Butts Park Arena - put up or shut up ! (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

SimonG! For what it's worth, I've never called you bad names (I don't think anyway...grey matter deteriorating...).

I do think you have Lego hair though.

Oh, I'm cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats in September. As you like publicising nomadic sporting efforts, I assume I'm in for a double page spread?

Cheers.

Moff

SimonG! For what it's worth, I've never called you bad names (I don't think anyway...grey matter deteriorating...).

I do think you have Lego hair though.

Oh, I'm cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats in September. As you like publicising nomadic sporting efforts, I assume I'm in for a double page spread?

Cheers.

Depends what your pose is ;)

torchomatic

That's what he wants as he prepares another hilarious 'people call me names n' shit' telegraph film special. ;)

I particularly liked the background giggling. Nice "see I'm not bothered" touch.

shmmeee

more importantly, it depends on where CRFC plan on being in 3-5 years time. I'm fairly sure it's not rattling around in a stadium bigger than 10-12,000.

That's the problem we fall between the two stools and can't afford our own stool. Too big for CRFC too small for Wasps.

Is there anything else that attracts 15-20k people at a time and needs a spot in Cov?

SkyblueSpecial

I'd much rather a smallish stadium with a modular design so it can be upgraded. Why built 25k on the hope we get back to the premier league one day and have it half empty?

Keep it at 15k or so, then if we get promoted have an easy upgrade.

How much do you suppose it would cost to expand a stadium from 15k to 25k?

And upgrade it to 25k at what point? 15k is far too small for us in the championship. So it would have to be expanded upon promotion from league 1. Where would the money come from for that?

Captain Dart

but that would shut off the only realistic avenue for access to the Butts from Albany Road. Even though it's currently blocked off there is a path between where the retirement village ends and the back of the theatre begins.

It would be another obstacle and they appear to be mounting, amazed if City end up there.
I was perusing the lapsed stadium planning permission last week, I'm pretty sure NO ACCESS FROM ALBANY ROAD was a condition.

Big_Ben

A 12k stadium at Butts would be ideal for next season. We will be in Division 4. But it wouldn't be ready that quickly even if everything was in place. We are now seeing an improvement in our team. So if the right players are brought in before next season we could easily get promotion. That would mean that it wouldn't be big enough when we would want to move in as the Ricoh deal ends.

But what is the point of discussing it happening when it won't?

1, Would SISU invest millions on something that they won't own?
Obviously in their eyes it would be better if they could own it, because they would have something to better attract new investment for their hedge fund business, but I'm not so sure that it is essential for them to own the stadium as long as they can run it profitably to show good returns to their investors.

Captain Dart

That's the problem we fall between the two stools and can't afford our own stool. Too big for CRFC too small for Wasps.

Is there anything else that attracts 15-20k people at a time and needs a spot in Cov?

A 20 acre site with reasonable road access that can be improved without inordinate expense will have to be found.

I wish there was one if there is it is bloody hard to spot.

torchomatic

How much do you suppose it would cost to expand a stadium from 15k to 25k?

And upgrade it to 25k at what point? 15k is far too small for us in the championship. So it would have to be expanded upon promotion from league 1. Where would the money come from for that?

You talk as if it is a season after season thing. Would be nice but unlikely. It has taken 16 years to fall to L2 from the PL so I would say we have a good decade before we need to worry too much about it. And as I said earlier if we are doing well then fans would just have to get an ST if they wanted to guarantee a seat.

SkyblueSpecial

but that would shut off the only realistic avenue for access to the Butts from Albany Road. Even though it's currently blocked off there is a path between where the retirement village ends and the back of the theatre begins.

It would be another obstacle and they appear to be mounting, amazed if City end up there.

I just mean that land was always earmarked for development. It was going to be gardens for the village, but they are now putting bungalows there instead. Either way it could never have been used as access.

I suspect that path, even if it was a public right of way, would be too narrow for the health and safety bods.

NorthernWisdom

A 20 acre site with reasonable road access that can be improved without inordinate expense will have to be found.

I wish there was one if there is it is bloody hard to spot.
Which I guess is where active, not passive support comes in, to get the heads up whenever things are likely to become available, what the long-term plans for areas are, etc.

Forget anything else, dialogue would allow a proactive, rather than a reactive solution.

Captain Dart

Which I guess is where active, not passive support comes in, to get the heads up whenever things are likely to become available, what the long-term plans for areas are, etc.

Forget anything else, dialogue would allow a proactive, rather than a reactive solution.

Trouble with SISU they never say what they need or want in plain English, they deploy numerous mirrors, smoke bombs, alarums and excursions to confuse and obfuscate the matter.

SkyblueSpecial

You talk as if it is a season after season thing. Would be nice but unlikely. It has taken 16 years to fall to L2 from the PL so I would say we have a good decade before we need to worry too much about it. And as I said earlier if we are doing well then fans would just have to get an ST if they wanted to guarantee a seat.

You don't think we will be back in the championship for a decade?

clint van damme

I just mean that land was always earmarked for development. It was going to be gardens for the village, but they are now putting bungalows there instead. Either way it could never have been used as access.

I suspect that path, even if it was a public right of way, would be too narrow for the health and safety bods.

and that, for me, is a fairly big factor how big the stadium capacity can be, no pedestrian or vehicular access from Albany Rd must present a serious H&S issue.

Grendel

The argument is always looked at the wrong way round. If you bought the club now and did a cost benefit analysis you'd never build a 25,000 stadium. How many times have we had 23,000 CCFC fans in the Ricoh. Less than 10 times in a decade I would guess and that from a new stadium effect - and with reduced pricing. Its a silly argument really. In an ideal world you'd want something that held 18,000 but would settle at 15,000 as a business owner. The reality anyway is if you want to be a force in the Championship you would have to throw far more money in than an extra few thousand in the door would get you.

Astute

So spending a fortune on a ground that would be half full at best, would probably ensure we would never, then, be in a position to have the success to fill it.

One could argue that going for a mahoosive ground above all else would be going for what you 'liked' rather than how to grow the club and, more importantly, how to bring it back to the community.
The same could be said for spending a lot of money on a ground that wouldn't be ours and not big enough if we got promoted next season. And it most probably wouldn't be anywhere near finished by then.

Astute

I'd much rather a smallish stadium with a modular design so it can be upgraded. Why built 25k on the hope we get back to the premier league one day and have it half empty?

Keep it at 15k or so, then if we get promoted have an easy upgrade.
But we have been told that it would be 12k maximum.

rupert_bear

You would think a proper local journo would go and ask the residents of that retirement village what they think of a professional football stadium to make revenue 364 days of year being on their doorstep,

skybluetony176

The argument is always looked at the wrong way round. If you bought the club now and did a cost benefit analysis you'd never build a 25,000 stadium. How many times have we had 23,000 CCFC fans in the Ricoh. Less than 10 times in a decade I would guess and that from a new stadium effect - and with reduced pricing. Its a silly argument really. In an ideal world you'd want something that held 18,000 but would settle at 15,000 as a business owner. The reality anyway is if you want to be a force in the Championship you would have to throw far more money in than an extra few thousand in the door would get you.

If anyone was going to do a cost benefit analysis they wouldn't be buying the club in the first place. Football isn't like any other business.

Limey

I love the idea of a Coventry stadium with CRC in the city centre but the butts seems far too restrictive in long term.

Drop legal rubbish and go full on trying to buy into Ricoh if wasps are as skint as people believe. An equally branded venue with wasps including seats and stadium frontage. There has to be a solution there and I suspect a new ccfc owner would go this route.

I suspect sisu don't have the beans to do it and are still persuing a route which gets them something for nothing. Never gonna happen and they should go now if that's their only tactic.

Nick

Administrator
I love the idea of a Coventry stadium with CRC in the city centre but the butts seems far too restrictive in long term.

Drop legal rubbish and go full on trying to buy into Ricoh if wasps are as skint as people believe. An equally branded venue with wasps including seats and stadium frontage. There has to be a solution there and I suspect a new ccfc owner would go this route.

I suspect sisu don't have the beans to do it and are still persuing a route which gets them something for nothing. Never gonna happen and they should go now if that's their only tactic.

Why buy into the bond debt?

Users who are viewing this thread