Match Thread Cambridge United - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 16th Sep (1 Viewer)

mark82

How can you have an outlier in a sample of two?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not really an outlier is it. Honestly, people need to cheer the fuck up a bit. We lost a game of football that we were the better team in. Prior to this game we hadn't conceded in 3 games. We've still conceded the least goals in the league.

letsallsingtogether

Were you at Grimsby? We were by far the better team, was hardly down to a mistake. If you are going to say that was only down to a mistake then you can say the same about the defeat to Yeovil.
That's our problem we are constantly the better team, problem is scoring goals to take full advantage can't keep on like that.
We make one mistake they score, they make 3 mistakes we don't score!

mark82

Exeter are a better side than us, our away form is terrible and Crewe always beat us.

Have you seen Swindon's home form? That is terrible. Exeter have conceded goals away but yet to concede at home. Crewe have scored 1 goal so far away. Statistics show all 3 are winnable.

Otis

Robins

Didn't deserve to lose

Reaction from supporters tells a story

Result unjust

Two goals where they've climbed higher

On top second half for large portions

Amount of chances created stands us in good stead

Created lots for ourselves and starting to look like a unit that will create

Have to take on chin and bounce back

Basically they've worked on putting balls into two big difficult strikes

Bitter pill to swallow

Theyve worked and got goals

Could have been 4-2 to us

Duck should have scored his second chance

No luck what so ever

Worked the ball well

Never going to be a knee jerk reaction for next game

No need for one

We are so close to cracking it away from home

Need to work a touch harder and smarter to crack it

Only talking dropping too deep and sat in little bit

Fine margins

Little bit of desire, little more effort

Davies has sickness bug; everyone be careful out there

Have highlighted two key lines there. You either have faith in Robins or you don't. If you have any faith at all in the bloke I would heed these words.

Wasn't there but it sounds like we clearly deserved something from the game.

mark82

That's our problem we are constantly the better team, problem is scoring goals to take full advantage can't keep on like that.
We make one mistake they score, they make 3 mistakes we don't score!

You're right, however, Nazon has scored 2 in 2. That said only 6 teams have scored less goals than us in the league (one of those is Cambridge). Goals are clearly the problem and are what is stopping us being top 3 at the moment.

Travs

My thoughts...

First half we were very lacklustre, after a good first 7 or 8 minutes. Jones looked the liveliest but his full back didn't help out by basically standing behind him, leaving him to come all the way off the touch line with two players to beat every time. We were bullied by their strikers. Happens all the time, we are technically as good (or if you like, as mediocre) as the opposition, but when it comes to a physical battle we always seem to lose out.

Second half was much better, no surprise that everything seemed to come from Jones, this half he was helped out by people getting over to him and taking defenders away, leaving him 1 on 1 with his marker.

Their 2nd goal was very good but you could see something like that happening, and when they broke away down their left it looked a nailed on goal from the very start. Thinking about it, their first goal was a very good header as well, but with a big looping cross like that, the striker should never have got the space to pull away from his marker, from such a static position.

Support was generally very good given the circumstances, a bit subdued at times, but when we got going it was impressive. That said, we have some utter mongs following us. In particular the guys abusing Oggy in the warmup... "time to go Oggy, get out the club"... very helpful. And yes everyone had a bit of a laugh at the Bob The Builder mascot, but about half a dozen lads by me giving a children's mascot some pretty hefty abuse and repeatedly,calling him a wanker, didn't exactly make them look hard. And I always chuckle at some of the absolute pie-merchants in our support who regularly call the opposition keeper a "fat bastard".

Nice ground, enjoyed the day, shame about the result.

Hobo

There are a lot of new bodies in this squad so it was always going to be a work in progress in the first few months. I have no idea why people thought every games was going to be a walk in the park.

skybluedan

There are a lot of new bodies in this squad so it was always going to be a work in progress in the first few months. I have no idea why people thought every games was going to be a walk in the park.

Because there mental?

mechaishida

Always massive over reactions to defeats on here.

True, my logic for this season is guarded optimism, since we could actually gather some momentum on the back of a few positive results.

Big problems up front though, ouch, we should have got 5 today. Ponti needs a few 30 minute cameos to see what he can do, we're desperately short of a clinical goal scorer.

Tommo72

Just got back...

First half poor, second half much better...

Fans very quiet generally especially in the first half, great to see lots of City drinking in the town centre....

Sick Boy

There were times in the first half that they wanted it a lot more than we did. Second half was much better though and think we have the quality within the squad to get at least playoffs. Keeping hold of Jones could prove to be tough in Jan though.

smileycov

Facebook User
Just got back, tbh I thought we were excellent second half. Very very unlucky not to score 2/3 or 4. Beavon worked his socks off deserved a goal, duck had great second half, didn't look up enough first half and spread the play. JJ is an outstanding talent. But he needs support on the right and a goal scorer, or pressure may tell. TBH I thought the mascot abuse was funny, made me smile on a wet bloody day. Play like that we will win more than we loose no doubts

larry_david

Cambridge are big bastards. Uche and ibhere upfront are both 6ft 3 at least. Deegan in midfield apparently been their mom 4 times already so that midfield match up will be good. On the wings they have no real pace but minguia has excellent delivery so whilst he will point blank refuse to run past a man, he can ping it onto the target. At the back they have leon legge, another big player who is fairly quick. This is a real test now for our squad. Early goal for us their crowd turn, they are not convinced by Derry in charge. They don't score many but don't conceded any. 0-0 is a very tempting prediction.

Hate being right about minguia. Two assists?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched the goals the marking for the first is appalling, the ball hangs in the air for that long the defence could have stopped and had a discussion about who's man it is!

Gazolba

<snip> Crewe always beat us.
The last time we played them (2016), we beat them 5-0 away from home!
Adam Armstrong got a hat-trick.
The time before that (2015), we beat them 3-2 at home.

Adge

Just seen the goals on the box-could Burge have done better with both?

steve82

Very poor defending by Jordan Willis to be easily nudged out of the vital yard of space to give Ibehre a free jump to score the opener. That's basic stuff

For all Peter Vincenti's pit falls he's been pivotal in our goals in the last 2 games and today put a great ball in for Nazon to score.

Mucca Mad Boys

Weren't at the game so can't comment much. Glad Duckens got a goal, 2 in 2 starts so proving to be a good goal scorer atm.

I'm really concerned when we concede first, every time we've done so, we've lost. That needs to be addressed. Ideally, I'd like us to get a big comeback win vs Exeter.

singers_pore

We had more than enough chances to win but we just lack a bit of luck and a bit of quality upfront. That said, I do think we look more threatening with The Duck up front.

The goals conceded were a bit sloppy although their No.9 was an absolute monster.

pusbccfc

Don't think there was a time Jones failed to beat his opposite full back I'm the second half. He ran himself into the ground.

skyblue025

Poor first half, much better second half. We can't let this become a pattern as exactly the same as the Carlisle game.

We weren't unlucky today, we lack quality in our forwards. We created plenty of chances but same old story can't hit the back of the net. Yes the keeper played well but it's not like he was pulling of worldie saves. Most of them were routine.

Don't see how anyone can point the finger at Burge for their goals. Poor marking for the first and the second was very well worked.

fernandopartridge

Just watched the goals. Grimmer should be getting much closer to that left winger for the second goal. First one concur with Willis poor positioning, ball watching rather than keeping an eye on his man.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread