Camwell (1 Viewer)

PVA

Looking forward to having Haynes back. Stokes seems to have regressed since his injury an offers nothing going forwards.

pastythegreat

Looking forward to having Haynes back. Stokes seems to have regressed since his injury an offers nothing going forwards.
He's offered little in way of defence this season too. Don't like to say it because he was a dependable rock in the Mowbray season. Good going forward, filled in at CH when called upon. But has been so off pace this season.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Otis

Stokes has been decent all season. Hasn’t hit the heights of Mowbray season, but he is part of the best defence in the league. He was never a game changer, or a played that bombed up and down all game.
He is a solid 6/7 every week.
Yeah. Don't think he is at the levels he was previously, but he still has been pretty solid. He's improved as the season has worn on, after starting rather rustily.

Esoterica

It's an entirely deliberate tactic. Stokes sits in when Grimmer gets forward and it's Grimmer who gets forward the most because Jodi Jones plays on his side. The few times Stokes has got forward this season have been when Jodi has swapped to the left wing. The full backs have clearly been told to support Jones and that just happens to be Grimmer most of the time.

Otis

It's an entirely deliberate tactic. Stokes sits in when Grimmer gets forward and it's Grimmer who gets forward the most because Jodi Jones plays on his side. The few times Stokes has got forward this season have been when Jodi has swapped to the left wing. The full backs have clearly been told to support Jones and that just happens to be Grimmer most of the time.
Yep and that's the worry if you replace Stokes with Haynes. Haynes by nature likes to get forwards, Grimmer too. Stokes is happy sitting back and defending his position.

I do think if we pick Haynes over Stokes we will be more vulnerable at the back.

Esoterica

Yep and that's the worry if you replace Stokes with Haynes. Haynes by nature likes to get forwards, Grimmer too. Stokes is happy sitting back and defending his position.

I do think if we pick Haynes over Stokes we will be more vulnerable at the back.
I'm not suggesting we do, as I'm not an advocate of introducing new systems mid season, but I really think a 3-5-2 would suit our players and give us extra dimensions in our attack
Willis - McDonald - Stokes
--------- Kelly - Doyle-------------
Jones----Vincenti------Haynes
--------Biamou-Nazon----------
* We'd maintain the defensive security of 2 holding midfielders.
* Have threat from both flanks with 2 wide players who can cut in and score or deliver a cross to Biamou and a late arriving Vincenti
* Would plug the gap between the strikers and deep holding midfielders and give us an option to build through the middle as well as the flanks.
* Bring the best out of Vincenti playing in his natural central role arriving late in the box.
* We maintain 2 out and out strikers without needing one to be defensive.

standupforcity

I'm not suggesting we do, as I'm not an advocate of introducing new systems mid season, but I really think a 3-5-2 would suit our players and give us extra dimensions in our attack
* Have threat from both flanks with 2 wide players who can cut in and score or deliver a cross to Biamou and a late arriving Vincenti
* Would plug the gap between the strikers and deep holding midfielders and give us an option to build through the middle as well as the flanks.
* Bring the best out of Vincenti playing in his natural central role arriving late in the box.
Sorry but you can't leave Grimmer out!!

Esoterica

Sorry but you can't leave Grimmer out!!
I think he's a decent enough L2 fullback, full of passion and running, but I don't think he's comfortable enough on the ball to play the role he's being asked to play going forward and certainly not in my entirely hypothetical 3-5-2 :)

PS. I see Lameiras is unable to get a start at rock bottom of the league, 5 points all season, Plymouth ;)

Bertola

We can't use Jones as a wingback. He's out most creative player, to ask him to expand energy tracking back so much is a waste in my eyes.

You could play the same team in a 4-4-2 however. Put Willis to RB, Stokes in the middle with Rod, and Haynes Left Back and Vincenti playing left mid, like at the start of the season.

This would give the vbalance Robins seems to like, with one attacking full back, and one more solid option, but it's changing 3 positions in the best back 5 in the Football league

dongonzalos

Stokes has never offered a great deal going forward. He has always been a solid defender.
He would really suit been on the left side of 3 CB's
Haynes is the opposite and is more suited to the wingback role than normal full back.
Grimmer seems to get the balance between attacking and defending just right.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Stokes has been improving recently, fitness obviously getting better. I thought he was decent Saturday

Yes - always difficult for a player when he's been out for a long time. Likely to be the case with Haynes too. The longer he stays injury free, the more he should improve as body adjusts, fitness improves (that's what I'm hoping, anyway!)

Also re:Camwell - just shows the fine line at this level - Stoke (Premier league) sniffing, then Solihull Moors. Who knows the level he will end up at. Some players drop leagues at an alarming rate of knots.

eastwoodsdustman

Camwell has looked our best left back from the games he's played. He's still very young and only gone on loan to get some game time and experience.

CCFC88

Stokes offered a great deal in the Mowbray half season when everything was going well and we were scoring shedloads,

No need to change the back four or the system unless injuries occur. Jones works best when he isolates a defender and runs at them, Stokes not getting forward as much could be a ploy to give Jodi more space to do his business especially early on in matches, he only needs help when teams start to double up on him then you either move him to the opposite side to get help from Grimmer or keep him isolated attracting 2 defenders attention and attack down the opposite side more with Grimmer + right winger.

PVA

Being more vulnerable at the back doesn't worry me though, we are defensively solid enough and very rarely look threatened. It's more attacking impetus that we need and I'm happy to forfeit an extra chance or two a game against us if it gains an extra chance or two per game at the other end.

Otis

Being more vulnerable at the back doesn't worry me though, we are defensively solid enough and very rarely look threatened. It's more attacking impetus that we need and I'm happy to forfeit an extra chance or two a game against us if it gains an extra chance or two per game at the other end.

But surely being more vulnerable will mean we are no longer defensively solid.

Users who are viewing this thread