Can anyone explain how this is not a terrorist attack? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Apologies if I missed this elsewhere, or it's already been reported, but the offender didn't look like he was of British descent to me (not meant to sound controversial - I know we come from lots of different backgrounds) - picture quality not great, but he had a bit of a 'Balkan' look about him (I will now get my tin hat, and await for his ethnicity to be revealed). Only mention it, as I happened across a dreadful racist attack programme on TV the other week involving an attack by 'similar' with mental health condition on an Asian based on that he was an Islamist (which he wasn't)

Liquid Gold

Did you see in America a 17 year old girl was shot and killed leaving her Mosque. So much hatred in the world right now.

wingy

Apologies if I missed this elsewhere, or it's already been reported, but the offender didn't look like he was of British descent to me (not meant to sound controversial - I know we come from lots of different backgrounds) - picture quality not great, but he had a bit of a 'Balkan' look about him (I will now get my tin hat, and await for his ethnicity to be revealed). Only mention it, as I happened across a dreadful racist attack programme on TV the other week involving an attack by 'similar' with mental health condition on an Asian based on that he was an Islamist (which he wasn't)
That's an interesting observation H though will wait for the actual information to be released.
From my limited exposure through work to eastern European attitudes I'd describe as quite Xenophobic, right wing and anti Islamist.
That sample is of one though, travelling back from Paris on Saturday evening he offered me a book to read, written by some Psychologist.
I gave it a go for twenty five pages, conclusion was that it was a one dimensional Imbalanced doctrine against the Islamic faith.
A world where we're all being betrayed by Politicians and Media in allowing Muhammad's aim for World domination to prosper.
Far worse than Satanic Verses which I never understood the reaction.

Sky Blue Harry H

That's an interesting observation H though will wait for the actual information to be released.
From my limited exposure through work to eastern European attitudes I'd describe as quite Xenophobic, right wing and anti Islamist.
That sample is of one though, travelling back from Paris on Saturday evening he offered me a book to read, written by some Psychologist.
I gave it a go for twenty five pages, conclusion was that it was a one dimensional Imbalanced doctrine against the Islamic faith.
A world where we're all being betrayed by Politicians and Media in allowing Muhammad's aim for World domination to prosper.
Far worse than Satanic Verses which I never understood the reaction.

You're better read than me Wingy (I read a lot, but more 'escapist' than existential stuff!)
Some people scare me. I'm currently helping out a former colleague on a casual basis at a Multi Academy Trust. For a while I was locked in a room with 2 women (not as good as it sounds!), the junior of whom expressed her opinion that the majority of the occupants of Grenfell Tower were from Iran, now they were complaining about fire regulations and 'I wonder what the fire regulations are like in Iran' Her line manager said nothing, I was quietly stunned at her lack of empathy, and she then repeated it to a teacher who came in the room. Again, nothing from the teacher. I had only just met the woman, and as I am just helping out, I didn't want to raise it formally with my old colleague (who is on the Leadership team) and drop her in it. Annoyed with myself for not challenging her about it, but if she'd have carried on, I think I would have made my excuses and left.

wingy

You're better read than me Wingy (I read a lot, but more 'escapist' than existential stuff!)
Some people scare me. I'm currently helping out a former colleague on a casual basis at a Multi Academy Trust. For a while I was locked in a room with 2 women (not as good as it sounds!), the junior of whom expressed her opinion that the majority of the occupants of Grenfell Tower were from Iran, now they were complaining about fire regulations and 'I wonder what the fire regulations are like in Iran' Her line manager said nothing, I was quietly stunned at her lack of empathy, and she then repeated it to a teacher who came in the room. Again, nothing from the teacher. I had only just met the woman, and as I am just helping out, I didn't want to raise it formally with my old colleague (who is on the Leadership team) and drop her in it. Annoyed with myself for not challenging her about it, but if she'd have carried on, I think I would have made my excuses and left.
Dumbfounding H.
If there is such a word!

bringbackrattles

We have to face reality here this is going to get a lot worse. On the radio this morning I've never heard so many angry people. Muslims ranting and non Muslims venting their spleen. A psychologist the other day says hot weather increases anger ! Its bloody boiling at the moment so I'm getting ready to hear of more bloodshed somewhere.

Nick

Administrator
apparently a policeman has been attacked now :(

It's going to become an everyday occurence isn't it?

rob9872

There has been noticeably less chat here at work today about it, but then there wasn't much for the London Bridge attack too. Possibly with London it was more because of the Election, but I don't think it's just the scale, but more the fact it was a concert full of kids that resonated with many of us and why Manchester was the one debated strongly and felt a greater connection to or more angry about.

The reality is that all terrorist attacks should be treated equally, but due to this one being directed at a mosque, then the response needs to be a very measured one as the wrong statement could incite either more attacks or more hatred from both sides of extremism.

Liquid Gold

Pick a deserted island somewhere remote, in the south pacific or something, and send all the Islamist terrorist, fundamentalists and racists and let them battle each other if that's what they want. The rest of us normal people of all faiths, races and cultures can get on with living a normal life.

Otis

Been named as Darren Osbourne, from Wales.

Yeah, definitely the Balkans.

Ian1779

not much wall to wall media coverage compared to other terror attacks. heck a silver printer cartridge thread is above this one as i type this.

sad world we live in.

You do also need to put into context that the guy is not dead and in custody... so the media have to be careful that reporting to does not affect an ongoing criminal investigation.

Nick

Administrator
People all over the news kicking off that out wasn't labelled as terrorism quick enough because they were Muslim.

How long did it take for Manchester to say terrorism?

Otis

People all over the news kicking off that out wasn't labelled as terrorism quick enough because they were Muslim.

How long did it take for Manchester to say terrorism?
Which is what I was saying this morning and even at 5am some were demanding it be labelled as a terrorist attack even though it was still confused and a very fresh incident.

There have been a number of occasions where other incidents have not been immediately labelled as terrorist. I have noticed it about 3 times it not more.

Macca

Tell you what though in a strange way I reckon those in charge may secretly welcome this. Given that they have proved incapable of protecting the population over recent weeks from a number of tragic events this may be a get out for the next big attack. Kind of an "expected given the recent mosque attack" tactic. Mr Khan has already said effectively "shit happens" if you live in a big city.

I genuinely think that given the lack of control government will use anything to normalise recent events

Sky Blue Harry H

Egg on face - apologies to everyone in the Balkans (except for the nasty ones !)

Macca

Egg on face - apologies to everyone in the Balkans (except for the nasty ones !)

I think the point is valid though that in this day and age in the U.K, white does not always mean the dastardly white Britain.
Certainly be interesting to know more about this twat

Otis

I think the point is valid though that in this day and age in the U.K, white does not always mean the dastardly white Britain.
Certainly be interesting to know more about this twat
Well he's Welsh for starters, so it doesn't bode well.

dancers lance

I was up at 3:30 this morning and this was already being reported very differently to the Manchester attack, however, unlike the media, let's not be so quick to create a narrative until we know all of the facts.

Macca

To be fair I guess each attack is slightly different apart from the common theme that the actions are despicable

Macca

Another point is the strange emotion that is "fear" largely based on perception . Fear I would suggest is largely irrational though no less real. There are sad consequences of the current climate. I'll put my neck on the line. If I see a man of Muslim appearance fiddling nervously with a rucksack at an airport I'm going to put 2 and 2 together and make 5. Similarly after last night many Muslims are going to think there are an army of nazi looms ready to repeat what happened in Finsbury. Sad consequence of sad times

Captain Dart

SkyblueBazza

This
1ad5ba04c7fccd4842b80075692927a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Macca

We can only hope against the odds but you will never remove the tribalistic nature of humans

Nick

Administrator
Anybody see Tommy Robinson on ITV this morning?

He managed to get Piers Morgan worked up which was quite entertaining, it was like Austin Powers where he does the "zip" and "zippit" when they try to speak.

Ian1779

Morgan just kept cutting him off, it's probably actually driven more people to go and listen to what he has to say.

I do find it bizarre why people like Robinson are given any publicity at all.. same with Farage (former leader of a party with precisely 0 MP's) and Hopkins. The xenophobic rubbish they pedal can incite people just as much.

W

westcountry_skyblue

The guy that carried out the attack was an English guy living in Wales,Originally from where I live Weston Super Mare.
My mate called me last night and he went to school with him,Said he knew him quite well.
A bit of a lad but no real strong political views although a member of his family was injured at London Bridge.

Nick

Administrator
I do find it bizarre why people like Robinson are given any publicity at all.. same with Farage (former leader of a party with precisely 0 MP's) and Hopkins. The xenophobic rubbish they pedal can incite people just as much.

If anything having him on there and cutting him off did the opposite, he seemed to go in with facts and figures to back up what he was saying whereas Morgan just kept cutting him off and speaking over him rather than disproving him and proving him wrong.

If you get him on and just disprove everything he says it discredits him to a larger audience, Morgan didn't seem to do that as he hadn't done any research whereas Robinson was throwing things like Scientology at Morgan from his past rants.

It didn't need shouting over him, it needed somebody to pick apart what he was saying I think.

Users who are viewing this thread