CAN WE GET NOTHING RIGHT IN THIS CITY!! (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Vicious circle innit? Like retail in the city centre. Nothing there, so no one wants to come, so there's nothing there.

I think Friargate is one of the better projects, but like all the others hinges on private investment and no one wants to be the first the invest. I think with Brexit coming up we're going to see a few cancelled projects. Cov and Warwick Unis rely heavily on foreign students as well, which is likely to go. Bad decisions around tariffs on the the car industry could scupper Jag plans as well. I see City Centre South has got some funding from WMCA, but I can't see how it can be a success, retail is dead and we don't need a cinema.

With no students, no retail and no business, not sure what you can do with the city to be honest. Pre-Brexit it looked like we might actually be on the up a bit, but that's seemingly been cut off at the knees.

clint van damme

Perhaps the fact that the Cov - London train service may be reduced has put them off.

Might have been worth checking that wasn't in the pipeline before spunking 100 million, not like CCC to make a monumental fuck up................actually it is.

Otis

Perhaps the fact that the Cov - London train service may be reduced has put them off.

Might have been worth checking that wasn't in the pipeline before spunking 100 million, not like CCC to make a monumental fuck up................actually it is.
Coventry station is the fastest growing station in the country, London apart.

I really don't think the cuts will go through. There is a great argument to be had for retaining the services.

clint van damme

Coventry station is the fastest growing station in the country, London apart.

I really don't think the cuts will go through. There is a great argument to be had for retaining the services.

I don't think they will cut it either, but is there a good enough argument to blow 100 million without cast iron guarantees?

Captain Dart

Its all bit too speculative & spectacular, I can see this 2nd block never getting built.

shmmeee

Ah the modern world, ain't it grand.

To be fair council officers can only fill so much space.

I wonder why RICS can't rent building two but can building one. Do you get that much of a discount for bunking up with the council?

Personally, if it was me I'd focus on making it a decent place to live rather than trying to regenerate the centre. We have a massive shortage of decent quality housing in the city and are well placed for the two biggest cities in the country.

But like you say in the Bees thread, it's all well and good getting people here but what is there for them to do?

Would be interested to know of any city regeneration projects that have worked. It all hinges on employment and you can't magic that up.

We really are unlucky, Belgrade Plaza and all that just before the GFC, then the new round before Brexit. I swear this city is cursed.

Its all bit too speculative & spectacular, I can see this 2nd block never getting built.

Any development like this would be speculative. If there was massive demand the private sector would sort it themselves (see student housing).

clint van damme

when you've got a cretin like Jim O'Boyle in charge of regeneration it's hardly surprising things go tits up.
I wouldn't trust him to wash my car.

shmmeee

when you've got a cretin like Jim O'Boyle in charge of regeneration it's hardly surprising things go tits up.
I wouldn't trust him to wash my car.

I know it's cool just to hate everyone at the moment, but I'd be seriously interested in what you'd do?

Despite what some on here think, I disagree with a fair bit of what CCC do, but it's a shit job in the first place with no easy answers. I honestly don't think the answer is always "Everyone's stupid" and if it is, well they're obviously better than anyone else because they're the ones there. Anyone else worth their salt should be able to get their job if they're better politicians/city planners/whatever.

Not picking on you, just come off my Facebook feed and everyone is so fucking angry and calling everyone corrupt and cunts and this and that. It's not healthy and it's not how we get better stuff. You just turn off everyone but the most thick skinned arse holes who can take it.

Also, blaming one person in a system like the council is ridiculous, the whole thing is set up for collective responsibility for a reason. Rail against that if you like.

duffer

Christ, I've agreed with Shmmee twice. But fair's fair, I agree. I know a couple of councillors, and they're certainly not bad people. However the organisation itself has made some pretty poor decisions, and I've got some questions about the motives (or possibly competence) of some of the key players in regard to a few of them.

However tarring the whole place with the same brush gets us nowhere, and neither does giving up on democracy because you can't be arsed to pay attention to it. In fact the latter action is, imho, particularly dangerous because that's when the real nutters get their hands on the controls.

I also completely agree that the focus needs to be drawing jobs into the city and making it a great place to live, and that means looking beyond just sticking thousands of houses on whatever green space we've got left so that we can all get stuck in the traffic jams on the way to our work in Birmingham or elsewhere. Again, imho.

clint van damme

I know it's cool just to hate everyone at the moment, but I'd be seriously interested in what you'd do?

Despite what some on here think, I disagree with a fair bit of what CCC do, but it's a shit job in the first place with no easy answers. I honestly don't think the answer is always "Everyone's stupid" and if it is, well they're obviously better than anyone else because they're the ones there. Anyone else worth their salt should be able to get their job if they're better politicians/city planners/whatever.

Not picking on you, just come off my Facebook feed and everyone is so fucking angry and calling everyone corrupt and cunts and this and that. It's not healthy and it's not how we get better stuff. You just turn off everyone but the most thick skinned arse holes who can take it.

Also, blaming one person in a system like the council is ridiculous, the whole thing is set up for collective responsibility for a reason. Rail against that if you like.

first thing first, I would hate to be in the public eye, I'd rather iron the creases out of my ball sack. I wouldn't be any good at the job but even if I knew I could do it I wouldn't because I hate being in the limelight.
You're right about the collective responsibility bit, but O'Boyle is in charge of regeneration and at the moment it could really go tits up.
The council have failed miserably, trust me, the current growth and green shoots of regeneration in the area are despite the council not because of them. But it all seems to be hanging on a knifes edge.
There are companies desperate to move into Coventry but can't because they need industrial premises with 3 phase but the council decided to turn the area into a giant warehouse building logistics park after logistics park.
They want to regenerate the city centre but let Primark occupy one of it's flag ship buildings. I'm sure they're paying a decent rent but they should have given the building away to a top retailer just to get things kick started.

They blocked out the view of our iconic Cathedral by building the horrific catherdral lanes and instead of getting rid of it during this latest round of redevelopment they decide to fill the fucker with chain restaurant, (someone should be jailed for this decision).

There are people, (Coventrians), who are leaders in their fields who could be real poster boys and girls for the City who will not deal with the council, (I know one personally but won't name names),
I'm sure I'll remember more or wish I'd expressed some of the sentiment better but they drive me mad thinking about them!!

ccfctommy

first thing first, I would hate to be in the public eye, I'd rather iron the creases out of my ball sack. I wouldn't be any good at the job but even if I knew I could do it I wouldn't because I hate being in the limelight.
You're right about the collective responsibility bit, but O'Boyle is in charge of regeneration and at the moment it could really go tits up.
The council have failed miserably, trust me, the current growth and green shoots of regeneration in the area are despite the council not because of them. But it all seems to be hanging on a knifes edge.
There are companies desperate to move into Coventry but can't because they need industrial premises with 3 phase but the council decided to turn the area into a giant warehouse building logistics park after logistics park.
They want to regenerate the city centre but let Primark occupy one of it's flag ship buildings. I'm sure they're paying a decent rent but they should have given the building away to a top retailer just to get things kick started.

They blocked out the view of our iconic Cathedral by building the horrific catherdral lanes and instead of getting rid of it during this latest round of redevelopment they decide to fill the fucker with chain restaurant, (someone should be jailed for this decision).

There are people, (Coventrians), who are leaders in their fields who could be real poster boys and girls for the City who will not deal with the council, (I know one personally but won't name names),
I'm sure I'll remember more or wish I'd expressed some of the sentiment better but they drive me mad thinking about them!!

Disagree. It's made a unpopular building useful. Loads of people use those bars and resturants.

clint van damme

Disagree. It's made a unpopular building useful. Loads of people use those bars and resturants.

and blocked the view of our most iconic building?
They could have easily made a restaurant corner elsewhere, it's not like there's a shortage of unused buildings.

Otis

Yes, totally agree. It has brought people into the city and they have been a big success and now Cathedral Lanes is looking finally nice at last (colourful and vibrant).

Cosy Club are extending and new restaurants are due to move in and they are also building round the back too.

Should bring some much needed life into the city for a change.

I'm all for it.

Cathedral Lanes wasn't going to be knocked down, so this is the best usage by a country mile.

rondog1973

Yes, totally agree. It has brought people into the city and they have been a big success and now Cathedral Lanes is looking finally nice at last (colourful and vibrant).

Cosy Club are extending and new restaurants are due to move in and they are also building round the back too.

Should bring some much needed life into the city for a change.

I'm all for it.

Cathedral Lanes wasn't going to be knocked down, so this is the best usage by a country mile.
Now if they could just get Wilko's to move elsewhere.....

Otis

Now if they could just get Wilko's to move elsewhere.....
Yep.

BHS would be the obvious choice.

Wilko's are really struggling for space. Their warehouse at the back is very, very small and there's hardly room to swing a cat.

Shelves are often empty because they can't get the stuff out on the shop floor quick enough.

BHS would give them much more room.

Would rather a flagship store there of course, but it's a reasonably old building now, so I can't see that happening.

rondog1973

Yep.

BHS would be the obvious choice.

Wilko's are really struggling for space. Their warehouse at the back is very, very small and there's hardly room to swing a cat.

Shelves are often empty because they can't get the stuff out on the shop floor quick enough.

BHS would give them much more room.

Would rather a flagship store there of course, but it's a reasonably old building now, so I can't see that happening.
Is the old Woolworths vacant? At the risk of sounding snobby think that would be better as a bit more concealed.

Otis

And on the note of Poundland, they need to change their signage now surely. Outside on the frontage it say 'Poundland - Everything's a Pound.'

Clearly not true. If you go in Poundland now there are lots of products costing £3 upwards. They have changed their market somewhat and I was in on Tuesday. Lots of stuff £3, £5, £8, £10, even £12.

It was obvious they would have to do that because even tat goes up in price.

Surely they cannot now say 'Everything's a Pound!' Misleading and surely not legal.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Pre-Brexit: JLR warns if you vote leave, (general) development in the West Midlands will be severely affected, especially if you vote to leave the single market.
Today (pretty much following May's speech where she said we would be leaving the single market): New plans for Coventry's former Peugeot site at Ryton

That's why everyone needs to look past the scaremongering. Remaining positive is the only way we will be able to see if it will work.

clint van damme

Pre-Brexit: JLR warns if you vote leave, (general) development in the West Midlands will be severely affected, especially if you vote to leave the single market.
Today (pretty much following May's speech where she said we would be leaving the single market): New plans for Coventry's former Peugeot site at Ryton

That's why everyone needs to look past the scaremongering. Remaining positive is the only way we will be able to see if it will work.

that's just one example though, it doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
The effects of Brexit, whether good or bad, won't be known until it actually happens.

Users who are viewing this thread