Can't pay we'll take it away. (1 Viewer)

hotrod

Anybody else watched this on Channel 5?
It is amazing to see people's attitude toward family,creditors and authority.

Regards.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yep annoys me they go in all the big Man and when there is a bit of a stand off call for immediate police cover they should have to wait like other people do or pay for the service.

Nick

Administrator
Some of them do give it loads, a couple of them are alright and manage to calm it down.

Some of the people they are taking things from are jokers though, obviously just spending money they know they will never have them wondering why things get taken away from them. It's another one of those programmes that should be shit, but you watch!

Captain Dart

Yep annoys me they go in all the big Man and when there is a bit of a stand off call for immediate police cover they should have to wait like other people do or pay for the service.
So I gather you are not in favour of the rule of law?

Terry Gibson's perm

Happy for it but if I get broken into the police will turn up when they have time/if at all they ring them and they are there in minutes (tv minutes), they should have to wait like everybody else. Some of the people who do it are reasonable but others just stir up an already difficult situation

Rich

Happy for it but if I get broken into the police will turn up when they have time/if at all they ring them and they are there in minutes (tv minutes), they should have to wait like everybody else. Some of the people who do it are reasonable but others just stir up an already difficult situation
But if there's a situation that warrants their immediate attention then they do show up pretty quick.

A Burglary when the burglars are already gone does not warrant an emergency response as they can't influence the outcome.

pastythegreat

But if there's a situation that warrants their immediate attention then they do show up pretty quick.

A Burglary when the burglars are already gone does not warrant an emergency response as they can't influence the outcome.
I think what he's trying to say (and I agree with), is that you get some bailiffs turn up with a big man attitude trying to intimidate people, then when it kicks off call the old bill in wasting their time and resources. When if they'd of just politely knocked the door and said we need money or your TV sir let's work something out! It could of (maybe) been resolved without wasting the old bills time!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Rich

I think what he's trying to say (and I agree with), is that you get some bailiffs turn up with a big man attitude trying to intimidate people, then when it kicks off call the old bill in wasting their time and resources. When if they'd of just politely knocked the door and said we need money or your TV sir let's work something out! It could of (maybe) been resolved without wasting the old bills time!

Generally, by the time it gets to these bailiffs, a little bit of intimidation is sometimes required as the people clearly won't pay with the nicely nicely approach.

On an aside that Delroy fella has got leukeamia and they're trying to find a donor match for him.

Terry Gibson's perm

On the show they turn up and say these chaps are right let them in and that's all that ever happens it's hardly an emergency, I have to say I have used a debt collector and they got the cash pretty quickly.

With an criminally understaffed police force I am not sure rushing out to deal with a little old lady who is threatening a 20 stone man is a good use of emergency police (but it is tv and it may be an hour before they get there)

If I was burgled I would say they are still here or better still I have caught somebody in the house and he is in serious danger if you don't get here quickly so they can't waste it but I can:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do know of somebody who caught a burglar in his house and the burglar had a very tough couple of days :emoji_kissing_smiling_eyes:

Nick

Administrator
We had baliffs come once because somebody over the road had put the wrong house number down, had about 5 letters in somebody elses name and phoned them up and told them every time. One day they kept knocking the door and wife told them to piss off over the road and locked all doors and windows but as they had our address they were intent on trying to get something, even though they had no proof the person lived there and we had told them. It was for unpaid council tax of about 15 grand.

If they had come like they go on the TV in the police probably would have had to have been called as we had a newborn and we weren't even in debt so wouldn't have been too happy to have had to rush from work to that.

Few weeks later the people over the road moved. Dodgy.

Captain Dart

The TV never shows any bailiff (or enforcement officer as they're called nowadays) taking the first approach which I imagine would not be legal or tolerated by the employers because it is bullying or harrasment.

hotrod

I have watched a few episodes from Series 5, and I am amazed at the restraint shown by agents in the face of intimidation,verbal and physical abuse.In one episode the debtors managed,while the agents were on site, to obtain a "Stay of Execution" of the enforcement but without any provocation physically and verbally attacked one of the agents.

From what i have seen the agents always seem very polite and willing to help,where possible, the debtors sort out their problems.

Regards.

hotrod

The TV never shows any bailiff (or enforcement officer as they're called nowadays) taking the first approach which I imagine would not be legal or tolerated by the employers because it is bullying or harrasment.

What evidence do you have of this so called"First Approach"?

Regards.

Covstu

Programmes like this annoy me and clearly designed for that purpose (similar to the benefits type programmes). Why would you allow yourself to be recorded on things like this?

hotrod

Programmes like this annoy me and clearly designed for that purpose (similar to the benefits type programmes). Why would you allow yourself to be recorded on things like this?

In some of the earlier episodes somebody followed the agents about with a hand held camera,and were frequently asked to leave the property while negotiations took place. This latest series it looks as though the agents are wearing body cams, a good job too in order to provide evidence when they are abused. In an episode in series 5,the debtor suddenly accused the agents of stealing £2000.00 from himself,the body cam would have shown any evidence of this.

Regards.

M&B Stand

Often the police are called by bailiffs and although they're only supposed to prevent a breach of the peace, they end up assisting the debt collector, usually a private company like DBCL or Marstons.

Captain Dart

Often the police are called by bailiffs and although they're only supposed to prevent a breach of the peace, they end up assisting the debt collector, usually a private company like DBCL or Marstons.
I've seen these programs, what they usually do is explain the law and confirm what they are being told about seizure of goods & entry to property etc. is true. It isn't 'assistance'.

Captain Dart

What evidence do you have of this so called"First Approach"?

Regards.
I don't the earlier poster, patsy suggested bailiffs were heavy handed, obviously you don't see that on TV, what happens without cameras I can't tell you, never have or ever will be in debt.

M&B Stand

I've seen these programs, what they usually do is explain the law and confirm what they are being told about seizure of goods & entry to property etc. is true. It isn't 'assistance'.

You have a look on YouTube you'll see plenty of police assisting bailiffs. The TV shows rarely show them or the ones where the person being pursued knows their full rights.

Liquid Gold

I had a train fine for 30 quid that I forgot to pay once as I wasn't in a great frame of mind. I forgot to swipe my Oyster card as was going to a friends funeral and the fine just left my mind. I moved house a few months later and it had completely left my mind until, maybe a year later, a bailiff turned up at my house demanding I pay him £600 pounds immediately or I'd be going to prison, the guy was shouting, aggressive and wouldn't even explain what the debt was for. Fair enough I should have paid the fine but I was shocked that I had no contact from tfl at all even though my oyster card was registered to my new address and I couldn't believe it went from £30 to £600 just like that.

I can tell you though the actions of these bailiffs greatly differ when they're not being filmed.

Nick

Administrator
The ones that came to my house by mistake had an attitude on them as well. Woman on her own in the house with a baby was obviously an easy target.

hotrod

In my experience, when a "County court Bailiff" knocks on your door you can still apply for the Judgement to be set aside without paying anything on the day.In the situation regarding "High Court Enforcement"officers you can still apply for the Judgement to be set aside,but you will still have to pay on the day and if you successfully defend the claim your money will be refunded.

I agree with what Nick has said about some people being an easy target, but if the person could prove that they were not debtor I do not see a problem.

If you have watched "Can't Pay We'll Take It Away" the officers in the programme have been well trained in restraint, as camera or no camera some of the aggression shown against them it is remarkable how they manage to control themselves.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread