Career changes (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Been thinking for a while about switching professions back to something outside teaching. I've seen a few jobs that look ideal, not too big a drop in pay etc but are mostly on fixed term contracts. Is it worth taking the gamble on job security for better job satisfaction? Or anyone else done something similar in the past?

shepardo01

Been thinking for a while about switching professions back to something outside teaching. I've seen a few jobs that look ideal, not too big a drop in pay etc but are mostly on fixed term contracts. Is it worth taking the gamble on job security for better job satisfaction? Or anyone else done something similar in the past?
Read some of your posts regarding your job BSB, particularly the lockdown issues. Would it be worth maybe looking at another school before you look at getting out of the teaching profession. My partner is currently in exactly the same boat/having same feelings as you!

fernandopartridge

I think you'll probably be OK in the current labour market with a fixed term contract, if it's a reasonable period it gives you time to build experience in whatever it is you're doing and line something up at the end of it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Read some of your posts regarding your job BSB, particularly the lockdown issues. Would it be worth maybe looking at another school before you look at getting out of the teaching profession. My partner is currently in exactly the same boat/having same feelings as you!

Where I’m working is pretty much ideal. But in my mind I don’t want to spend the next 30 years as a classroom teacher, and the immense pressure on middle management doesn’t make promotion that appealing. Senior management increasingly is more about being ‘corporate’ and in any case would take a fairly long time to reach.

The jobs I’ve seen lately do tick a lot of boxes except for the lack of security, which is my dilemma.

Brighton Sky Blue

It depends on the risk I guess, how long are the contracts?
I think you'll probably be OK in the current labour market with a fixed term contract, if it's a reasonable period it gives you time to build experience in whatever it is you're doing and line something up at the end of it.

Some 6 months, others 12. My worry is being left exposed at the end of either.

shmmeee

I’ve not had short term contracts since going private sector TBH, but the knowledge you can be got rid of in a month is there and less certainty that there’ll be something on the other side. But you get to quiet that with better pay and conditions and a wider variety of workplaces to find somewhere you like.

Brighton Sky Blue

How much work is out there and how long would it take to find something? Just start looking 3-4 months from the end of your contract if needed.

Some of these are still state sector, and to be honest the more appealing ones are.

Bertola

Not exactly the same situation, but may provide some insight none the less.

After 7 years at a bank head office (6 of which were mostly unhappy) I took a leap of faith and move into the retail sector, taking a job in London. The jump in salary didn't cover the wages, and I was lucky in the fact that after a few months, I was able to transfer to a role in Coventry, but despite the racking up of credit card debt over 6 months covering the train, I'd make the move every day of the week if offered again.

I appreciate that if I wasn't able to move then I might not look as favourably on it, but we spent such a big proportion of our lives at work, that being unhappy there effects everything else.

fernandopartridge

Some of these are still state sector, and to be honest the more appealing ones are.

TBH the fixed term contract is quite likely to go beyond its term then, you find that FTC in the public sector are just because of nonsense financial rules that stop you committing to spend money in future years not because the role isn't needed at the end of the term.

Brighton Sky Blue

TBH the fixed term contract is quite likely to go beyond its term then, you find that FTC in the public sector are just because of nonsense financial rules that stop you committing to spend money in future years not because the role isn't needed at the end of the term.

Very good to know that, it did seem odd from the descriptions that it‘d become redundant after half a year. Obviously couldn’t bank on that being a certainty but still.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If I could give you any advice, I would set up a LinkedIn page and pay the premium subscription. If you change your 'status' to 'open to work' you will get recruiters coming after you. It helped me no end and I also use it to employ others as well as it gives you really specific skill sets and and the idea of a person (not just a tarted up CV). You can continue working and see what kind of bites you get in the meantime.

clint van damme

Jump and the net will appear.

You'll be fine, and there's more important things than money, you're clearly not happy in teaching.

Brighton Sky Blue

If I could give you any advice, I would set up a LinkedIn page and pay the premium subscription. If you change your 'status' to 'open to work' you will get recruiters coming after you. It helped me no end and I also use it to employ others as well as it gives you really specific skill sets and and the idea of a person (not just a tarted up CV). You can continue working and see what kind of bites you get in the meantime.
Jump and the net will appear.

You'll be fine, and there's more important things than money, you're clearly not happy in teaching.

All good advice chaps, cheers.

Flying Fokker

Where I’m working is pretty much ideal. But in my mind I don’t want to spend the next 30 years as a classroom teacher, and the immense pressure on middle management doesn’t make promotion that appealing. Senior management increasingly is more about being ‘corporate’ and in any case would take a fairly long time to reach.

The jobs I’ve seen lately do tick a lot of boxes except for the lack of security, which is my dilemma.
If… you are in a Good pension scheme you may wish to stay there. Time flies and you’ll reap the rewards in your late 50’s if you have the mettle to stay where you are. If you are ambitious and are prepared to take personal risks then maybe it is time to move on?

if you handle pressure in your current role, then perhaps you are in your best role already?

Fortune favors the brave. But the meek can still have a good retirement if they soldier on.

Brighton Sky Blue

If… you are in a Good pension scheme you may wish to stay there. Time flies and you’ll reap the rewards in your late 50’s if you have the mettle to stay where you are. If you are ambitious and are prepared to take personal risks then maybe it is time to move on?

if you handle pressure in your current role, then perhaps you are in your best role already?

Fortune favors the brave. But the meek can still have a good retirement if they soldier on.

Well put this way I would leave a decent pension scheme for a better one. It’s the job security that’s the sticking factor

rob9872

You definitely should change, I know how hard you teachers work. Some think it's 18 weeks holiday, numerous training days and a 3.30 finish, but they don't take into account all that marking and lesson planning. I'd guess you're at least 9% underpaid too! 😉

Macca1987

I'm in agreement with the others above. Spent 14 years at Rover before jumping ship and after numerous short term permanent roles, I took the leap to contracting, never looked back, in 25 years been out of work twice. Last 7 years working in the public sector. Getting a lot of agencies now offering 12 and 24 month FTC. As I'm getting old now might look into one of these sometime in the future. As was said above re the FTC, especially in the public sector is mainly down to budgets, if the work is still there they tend to fund it year on year. Whatever you decide BSB, good luck for the future

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No it's not. Teaching is the same everywhere. If you are thinking of changing schools because of the long hours, stress, paperwork, unrealistic expectations then get out because it's the same everywhere.
Teaching is a conveyor belt of people who burn out relatively quickly. It's not about making a difference, going out on a limb for the students etc ( Which it should be.) It's about tests,results, blame and towing the line. It's about giving up your life, your family and your kids for a system where you are battling every day against increased poor behaviour, political correctness and window dressing.
Get out and do something else.

shmmeee

No it's not. Teaching is the same everywhere. If you are thinking of changing schools because of the long hours, stress, paperwork, unrealistic expectations then get out because it's the same everywhere.
Teaching is a conveyor belt of people who burn out relatively quickly. It's not about making a difference, going out on a limb for the students etc ( Which it should be.) It's about tests,results, blame and towing the line. It's about giving up your life, your family and your kids for a system where you are battling every day against increased poor behaviour, political correctness and window dressing.
Get out and do something else.

If it’s systemic stuff sure, but there are huge differences in working conditions between schools in my experience.

Rest of your post I’d agree with pretty much.

Ian1779

My wife left teaching after 17 years last year. She was lucky enough to get a job at Teach First as a Development Lead (initially a fixed-term contract) so it’s still very relevant to her previous experience. The change in terms of work-life balance has been astonishing to be honest, the being home based was the biggest incentive. Not sure if that is something that you would like, but from an outsider looking in the lower salary and even less job security was a risk worth taking.

Users who are viewing this thread