Cathedral Lanes revamp (1 Viewer)

Otis

3 restaurants there at the moment. They are saying it is going to be increased to 10.

That will surely add a bit more life into the city centre.

fernandopartridge

The frontage isn't going to change much, but a lot seemingly going on behind the scenes.

Live: First glimpse at Cathedral Lanes shopping centre revamp

The changes on the Pepper Lane side are the best thing about the development. It looks (hopefully) like things are picking up in Cov.

pepper-lane-2JPG.jpg

Pepper-lane-1JPG.jpg

Otis

They are plenty of tourists coming to the cathedral and the student population is booming, so all these restaurants will be ideal.

So.... like to guess on the 7 new restaurants?

Five Guys Named Moe (they've already said they want to move into Coventry)

Two independents

Zizzi

Handmade Burger Co

A Mexican

Jamie's Italian (no he's not, he was born in the south of England, b'dum, tssh!!)

? Can't think who else.

Last edited:

wingy

If only we were Greater Manchester.
Another 0.6billion being pumped in up there from the UK taxpayer.
If only someone could come with a buzzword such as Northern Powerhouse. :mad:

clint van damme

It should be knocked down, it's a monstrosity!

Knock it down and create a feature walkway from Broadgate upto the cathedrals, with the right lighting it would look stunning at night.
Boot Primark out of the Owen Owen building and put all the restaurants in there.

fernandopartridge

Knock it down and create a feature walkway from Broadgate upto the cathedrals, with the right lighting it would look stunning at night.
Boot Primark out of the Owen Owen building and put all the restaurants in there.

What benefit is the walkway though? Yes we've got a stunning new Cathedral but what's the point of a vast empty space in front of it? I think we've got accept that even though Cathedral Lanes isn't a great building, its new restaurants have brought life to and vastly improved Broadgate, and further restaurants will improve it further with a link into medieval Pepper Lane for a pleasant walk through to the cathedrals.

clint van damme

it's our most iconic building, Lady Godiva is an iconic statue and stuck between the two is that eyesore.
Other cathedrals have the lit walkways and they look amazing.
The top of ours peeps out over the top of Wilkinsons.
I agree about the difference attracting the restaurants has made which is why I suggested putting them where Primak is, having Primark in a flagship building ina a prime location is another fuck up. Appreciate we were never going to attract Harrods but is Primark the best we could do?

shmmeee

Like the CL plans, especially the link on Pepper Lane.

Still not convinced by the CCS plans. Do we need another cinema right next to the Odeon? And it's another one that's all reliant on big organisations that haven't come to Coventry deciding to come. Need to see more detail though, haven't had a proper shufty through the latest plans.

LastGarrison

There will be a better walk way and almost a plaza up to the cathedral from the other side with the plans that the Uni have to knock down and replace some of the (awful) buildings there which then should create a nice walk through to Cathedral Lanes and then eventually all the way through to the train station.

I know our council have a history of fucking things up but if they even get things half right with the recently released plans then it should be a real shot in the arm for the city centre.

With the plans of the new restaurants you have to think they have come to an agreement with Wilkos to move and that could really become the nightlife hub of the city centre, coupled with the refurbs of the Dog and Trumpet and the Golden Cross it is good to see that finally people are willing to invest in the centre of Coventry. Yet people still moan.........

Oh and if Turtle Bay would like to be one of the new restaurants it would be greatly appreciated.

Otis

There will be a better walk way and almost a plaza up to the cathedral from the other side with the plans that the Uni have to knock down and replace some of the (awful) buildings there which then should create a nice walk through to Cathedral Lanes and then eventually all the way through to the train station.

I know our council have a history of fucking things up but if they even get things half right with the recently released plans then it should be a real shot in the arm for the city centre.

With the plans of the new restaurants you have to think they have come to an agreement with Wilkos to move and that could really become the nightlife hub of the city centre, coupled with the refurbs of the Dog and Trumpet and the Golden Cross it is good to see that finally people are willing to invest in the centre of Coventry. Yet people still moan.........

Oh and if Turtle Bay would like to be one of the new restaurants it would be greatly appreciated.
Think they can second top in the CT poll, so maybe you will get your wish.

I had never heard of them before.

LastGarrison

Think they can second top in the CT poll, so maybe you will get your wish.

I had never heard of them before.
It's no Michelin Star restaurant but something different with Western Indian food..……oh and two for one rum cocktails at happy hour!

clint van damme

I moan because of their history of fucking things up, (filling the City with eyesores or simply not delivering).
If it comes off then great, no one will be happier than me.
To be fair, when they occasionally do get it right, for example the Godiva, I do give them the credit they deserve.

ajsccfc

I like the Pepper Lane bit, reminds me of Regent Court in Leam. I've only been to the restaurants in CL a few times but if the rest of the building is filled similarly it might be actually busy again (last time was when Jet from Gladiators made an appearance)

SkyBlueScottie

Its the half assed thinking that does my head in, its been reported they want to turn it into a so called restaurant quarter, and the changes there have improved Broadgate ( especially during the Summer Months) but around the same time they extended the lease of Wilkinsons in the same building...

Also as previously said, plenty of time for it to be scuppered, Friargate isn't looking so promising now either.

Otis

Its the half assed thinking that does my head in, its been reported they want to turn it into a so called restaurant quarter, and the changes there have improved Broadgate ( especially during the Summer Months) but around the same time they extended the lease of Wilkinsons in the same building...

Also as previously said, plenty of time for it to be scuppered, Friargate isn't looking so promising now either.
Wilko's don't want to move. Crazy though. Their warehouse is really tiny and always so chock a block they can't access all the delivery cages.

Recently was the top grossing store in the whole country, so a move to BHS or suchlike would allow them to expand.

Going to look really odd now if the whole place is restaurants and just one single store.

Could it be that the developers are leaning a bit on Wilko's to move? The Wilko's delivery bay at the back is now going to be a restaurant. It will mean all Wilko's deliveries will have to come at night and trucks drive right up to the main entrance and be offloaded there.

Otis

Wilko's don't want to move. Crazy though. Their warehouse is really tiny and always so chock a block they can't access all the delivery cages.

Recently was the top grossing store in the whole country, so a move to BHS or suchlike would allow them to expand.

Going to look really odd now if the whole place is restaurants and just one single store.

Could it be that the developers are leaning a bit on Wilko's to move? The Wilko's delivery bay at the back is now going to be a restaurant. It will mean all Wilko's deliveries will have to come at night and trucks drive right up to the main entrance and be offloaded there.
tapatalk_1485429672781.jpeg

Where the brown signage is here is for a new proposed restaurant. That is Wilko's delivery bay.

Captain Dart

If only we were Greater Manchester.
Another 0.6billion being pumped in up there from the UK taxpayer.
If only someone could come with a buzzword such as Northern Powerhouse. :mad:
That's 2 words:emoji_grin:, anyway I thought the catchphrase was the "Midlands Engine".

chiefdave

Are these plans totally new or is it part of the ones they came up with around 2011 that should be well underway by now?

scubasteve

wilkos is going, it has a break in the contract that runs out in 3 years in the complex's favour, I also have it on good authority, that they maybe going a lot sooner and in negotiations to leave this year, as even if they stay they are losing the upstairs in the next few months and half of their warehouse space at the back

Otis

wilkos is going, it has a break in the contract that runs out in 3 years in the complex's favour, I also have it on good authority, that they maybe going a lot sooner and in negotiations to leave this year, as even if they stay they are losing the upstairs in the next few months and half of their warehouse space at the back
Half of the cat swinging area you mean?

It's already tiny. Staff all complaining there's stuff in the warehouse they can't get to.

You reckon BHS then? For Wilko?

scubasteve

No from what I have been told wilko's have wanted out of the city centre for a while the store isn't doing well, I think they are hoping to get paid off out of the deal early. All the amendments to the store are all to be paid by wilko aswell if they stay. To be honest it sounds like they are being pushed out now, and we're a nice sitting tenant paying rent while they got the other restaurants/bars up and running. Now they restaurants are performing very well it moves into the next stage to make it simular to the printworks in Manchester a large bar/restaurant complex, I personally think it's great for the city.

Otis

No from what I have been told wilko's have wanted out of the city centre for a while the store isn't doing well, I think they are hoping to get paid off out of the deal early. All the amendments to the store are all to be paid by wilko aswell if they stay. To be honest it sounds like they are being pushed out now, and we're a nice sitting tenant paying rent while they got the other restaurants/bars up and running. Now they restaurants are performing very well it moves into the next stage to make it simular to the printworks in Manchester a large bar/restaurant complex, I personally think it's great for the city.
Don't get that not doing well. They were the best selling store in the whole of the UK only about 2 months ago and they regularly hit their budget.

That doesn't sound at all right.

fernandopartridge

I like the Pepper Lane bit, reminds me of Regent Court in Leam. I've only been to the restaurants in CL a few times but if the rest of the building is filled similarly it might be actually busy again (last time was when Jet from Gladiators made an appearance)

Was this before she hosted a Millenium Barn Dance?

scubasteve

Don't get that not doing well. They were the best selling store in the whole of the UK only about 2 months ago and they regularly hit their budget.

That doesn't sound at all right.

I'm just relaying what I was told by people close to the store, that they are in meetings over the next few weeks and they may leave this year but will definitely be gone in 3 years and the upstairs and some of the warehouse is all going this year.
I was told if they leave they won't open another store in the town centre I could be wrong on this though on this bit.

rondog1973

I'm just relaying what I was told by people close to the store, that they are in meetings over the next few weeks and they may leave this year but will definitely be gone in 3 years and the upstairs and some of the warehouse is all going this year.
I was told if they leave they won't open another store in the town centre I could be wrong on this though on this bit.
Could move to Gallagher or Tollbar end where parking is free.

Otis

Yeah, that's the bit I don't get. I know a fair bit about Wilko. The Coventry store is a bit of a flagship store for them.

I used to work there part time in the evenings and my missus works there now, again just part time.

My missus's best friend also married the son of Mr. Wilkinson, the head honcho.

scubasteve

Yeah, that's the bit I don't get. I know a fair bit about Wilko. The Coventry store is a bit of a flagship store for them.

I used to work there part time in the evenings and my missus works there now, again just part time.

My missus's best friend also married the son of Mr. Wilkinson, the head honcho.

Yeah I think the store is just going to look out of place where it is now with what they want to do with the complex. Would be nice if it moved to say the old bhs store, big area to fill though?

NorthernWisdom

it's our most iconic building, Lady Godiva is an iconic statue and stuck between the two is that eyesore.
Other cathedrals have the lit walkways and they look amazing.
The top of ours peeps out over the top of Wilkinsons.
I agree about the difference attracting the restaurants has made which is why I suggested putting them where Primak is, having Primark in a flagship building ina a prime location is another fuck up. Appreciate we were never going to attract Harrods but is Primark the best we could do?

I agree with you, Cathedral Lanes should go. The original plan of the precinct was fine, a cross where it had an unbroken view to the Cathedral. Landscape in front of it, create an impression, and it showcases what is distinct about Coventry above all else... and that's its cathedrals. A nondescript restaurant quarter can go anywhere... especially if we're overloading with chains.

Create a feature, create the walkway and we're not exactly in poor company of cities who've sought to maximise their architectural gems through the use of space.

tommydazzle

Agree with the open space ideas - other countries do the so well and in Europe I've always admired the big squares of Madrid, Bruges etc. We seem to be scared of spaces in this country and fill them with crap. My local city of Norwich is a fine city but missed an opportunity with its riverside development. I would have loved to have seen wide open spaces with tree lined avenues and a view of the river but instead we got a multi-storey car park and various chain food outlets and weatherspoons an absolute travesty on a par with the emasculation of Broadgate imo.

Users who are viewing this thread