Checkatrade will have Development Teams again! (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Apparently it's been voted for the U21 teams to be in it again next year.

Checkatrade Trophy: Under-21 teams to remain in revised competition

Changes made though to the rules:

Third-tier and fourth-tier clubs are now able to choose any goalkeeper and only four starting outfield players now have to be "qualifying first-team players", while invited sides need to have six under-21 players in their starting line-up.

hill83

I want us knocked out of this at the earliest opportunity next season. Concentrate on the league.
Or win it.

ccfcway

to be fair, at least they have made some amends.

no PL team to play at home, relaxed selection process for FL teams etc

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
so basically the Premier League and EFL want it to continue so the prize money goes up 50% to make it happen. Few L1 & L2 teams are going to turn down extra cash

All about the money as usual........ but it worked for us last season, cant imagine where we would be without it !

Skyblueweeman

Not ideal but the clubs want it and if it does help bring extra coffers to the purse, then surely that's a good thing.

I'm will hill83...the league is total priority this season but we're in the competition so lets see how far we get to retaining it and getting some more cash in the pot.

Nick

Administrator
I'll still go, just so if we get to the final I can still be morally superior.*

*And because I like watching CCFC play. (sometimes)

ccfcway

so basically the Premier League and EFL want it to continue so the prize money goes up 50% to make it happen. All about the money as usual........

this could well be the plan. Languish in the lower leagues for the next 20 seasons, watch the PL keep putting the prize money up by 50% each year and in 2040, boom, we win the trophy again and sisu leave with the £100m prize money in their pockets

Esoterica

These changes are certainly an improvement on last year's format: more money, U21s only playing away, relaxed the 'qualifying players' rule but I doubt this is enough to dissuade anyone who is against the U21 team inclusions.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Surely city fans won't have an issue with it? Bit late for the B Team boycott stuff to come back out again.

hill83

Surely city fans won't have an issue with it? Bit late for the B Team boycott stuff to come back out again.

I have an issue with it. I didn't go to any of the games last year at all, not even league games and I went to the final. And I would do the same again.
Don't give a fuck.

Saying that though, I won't be pretending it was a boycott either.

Nick

Administrator
Saying that though, I won't be pretending it was a boycott either.

There's the difference!

"don't want to watch shite" is a bit different to "I am doing this to stand my ground against the evil people and do what's right for fellow fans (ps, please like and retweet)"

hill83

There's the difference!

"don't want to watch shite" is a bit different to "I am doing this to stand my ground against the evil people and do what's right for fellow fans (ps, please like and retweet)"

Yeah I know.

#pretendboycott2k18boysontourOIOI

letsallsingtogether

Only good thing about this is the fact we found a competition we were good at :)
And as we are now league 2 maybe they will all field weaker sides and we sneak up in stealth mode.;)

SBAndy

Why is it only a requirement for these u21 teams to field 6 u21s? Surely the whole thing should be u21s. Seen Bojan and Peter Crouch played in it last season for Stoke.

ccfc92

Well the format gave us an easier route to the final last year, so same again would be nice.

League more important though, imo.

CJ_covblaze

I'm as pissed off as when they announced it last year. Will have the same stance too. Will only go when the U21/23s are all out or to the final if a L1/2 play one and hope there's 30k+ in one end and hardly anyone at the other.

Ashdown

Not a great move, as many others have said if Swansea under 23's had been at Wembley against Leicester Under 21's or whatever you would have been lucky to scrape a crowd of 10,000.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just think it's embarrassing to be used as practice fodder for the kiddies of the top flight and Championship.

CJ_covblaze

Been doing some digging. This is how the voting has gone. 11 voted to get rid of the U21/23 teams but 1 of those is unknown. The PR states 2 thirds voted in favour of keeping it but it's not known if Sheffield United, Bolton, Hartlepool and Orient all got a vote. Knowing the FL it wouldn't surprise me if they did but Lincoln, Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn didn't!

Voted for U21/23:
Cambridge
Carlisle
Coventry
Doncaster
Luton
Stevenage
Wycombe

Against U21/23:
Bristol Rovers
Chesterfield
Exeter