Match Thread Chesterfield - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Sep (1 Viewer)

Mr Panda

I think its difficult to blame the partnership of McNulty and Beavon, to me they're untested because we provide them with absolutely nothing from our midfield. No balls into their feet, no lay offs.

I really struggle to see what our game plan is, we haven't an identity.

Start Andreu, two clear cut chances created through him when he came on.

Never have Stokes and Vincenti on the same side, you can get away with it if your LB is completely useless on the ball but not if both the left sided players cannot pass.

Nothing in the middle, you have Doyle trying killer balls over the top for McNulty. We haven't recruited wisely in the middle of the park if we're expecting Doyle to be creative.

Get six points in our next two consecutive home games and we'll forget about this, not the end of the world.

Ashdown

Guy on Cwr "the fans booing at the final whistle today were not booing the players, they were booing the owners"

As if. The fans were booing the players and management. Nothing whatsoever to do with sisu
Can you speak for all 1400 ?

Otis

How long should we give them? 10 games?

I get this is League Two. I get it's not going to be pretty. And I'd love to see 1-0 wins and lots of them. But to do that we have to score!

Add to that your main striking threat missing opportunities like McNulty did, you know straight off it's going to be a difficult, long, frustrating season
Thing is, a couple of changes and that could alter everything.

Wasn't there, but talk is of a lack of width and no overlapping and little pace.

Just a simple thing like replacing Stokes with Camwell could change the dynamics. The lad is quick, likes to overlap and has a great cross on him. Just a small change like that could make a hell of a difference.

Also, as has been said. Going from two defensive holding midfielders could also alter the dynamics too.

Sounds like changes are needed, but it is amazing what a change of formation, team selection and tactics can do.

Mucca Mad Boys

According to Tony Cottee, we were by far the better side and McNulty was the best player on the pitch. I get the impression that this thread doesn't agree...

I wouldn't panic just yet - none of the supposed 'front runners' have really got off to a good start either.

I'll take the positive that we kept another clean sheet. But, it's now 3 consecutive league games without a goal - something needs to change.

Nick

Administrator
It's just too early to make sweeping statements. It's only the best squad if it contains ALL the ingredients for success. At the moment I can see serious weak points in goal, midfield and up front ?!

No, I am talking in terms of the list of players.

You could have the best ingredients from the finest sources but if your chef doesn't seem to know what to do with them they will still taste shite.

pusbccfc

I think its difficult to blame the partnership of McNulty and Beavon, to me they're untested because we provide them with absolutely nothing from our midfield. No balls into their feet, no lay offs.

Never have Stokes and Vincenti on the same side, you can get away with it if your LB is completely useless on the ball but not if both the left sided players cannot pass.

Nothing in the middle, you have Doyle trying killer balls over the top for McNulty. We haven't recruited wisely in the middle of the park if we're expecting Doyle to be creative.

Get six points in our next two consecutive home games and we'll forget about this, not the end of the world.

Laughable to think we'll get 6 points.

Hullinho87

You could have the best ingredients from the finest sources but if your chef doesn't seem to know what to do with them they will still taste shite.

I acknowledge that this is hypothetical. But I am interested in your reasoning (not a loaded question here) but let's say we got a new manager now and we (despite/inspite of good performances) we finished, say, 13th ... then what??

SlowerThanPlatt

I know Beavon has some fans on here and I understand his game is to bring others into play rather than be the main man but his goalscoring record for us is shocking and it seems from the comments he's not impacting the game at all so I wonder what Robins sees in him. He's played 26 times for us and scored 4 goals

Nick

Administrator
I acknowledge that this is hypothetical. But I am interested in your reasoning (not a loaded question here) but let's say we got a new manager now and we (despite/inspite of good performances) we finished, say, 13th ... then what??
Then we would need to watch and see what was happening then.

It's quite obvious the system and setup isn't working, especially against teams down to 10 men. The subs he made were just like for like again. No intent, nobody to drive forward 10 yards in midfield or make space.

Nick

Administrator
I know Beavon has some fans on here and I understand his game is to bring others into play rather than be the main man but his goalscoring record for us is shocking and it seems from the comments he's not impacting the game at all so I wonder what Robins sees in him. He's played 26 times for us and scored 4 goals
When he first game he made a difference I thought, but recently has been anonymous.

Today he was only seen when evatt was heading away above him. Whether he would be better in the channels I don't know.

covcity4life

Mcnulty unlucky. Will come good

Not sure what robins gameplan is. 4231 with hoof? Seems so ublike him. 60 miks vs 10 men but at no point 2 strikets upfront. Would have been my.move anyway

Overall take the positives. 2 wins 2 loases 1 draw. We r average rohht noe whilst being pretty solid with our losses coming from gk errors. Once we change oir atyacking build up play we will be ok

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Clive Eakin has just said on CWR , I haven't been talking about cricket much because l'm talking about football ! QUOTE : The BRUMMIES cricket team are playing .
Who gives a f**K , it's a sky blues phone in !

Otis

'Mark McNulty is too good a striker to keep missing. He won't keep missing cos he's a top striker. '

Words along those lines.

Ashdown

A list of players means very little. Besides we are lacking some critical ingredients to continue with your analogy........A confident goal keeper, a creative midfielder and a big lump up front !

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Robins:

Can tell that we've been in a 3 game winless run

Little bit reticent

Passed without too much quality

Nervy encounter

Had good chances

Their keepers made a good save

Most fell to McNulty

Outstanding run for one of his chances but failed to hit far lost

Another was crossed behind him (header)

Need to pick up points at home

Chesterfield stopped shipping goals today but we helped with that!

McNulty too good a striker to keep missing.

Had 1 Goal disallowed

Hard fought game

Not saying it's good performance but will take the point and we will get better

Will work hard from here

Got anxiety of 3 defeats and it was clear

Jones - didn't get man sent off; it was a foul, 2nd yellow and therefore red

Jones had a decent game but still things to work on. Is asking right questions and coming out of shell

Jones was getting annoyed

Need to make pitches as big as we can but we were too laboured

Only 5 games in

If don't win all 5, you're an idiot

Really good / comfortable squad

Quality is there. Normally better than that

As soon as McNulty clicks he'll score more

Davies - aggressive. Need to bolster squad as have injuries

Willis took a whack

Doyle and Stokes became too anxious at the end

Rod Injury - been out for a while but is back on training field. Was expecting him to be out for 12 weeks due to initial diagnosis but since heard better news

Nick

Administrator
A list of players means very little. Besides we are lacking some critical ingredients to continue with your analogy........A confident goal keeper, a creative midfielder and a big lump up front !
We had both a creative midfielder and big striker on the bench.

We had 2 defensive midfielders and 2 small strikers on the pitch. We were expecting Doyle to make defence splitting passes though 6 of their players.

shmmeee

Heard you on the texts Nick!

We haven't scored in however many hours and we're playing two holding mids. Madness.

Is Andreu not match fit or something?

Ashdown

We had both a creative midfielder and big striker on the bench.

We had 2 defensive midfielders and 2 small strikers on the pitch. We were expecting Doyle to make defence splitting passes though 6 of their players.
Doyle.....I'm not sure I was Ha ha :joyful:

Otis

I know it's all gloom and doom on here tonight and I myself didn't go to the game, but McNulty is missing quite a few chances.

Just him getting his shooting boots on could make a world of difference to our fortunes.

MR has faith he will come good. I still trust MR.

clint van damme

they did in the first 2 games and produced little apart from McNultys bit of opportunism against Grimsby.
Them 2 together isn't working out.

Terry Gibson's perm

But he also has to be able to score as no point in bringing others in that don't score either, to carry a player like him you needs goals from elsewhere. To me it was bizarre extending his contract his career record is disgraceful and getting worse here.

chiefdave

If don't win all 5, you're an idiot
It is only 5 games but nobody was demanding no points dropped. Our last 3 results are 2 losses and a draw against 10 men. 0 scored and conceded 3. That has to be a cause for concern.

Over a season that would be 55 points, nowhere near top half let alone promotion. In fact teams have gone down on 50 and 51 points in the not too distant past.

We've got a huge problem scoring goals and if you look at the options we have to change things its hard to see where they're coming from unless Ponticelli comes in and bags 20.

Users who are viewing this thread