Chris Hussey (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I thought he was outstanding today both going forward and defending..

Some of the balls he was whipping in were inch perfect.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

One of the most underrated players in the squad imo always thought he was class since day one!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
One of the most underrated players in the squad imo always thought he was class since day one!

Since he made his debut away V Cardiff and none of the players wanted to pass to him?? (I think this was his debut). This was a memorable game for me as he came on, stuck to the wing like he did today, but didnt get any passes made to him for ages!! Even the Cardiff fans joined in cheering with us when he eventually got a touch!!

His crossing is that of a quality player! Alot better going forward than he is defending IMO (not a ctitisism), but am sure he will come good!

Nick

Administrator
I agree that he is a lot better going forward than he seems to be defending. We were looking for him today and Westwood put a great couple of balls through to him.

He could be our very own Gareth Bale ;)

Nonleagueherewecome

Glad you started a thread for him, Nick. You just pipped me to him! :D

I bloody love Hussey as a footballer. I've been an avid follower of non-league football for around 5 years now. The standard has improved massively over that time, and I strongly believe that youngsters playing every week against big, nasty old players who kmow every trick in the book is much better than being in an academy. Ask Steve Morrison about why he resisted a move back into the league until he knew he was ready. He knew the standard, and the level of competition and hunger in the Conference, was making him a better player than risking sitting on the bench. 2 years latter, he's an international footballer.

I've followed Hussey for a fair few years, and the way he progressed at AFC Wimbledon was inspirational. He first broke in their team as a teenager in the Ryman Premier Division promotion season, having been released by Woking. By the time we signed him he'd played 50+ games a season for 2 years. They won the Blue Square South the season after, and the consensus was that if he'd stayed they could have made it 3 in a row. I kept saying to my mate "We should sign this Chris Hussey guy at Wimbledon!" When we came calling ( "Hussey does a Psycho!", as the Non League Paper reported it ) , their form nose-dived. Hussey WAS the gameplan-their play-maker, from full-back. His passing, crossing and creativity at Wimbledon were visionary, and he took all the setpieces. He was a shoe-in for Conference Player of The Year before we signed him. The previous winner of that...Steve Morrison.

I remember Aidy saying he wanted our full-backs to be our play-makers, and it looked all set fair before his injury at Morecambe (where he was our best player, as he was all preseason). Now, finally, the man who believes in him most-Andy Thorn, Wimbledon Legend-is in charge. He knows EXACTLY what the guys about, and today was the start of something big.

He's an attacking full-back, but I thought he defended well today. I particularly liked the way he covered the CB's on a few occaisions-that showed intelligence and anticipation, something that is not easy to coach. He will only improve at these aspects.

We should probably be having a look at his old AFC Wimbledon teamate Sam Hatton, who has come through at a similar age. Can play CM or anywhere on the right, and can be every bit as good.

Nick

Administrator
He does look to have a very good footballing brain when it came to positioning but his crossing was immense.

Does he take a good free kick too?

Nonleagueherewecome

He set up loads at Wimbledon but didn't score many direct, a couple I think. When we signed him, I did say "the closest thing you'll find to Danny Fox in the lower leagues".

His Wimbledon manager, Terry Brown, thinks he can go all the way and play for England. And Brown is a superb judge-I could reel of a list of players now in the Championship or L1 that he discovered in park football and nurtured. He signed Aaron Maclean for Aldershot from nowher, and laid the foundations for the Aldershot squad that got into the League, having taken from the lower reaches of non-league when they re-formed. .He's a massive Wenger fan, everything he does is modelled on Arsenal-and may be a good shout as our next manager now I think about it!

SkyBlue_Am

Had an excellent game and must of been wanting to prove a point as he has had been targeted harshly by many fans as the reason why we lost to Preston for his naivety of not kicking the ball up the pitch. At 22 he will be still learning his trade but he has real signs of quality and will be interesting if we can get him to a consistent level.....However don't forget about O'Halloran who is still coming back from a lengthy injury, the left back position could have intense competition.

bamalamafizzfazz

Since he made his debut away V Cardiff and none of the players wanted to pass to him?? (I think this was his debut). This was a memorable game for me as he came on, stuck to the wing like he did today, but didnt get any passes made to him for ages!! Even the Cardiff fans joined in cheering with us when he eventually got a touch!!

Ha! I remember him jumping up and down waving his arms in the air :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread