Christmas Market in Europe (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

Looking to book a weekend away with the missus in December to visit one of Europe's finest Xmas Markets.

Any recommendations at all? Heard Germany is the place to be but like to hear some first hand views from fellow SBA fans!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

oldmangroom

Did Vienna 7 years ago, great atmosphere. Berlin was amazing though, lots of smaller markets but great food and drink stalls. I seem to remember a very nice one near Checkpoint Charlie.

fernandopartridge

I've been to Berlin, Munich, Dusseldorf and Cologne around Christmas, all great but Cologne has really grand Christmas markets though Dusseldorf was my favourite city of the 3. Oldmangroom is right about the market near Checkpoint Charlie, I think it's the only one in Berlin that isn't free mind.

I would recommend Krakow too though I haven't been at Christmas.

Joy Division

Ive spent christmas in Berlin a few years ago and their christmas markets were so good, the one by Alexanderplatz especially. Me and the missus got absolutely smashed on their mulled wine one night, brilliant company those Germans.

Joy Division

though Dusseldorf was my favourite city of the 3. .

Not been at Christmas but how great is the Altstadt in Dusseldorf! Not one of the first German cities people think of going to but that area of the town is rocking at night, great place.

fernandopartridge

Not been a t Christmas but how great is the Altstadt in Dusseldorf! Not one of the first German cities people think of going to but that area of the town is rocking at night, great place.

Yeah, it's brilliant. I love the atmosphere over there, no pretentiousness at all. Also in the middle of it there is Schweine Janes:

images

Joy Division

Yeah, it's brilliant. I love the atmosphere over there, no pretentiousness at all. Also in the middle of it there is Schweine Janes:

images

Yes! i'd forgotten about that place. Love the fact that there are no British to show us up out there, place was full of German stag do's and not one spot of trouble.

oldmangroom

Oldmangroom is right about the market near Checkpoint Charlie, I think it's the only one in Berlin that isn't free mind.

You're right, think it was free before 3pm and €5 afterwards. Worth every cent.
I'm off to Hamburg again soon, will report back on their festivities.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Just came back from Hamburg yesterday. My third visit, got loads of mates there so go a lot.

The place is absolutely mental, one of the best cities for nightlife in the world, definitely.

I still don't think I've completely sobered up yet...

And yes, the Christmas markets are good!

martcov

My mates have Irish Bars there just round the corner. Paddys Bar is the nearest. Small and friendly. Schauenburgerstr 40, and there is the Irish Pub ( Fleetenkieker - they had to keep the old name ). This is downstairs in a cellar from the "Altes Rathaus" which is a historic building in "Börsenbrücke" a couple of minutes from the Weihnachtsmarkt. Places to go after it closes. After that, if you're up for it, off to the Reeps ( Reeperbahn) for clubs, bars and 'other' entertainment

clint van damme

are German markets different in Germany?

I went to one in Amsterdam and it was exactly the same as the one in Birmingham.

skybluesam66

in order
1. Dusseldorf
2 Cologne (those are the only 2 ive been 2 that I would go back to for the markets) you can drive between Cologne and Dusseldorf - not far, so can cover both in 1
3 Berlin
4 Bruges
5 Lille (rubbish)

And yes they are different, just because of Continental different attitude to drink, so a much more family atmosphere -

fernandopartridge

in order
1. Dusseldorf
2 Cologne (those are the only 2 ive been 2 that I would go back to for the markets) you can drive between Cologne and Dusseldorf - not far, so can cover both in 1
3 Berlin
4 Bruges
5 Lille (rubbish)

And yes they are different, just because of Continental different attitude to drink, so a much more family atmosphere -

I got the train from Dusseldorf to Cologne if you fancy a drink (hard not to in Germany).

olderskyblue

in order
1. Dusseldorf
3 Berlin
4 Bruges
5 Lille (rubbish)

I see you have Bruges just above Lille, which you say is rubbish. Is Bruges just a little bit better than rubbish, or pretty good in its own right?

skybluesam66

I see you have Bruges just above Lille, which you say is rubbish. Is Bruges just a little bit better than rubbish, or pretty good in its own right?
the difference is in Germany, each major city has maybe 10 markets, all different, so you can wander between them
Bruges/Lille just have a single market, which you can do in a very short time
so unless you are there for some other reason , I would do the german ones

skyblue1991

Decided to go with Hamburg.

Flights were only £115 return. Look forward to it!

martcov

Decided to go with Hamburg.

Flights were only £115 return. Look forward to it!

If you visit Paddy's Bar near the town hall, ask Eamonn, the gaffer ( nice guy ), if he knows a Coventry fan called Martin...... ( actually there are 2 of us called Martin and Coventry fans that he knows ). Give him my regards... His pub is Schauenburgerstr 40 in Hamburg and my pub is Schauenburgerstr 39 in Kiel.

Users who are viewing this thread