City are a selling club... (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

Why all the fuss about us selling players ? CCFC hace been doing this ever since I started supportin them 60 years ago -- selling Reg Matthews to Chelsea, Eddie Brown to Blues, Gordon Nutt to Arsenal -- all our to star players. The way football is now clubs outside the Premiership have to balance their finances by selling players, particularly with FFP coming into play. Investing money in the Academy makes good sense to me.. some players can be developed and sold for huge ammounts in order to finance the club. Coventry City CANNOT any longer run at a loss... FACT.

Grendel

The difference is we now have with some justification highly unpopular owners. Every sale will be met with derision and every signing inferior to the outgoing ones. Such is the mood of the people.

wingy

Why all the fuss about us selling players ? CCFC hace been doing this ever since I started supportin them 60 years ago -- selling Reg Matthews to Chelsea, Eddie Brown to Blues, Gordon Nutt to Arsenal -- all our to star players. The way football is now clubs outside the Premiership have to balance their finances by selling players, particularly with FFP coming into play. Investing money in the Academy makes good sense to me.. some players can be developed and sold for huge ammounts in order to finance the club. Coventry City CANNOT any longer run at a loss... FACT.

The last time we saw player exits on this scale is unprecedented since the early eighties ,Season on season inclusive of sales to date 17, signed players over same period 6 ,youth added 9,more to go this week ,unsustainable.

kg82

Think grendel's hit the mark. It's not always so much the selling of the player. Every Coventry fan knowswe sell, nothing new there. The problem is the lack of replacement or if there is a replacement, the apparent inferiority of that replacement. We need ambition to do well, I just hope they understand that this season.

Voice_of_Reason

The difference is we now have with some justification highly unpopular owners. Every sale will be met with derision and every signing inferior to the outgoing ones. Such is the mood of the people.

I agree , SISU are their own worst enemies.. lack of transparency, poor public relations have alienated the fans. Fact is SISU (I hate 'em) have to ensure CCFC is run at a profit.

wingy

I agree , SISU are their own worst enemies.. lack of transparency, poor public relations have alienated the fans. Fact is SISU (I hate 'em) have to ensure CCFC is run at a profit.
Its the lies ,always the lies ,The charade that Keogh is not for sale, bigi was'nt for sale, Fisher ,Cranie could stay ,not by his exit interview.You could say that its commercially sensitive to reveal the facts as it may drive down prices ,but everyone in football knows we're a basket case,so it just riles usand shows the managers involvement in it all too!!!

Hadenough

A few more FACTS

The 'fuss' about selling players is because we have sold so many without replacing them that we now find ourselves in Div1 ,so now we sell every single player young or old we can get a fee of anysize for ....not 'huge amounts'...and are replacing them with has-beens and misfits so chances are we will end up in Div2.....THATS WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT:slap:
Sisu have destroyed my club and the sale of Bigi proves they are now selling the future of my club because (imo)they don't give a damn and the timing of all these sales and the sound-bites that come out from the players and staff in the local press proves this.

eg .. Andy Thorn tells us after signing Stephen Elliot that the guy had offers from Premier league and championship clubs but choose us!!! really does anyone on this site really believe that? :thinking about:

Disorganised1

Selling Bigi is actually good business, under the new rules he could have gone for a much lower sum (£64,000) I think, so getting a million and a sell on is what we have to do. I'm glad we've held on to Connor Thomas, Jordan Willis, and Cyrus Christie, who could also have gone for peanuts.

sky blue john

Its the lies ,always the lies ,The charade that Keogh is not for sale, bigi was'nt for sale, Fisher ,Cranie could stay ,not by his exit interview.You could say that its commercially sensitive to reveal the facts as it may drive down prices ,but everyone in football knows we're a basket case,so it just riles usand shows the managers involvement in it all too!!!

Thorn is just an employee hardly the mastermind behind the Sisu empire. He does what he is told to do to keep his job. Obviously he could quit, maybe he will, but i wouldn't quit a job before i had something better lined up.

sky blue john

Selling Bigi is actually good business, under the new rules he could have gone for a much lower sum (£64,000) I think, so getting a million and a sell on is what we have to do. I'm glad we've held on to Connor Thomas, Jordan Willis, and Cyrus Christie, who could also have gone for peanuts.

Are you for real ?
Good business selling Bigi for peanuts !!!
We are not going to get promoted or progress selling our future !!!!

torchomatic

Well, unless you were in on the negotiations then you don't know how much we got for him. So how do you know it was peanuts?

Are you for real ?

Diehard Si

Every club at this level is a selling club. Deal with it.
Its true, infact you've generally got to go to the top 4 in the Prem to find clubs who don't sell.

IMO we should be buying and selling a lot more considering our finances and our losses. If we could bring in 4 quality youngsters on the cheap, play them a year or 2 and sell them on for £3m to £4m it would help cover our losses!

The worry this time is the lack of players coming back in. 3 in to cover 9 out of a squad that vrs Southampton had to play a lad national TV said "has been recalled from work experience" is embarrassing,

wingy

Is it sustainable in the longterm ,Crewe have been doing it for Eons ,But are they financially more secure than us and reap higher fees Because they can hold out for decent fees,We are seen as desperate ,thus unable to get maximum income.

Last edited:

wingy

How is one million pound peanuts? Connor Thomas is by far a better player.

I agree i think at this stage of career on the pitch you could see it ,may change with time ,but how much would they get for him if he had to go also.

coundonskyblue

I think it depends on your definition of a 'selling club'.

I agree that if a bigger club comes in for our players then 9 times out of 10 the player will go. However there are several things that annoy people:

1. The fact the club never even attempts to hold onto its players.
2. The club always gets shafted on the deal (poor price, no sell on clause etc)
3. The fact that replacements are not coming in.
4. Money being spent on running costs. Any club/business that constantly sells its assets to fund running costs will never be successful. All money from transfers should be reinvested in the team.

CovLis86

It's the fact the threadbare thin squad has lost even more, and there's still more chance of exits than there is anyone coming in.
I do not buy SISUs suggestions that promoting kids from the academy is "bringing" people in. Alex ferguson doesn't claim he's made a new signing when they promote their half a dozen or so every year from the youth team.

Disorganised1

Are you for real ?
We are not going to get promoted or progress selling our future !!!!

Under the new rules Newcastle could have got him for peanuts, fortunately he was good enough that we had other clubs interested. Nowadays the danger for our club lies in us losing players the way we lost Sturridge, only now there will be no compensation, just a set fee.

Hadenough

this guy gets it but there's a lot on here that sadly don't!!

I think it depends on your definition of a 'selling club'.

I agree that if a bigger club comes in for our players then 9 times out of 10 the player will go. However there are several things that annoy people:

1. The fact the club never even attempts to hold onto its players.
2. The club always gets shafted on the deal (poor price, no sell on clause etc)
3. The fact that replacements are not coming in.
4. Money being spent on running costs. Any club/business that constantly sells its assets to fund running costs will never be successful. All money from transfers should be reinvested in the team.

when you have hardly anything left it's time to stop being a 'Selling Club'

and lets remember our defination of success gives dropping and now it would be to avoid relegation to Div2......
anyone confident that won't happen?

kg82

when you have hardly anything left it's time to stop being a 'Selling Club'

and lets remember our defination of success gives dropping and now it would be to avoid relegation to Div2......
anyone confident that won't happen?

I am. We won't get relegated this season.

Astute

I am very confident it won't happen. Try looking at our opponents and tell us all the 22 teams better than us

coundonskyblue

I am fairly confident of avoiding relegation, however I do remember people stating as fact that we wouldn't go down last season so I think it would do us all to be wary of what can happen.

skyblue025

Where do you come up with the figure of £64,000 from? I am pretty sure the Category 1 Academy's can only "steal" players up to the age of 16.

If you can prove me wrong i will bow to your superior knowledge.

wingy

as said in the other thread these payments are due every time a player completes a batch of ten games for the new club.

Hadenough

exactly

I am fairly confident of avoiding relegation, however I do remember people stating as fact that we wouldn't go down last season so I think it would do us all to be wary of what can happen.

we had a poor team last season and the transfer activity so far suggests we will be weaker this term so where's this confidence coming from?
and I still think there will be more departures:wave:

Disorganised1

Where do you come up with the figure of £64,000 from? I am pretty sure the Category 1 Academy's can only "steal" players up to the age of 16.

If you can prove me wrong i will bow to your superior knowledge.

You're right it's £40,000 - and I think there is a limit on home grown players in the 17 - 19 age range the 'pro' group.

Users who are viewing this thread