City of Culture Bid (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Get help. For the sake of your family if not yourself.

You’re attacking a frail old man in his retirement for no other reason than someone on a messageboard pointed out an economic truth.

Go have a look in the mirror and spend some time working out where it all went wrong.

fair play. god works in mysterious ways and your reply and nicks(trolling reply) have made me think to myself that it is indeed out of order.

i dont know your dad,i dont wish him any ill will and i apologise.

Nick

Administrator
fair play. god works in mysterious ways and your reply and nicks(trolling reply) have made me think to myself that it is indeed out of order.

i dont know your dad,i dont wish him any ill will and i apologise.

I wasn't trolling in my reply, I was just saying it was a bit pointless.

If I was trolling I'd say his dad will get his payday when your mum gets off the gear and gets back on the streets. I didn't though. ;)*

*Clearly a joke, whereas yours didn't read that way.

Grendel

I’m touched that you think of me as a superhero, sorry if providing facts triggers you. I’ll try and remember that in the future.

Lol like food inflation is 20% you mean? The factless imbecile who likes your post is the icing on the cake.

SkyBlueZack

No one outside of Cov gives a toss on the background.

That don't answer what I asked.

It means that’s where we are today. In 10 years it may be better - or not- but no one judging gives a toss what may happen in 10 years.

Again, not answering my question.

Yes actually they have to be involved otherwise they will hardly be mentioned. I think Lady Godiva has been around for over 900 years and is very well known. She paid in with her good deeds long ago.

Well, the football club has been here a lot longer than the franchise, so if we're basing it on length of time in the City we should have a bigger proportion than them, same with CRFC.

Why do people bend over backwards to justify Wasps being here, the council being complicit with them being here and now why it's right that CCFC are not part of the cities culture bid.

SkyBlueZack

earning it yes, but dragging the City through pointless ( up to now ) JRs probably doesn't count as earning aplace in our culture. Being outside of Coventry doesn't take away my history or culture btw. What cause am I fighting? I am saddened that CCFC isn't up there at the top as "sports" in the bid. We don't have money, but we could have done things to try and improve the relationship with the people ultimately behind the bid. Why didn't the club do that?

You having a laugh? What has the JR got to do with CCFC being here since 1883 and not being mentioned as part of the culture bid? Just keep giving the council free reign to marginalise the football club in the hope Wasps surpass them.

martcov

You having a laugh? What has the JR got to do with CCFC being here since 1883 and not being mentioned as part of the culture bid? Just keep giving the council free reign to marginalise the football club in the hope Wasps surpass them.

Nothing, but it has destroyed the relationship with the council and therefore tainted the history of the club and of the city. It is not even a Coventry owned club anymore and the people pushing the JR have nothing to do with the pre takeover history of the club. If you want to marginalise the club, it’s dead easy, you piss off the council of the city whose name you bear. And if you really want to do a good job, you divide and/ or smash the fan base. And if that is not enough you take the club to another city. And if that doesn’t work you...... er, I can’t think of any better ways to marginalise the club.. Wasps don’t come into the equation. We are responsible for our relationship with the City. Yes, the council are not a great help, but if you want to get on in Coventry, you need them on board.

martcov

That don't answer what I asked.

Again, not answering my question.

Well, the football club has been here a lot longer than the franchise, so if we're basing it on length of time in the City we should have a bigger proportion than them, same with CRFC.

Why do people bend over backwards to justify Wasps being here, the council being complicit with them being here and now why it's right that CCFC are not part of the cities culture bid.

I think it’s because CCFC may have something to do with responsiblity for their own fate. CCFC had the home advantage and to have lost that is a disgrace. To blame it on others doesn’t alter the fact that CCFC are ultimately responsible for years of bad management and PR. I hope they turn it round, but there is not a glimmer of light on the horizon.

SkyBlueZack

Woah, didn't someone say on here that the City is more than the council? Just like the football club is more than JR's and a season in Northampton. I'm sick to death of this can't say anything against the council. Mustn't upset the council. Fuck the council. Fuck Wasps. Fuck SISU. I don't give a shit about any of them. What I do give a shit about is my football club, and they whether you, Wasps or the council like it, are a big part of this cities culture.

SkyBlueZack

I think it’s because CCFC may have something to do with responsiblity for their own fate. CCFC had the home advantage and to have lost that is a disgrace. To blame it on others doesn’t alter the fact that CCFC are ultimately responsible for years of bad management and PR. I hope they turn it round, but there is not a glimmer of light on the horizon.

What on this earth has that got to do with the club being part of this Cities culture. Do you just keep spouting irrelevant shit in the hope people grow tired and give up?

SkyBlueZack

Just to clarify the football club has been here since 1883. 134 years. Not just the time SISU have been here antagonising people. You seem ok with 124 years of history, tradition and culture being wiped out because SISU are pricks. Have a word with yourself.

Oh and while you're defending the council, let's not forget they wanted to close Herbert Art gallery. Massive on culture ain't they?!

Irish Sky Blue

Sorry if mentioned already, I haven't read all of the posts. Port Vale, bottom of League Two at the time, played here a few weeks ago wearing a special kit used to promote Stoke's rival City of Culture bid. Now they do have genuine potteries opposition in Stoke City, bigger club, better history but Vale are involved. I would ask the same question as to why CCFC haven't been included.

SkyBlueZack

Sorry if mentioned already, I haven't read all of the posts. Port Vale, bottom of League Two at the time, played here a few weeks ago wearing a special kit used to promote Stoke's rival City of Culture bid. Now they do have genuine potteries opposition in Stoke City, bigger club, better history but Vale are involved. I would ask the same question as to why CCFC haven't been included.

SISU. Just ask Martcov.

ccfcway

When people say Coventry it's Cathedral, Blitz, Lady Godiva, FA Cup 1987, ring road etc.

Its a good point this.

I asked 5 people at work today (in Manchester) when I say "The City of Coventry" what comes to mind ?

After the inevitable "shit hole" comments, they said....

The specials, Lady Godiva, The Blitz, "sent to Coventry"

no mention at all of CCFC, and 3 of the 5 are big football fans !

Last edited:

martcov

Which again, is irrelevant to why the club is not considered to be part of the bid.

You seem to know a lot. I spoke to a leading councillor recently and he said the relationship between the club and the council is completely broken. Maybe he doesn’t know as much as you..

SkyBlueZack

Why do they have to offer to be part of the culture bid? That isn't how culture works. Comes back to my point of Lady Godiva, did she come back from the dead and say she wanted to be part of it. You talk some shit.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Do they have to be involved in the bid to be part of the cities culture then? If so, better take lady Godiva out as I ain't seen much of her backing it.

no but that isn't what I asked is it. So I will rephrase it so even you can understand. Have CCFC actively taken part in the City of Culture bid that has been put forward and is being assessed by the judges and if they are in what way. Simple question really, I do not know if they have or not. Never queried whether CCFC were part of the City's culture or heritage it is obvious they are.

I take the view that they should be involved in the "Bid", either by the bid trust inviting them to be or by the club or others making sure they are. Sitting on hands waiting on either side doesn't cut it. This is a way to promote the club to a wider audience, to earn a few plus points with key decision makers in the City.

Last edited:

clint van damme

You seem to know a lot. I spoke to a leading councillor recently and he said the relationship between the club and the council is completely broken. Maybe he doesn’t know as much as you..

You should have suggested they both arm themselves to the teeth and meet up in an abandoned warehouse to sort it out.

martcov

Why do they have to offer to be part of the culture bid? That isn't how culture works. Comes back to my point of Lady Godiva, did she come back from the dead and say she wanted to be part of it. You talk some shit.

Not as much as asking about Lady Godiva. That was a specific idea with the shirts. Maybe if they saw it, they could suggest it. Maybe free advertising on the shirts would have got them noticed by the people running the bid. People were asked for suggestions. People made suggestions. It is quite normal. People were asked to get involved several times.

SkyBlueZack

I appear to have a better grasp of culture than you or the leading councillor you speak of have. Culture isn't about the relationship between the club and council. Or the specials and the council. Or Godiva and the council.

In effect, what you and the councillor are saying is, that if you upset the council, you're erased from the cities culture. Childish at best.

martcov

I think the answer to that is nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you think that a good relationship would help when dealing with the council? Would you think that the council would be more likely to be proud of CCFC if they were not being dragged through the courts by their owners? Or do you think that it is purely coincidental that CCFC has no mention? Can I sell you my second hand car?

SkyBlueZack

no but that isn't what I asked is it. So I will rephrase it so even you can understand. Have CCFC actively taken part in the City of Culture bid that has been put forward and is being assessed by the judges and if they are in what way. Simple question really, I do not know if they have or not. Never queried whether CCFC were part of the City's culture or heritage it is obvious they are.

I take the view that they should be involved in the "Bid", either by the bid trust inviting them to be or by the club or others making sure they are. Sitting on hands waiting on either side doesn't cut it. This is a way to promote the club to a wider audience.

Patronising. Nice.

Why instead of querying what have CCFC have done, why not query why the council seem intent on erasing us out of the city and it's history? The council should be shouting about everything that is of cultural importance, not just who is nice to them etc.

martcov

I appear to have a better grasp of culture than you or the leading councillor you speak of have. Culture isn't about the relationship between the club and council. Or the specials and the council. Or Godiva and the council.

In effect, what you and the councillor are saying is, that if you upset the council, you're erased from the cities culture. Childish at best.

Getting in the limelight in a bid which heavily involves the council means being on speaking terms. Both sides are human beings. Think what you want, but a good relationship helps. No one is erased, but for the time being they are not speaking to each other. It is mutual- as far as I know, although there was some contact about junior football which took place at the council house that I know about. Totally non political though.

SkyBlueZack

For those that are struggling. This is the definition of culture. Patronising, I know, but if it works for OSB, why not a simpleton like me?

The way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time:

Do we not think that CCFC has been a way of life for thousands of people over it's 134 year history? Do we not believe that that is of greater importance than a feud with the current owners of the football club?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
but the answer to my question is ......................

SkyBlueZack

Getting in the limelight in a bid which heavily involves the council means being on speaking terms. Both sides are human beings. Think what you want, but a good relationship helps. No one is erased, but for the time being they are not speaking to each other. It is mutual- as far as I know, although there was some contact about junior football which took place at the council house that I know about. Totally non political though.

The council are putting their issues with SISU before the club and the culture bid. Then again, we know that, as they sold the Ricoh to Wasps. Which simultaneously put the future of both CCFC and CRFC in jeopardy. Thing is, the current council haven't been here as long as the club has. Yet they are dictating what is part of our cities culture on a feud with SISU. It's utter bullshit. It's bewildering CCFC fans give them free ride on it.

martcov

For those that are struggling. This is the definition of culture. Patronising, I know, but if it works for OSB, why not a simpleton like me?

The way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time:

Do we not think that CCFC has been a way of life for thousands of people over it's 134 year history? Do we not believe that that is of greater importance than a feud with the current owners of the football club?

I think that although you are right.... it don’t work like that. There is a court case for potentially millions still in the air and that puts paid to any dictionary definition.

SkyBlueZack

but the answer to my question is ......................

I've answered it countless times over the thread, but just for you. Culture isn't actively taking part in a culture bid. So it's fucking irrelevant if CCFC have actively taken part or not. As I've said Lady Godiva hasn't actively taken part in the bid but she's included.

SkyBlueZack

I think that although you are right.... it don’t work like that. There is a court case for potentially millions still in the air and that puts paid to any dictionary definition.

Does that not raise the question of, do the council actually give a shit about culture? As mentioned before they wanted to close Herbert art gallery.

Is it very cultural to discard a part of your cities culture because of personal feelings?

martcov

Does that not raise the question of, do the council actually give a shit about culture? As mentioned before they wanted to close Herbert art gallery.

Is it very cultural to discard a part of your cities culture because of personal feelings?

I think they do, but they are not talking to CCFC. It is very prudent not to get involved with people who taking you to court possibly for millions if the JR leads to claims for compensation as a result. There are questions to raised about both sides, but the reality is the relationship is broken. Did they close the Herbert? No. Let’s hope the bid succeeds as the city needs a boost amongst other things to its cultural side - as you point out. I did communicate with CCFC as I felt Wasps would end up with a bigger role in the bid. That was a year ago. I wanted them to do something international which would involve the city. I had sponsors lined up. I thought it may get attention in a positive way. It fell through partly because of having 4 managers in a year and partly because of Venus not communicating with his boss.

Users who are viewing this thread