"Close to having the funds to buy part of Ricoh Arena" (More SISU bullshit) (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

THE LAST remaining gas holder at Fosehill gasworks looms on the horizon clearly visible for miles around.

It is a constant reminder to all those who promised sky blues fans they would be watching their team in a new 40,000 seater stadium this year.

Four years on from the unveiling of the project, work has yet to start on cleaning up the contaminated soil surrounding the holder on the derelict site.

Bryan Richardson was moved aside from heading the club's company for pushing forward the arena plans and then ousted as chairman of the club last month.

Now fans are wondering how new club chairman Mike McGinnity, the new board, including MP Geoffrey Robinson and Arena 2001's chief executive, Paul Fletcher, can deliver the goods.

This is the state of play so far......

Who is now involved?

COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL, Arena 2001 and the regional development agency, Advantage West Midlands

They may involve other, private partners, but refuse to divulge who.

Contributors will have a stake in the final development, possibly through shares, or a seat on a board.

The city council has pledged pounds 10 million, with the possibility of millions more as a short-term loan. AWM at one stage was thinking of pledging as much as pounds 12 million but recently backed off and is now thought to be considering only pounds 6 million.

Tesco was long ago named as the firm wanting to take the flagship retail store - and make into a giant Tesco Xtra.

The gaswork's site includes two regeneration zones - one eligible for European Unionhttp://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/European+Union grants and the other for UK government grants. These funds will probably depend on the number of jobs and extra "community" use of facilities.

Who owns the land?

BY far the largest share of the land is owned by Dutch-owned HGB Properties. However, there are 30 other owners of small plots of land on the fringes of the site, which includes a small industrial estate.

The original proposal for the area included a 40,000-seater stadium, leisure facilities, district shopping centre with a giant Tesco and a new railway station and carparking.

HBG (the Hollandsche Beton Groep NV) built the Gelredome Stadium for Vitesse Arnhem in Holland.

It also built the 53,000 seater Schalke stadium in Germany which has a retractable pitch too.

The firm in recent years took over British building firm Higgs and Hill and it bought the land from original owners British Gas last http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/British+GasOctober.

Land Registry documents show HBG got involved from the outset when Coventry City Football Club (Holdings Ltd) and Arena 2001 signed an agreement on July 14, 2000 to buy the land from British Gas.

What will it cost?

THE cost of the whole redevelopment scheme was last year estimated by John McGuigan, Coventry City Council's strategic director of development, at pounds 180 million.

But it is the price to be paid for the HBG land, the majority of the site, which is crucial to the scheme going ahead.

They are believed to be asking for about pounds 20 million.

The original agreement between British Gas, the club and the Arena, was that British Gas would sell the land for pounds 2 million plus VAT plus inflation to the club.

The club would sell the land on at the same price to Arena 2001 who would pay British Gas to take down the three gasholders, renew and reroute an underground pipeline and provide a new governor station for controlling the gas supply.

That would put the bill up by about another pounds 2 million. Most of that work has been done.

Arena 2001 would also pay pounds 4.8 million plus VAT to British Gas to replace storage which the company would lose when it handed over the site. That takes the bill to about pounds 10 million. But it is now thought to be higher.

Coventry City Football Club's holding company accounts for last year lists "assets under the course of construction" as being worth pounds 17,691,246 on May 31 last year. These were said (in the accounts) to have been sold during the year, but with the club having an option to buy them back once they pay off a loan of pounds 13,605,753.

Is the land still polluted?

OLD gasworks are notoriously badly polluted.

No-one knows what the cost of cleaning up the Foleshill site will be, but estimates as high as pounds 10million are being bandied about.

The land is likely to qualify for a new 150-per-cent tax rebatehttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/tax+rebate introduced by Chancellor Gordon Brown in his last budget.

Companies who acquire contaminated land in certain areas of the country needing regeneration will qualify for the incentive.

This is where additional Coventry City Council money might come in. Cllr John Mutton (Lab, Binley and Willenhall) is in exploratory talks about the council putting in more than its original pounds 10million pledges in investment.

He is looking at the possibility of the council supplying the extra money as a short-term loan which it can be guaranteed to get back, and has admitted it might go towards paying up-front for the soil clean-up, with the money coming from the government later.

What else will the city council do?

THE city council several years ago set aside pounds 10 million to invest in the arena complex, which at that stage included a 40,000-seater stadium, district shopping centre, railway station, carparking, and leisure facilities.

The then deputy leader Cllr Arthur Waughhttp://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Arthur+Waugh (Lab, Westwood) likened it to the investment Birmingham City Council made in the National Exhibition Centre.

That money is still on the table.

Current council leader Cllr Nick Nolan (Lab, Holbrook) is determined to see a new football stadium as a landmark transforming the skyline and economy of north Coventry.

He said: "Our main priority is to regenerate the north of the city and to make the stadium the centre of that project. There's a lot of work to be done on this yet."

Before any money above pounds 10 million is offered, it would have to be agreed by the Labour group, then the city council's cabinet and ratification committee

What happens after March 20?

IF a deal isn't struck with landowners HBG, they will be free to do what they want - sell the site, develop it themselves, or enter into new negotiations with the city council, Arena 2001 and AWM.

Coventry City's grounds for success

A Sliding roof retractable pitch and 40,000 seats were the most striking features of the Sky Blues' plans for a new pounds 60million stadium when they were announced in January 1998.

Since then, the plans have been scaled down twice. The sliding roof and retractable pitch ideas have fallen by the wayside and the planned capacity now is just 32,000.

ORIGINAL ARENA PLAN (JANUARY 1998) (above right)

CAPACITY: 40,000.

FEATURES: Sliding roof, retractable pitch.

PLANNED USES: Sky Blues matches, soccer internationals, tennis, boxing, pop concerts, conferences.

COST: pounds 60million.

SURROUNDINGS: 220,000 sq ft shopping centre with Asda and one other superstore and 18 other shops; leisure complex with sports shops, bowling, family entertainment, restaurants and bars; new railway station.

JOBS TO BE CREATED: 3,000.

PLANNED DATE OF FIRST CITY MATCH: August 2001.

LATEST ARENA PLAN

CAPACITY: 32,000.

FEATURES: Conventional stadium.

PLANNED USES: Sky Blues matches, conferences, possible concerts.

COST: Unknown.

SURROUNDINGS: 220,000 sq ft shopping centre with a Tesco Xtra store, one other large store and several small shops; leisure complex; new railway station; car parking.

JOBS TO BE CREATED: Unknown.

PLANNED DATE OF FIRST CITY MATCH: August 2004.

HIGHFIELD ROAD (below right)

CAPACITY: 23,000.

FEATURES: Conventional stadium, built 1899, last modified in 1994.

USES: Sky Blues matches, occasional conferences.

VALUE: Sold to developer McLean Homes for pounds 5million in October 2000.

SURROUNDINGS: One of the few remaining big club grounds hemmed in by houses, with limited parking and traffic problems.

The new man at the helm

PAUL FLETCHER, the new chief executive of Arena 2001, knows speculation about when the arena will be built is rife.

But he is unwilling to release any details of the scheme until the last pieces of the jigsaw and the finance are put into place.

He promises to be more forthcoming when a deal is finally delivered - and he hopes it will be within weeks.

He's kept a close eye on Coventry's Arena plans since their first inception and was always sceptical the original plan for a 40,000-seater arena with sliding roof and roll-out pitch.

"There isn't a business case that I have ever seen that works in British football for a sliding roof," he said.

"I must be honest, to say, I could never understand how a stadium with a closing roof and sliding pitch could ever be funded. The whole industry questioned that as I did."

He firmly believes the Sky Blues' new stadium on the Foleshill gasworks is set to be one of the top three best-recognised in the country.

torchomatic

Sorry, just thought background to the stadium was interesting.

Lord_Nampil

I read all that and think that the a mix of the two plans would have been better!! They tried to do it but missed alot of including entertainment, station and all the sporting activities which should be round the site!! The answer though is how does every one progress?? I think all parties singing from the same Hymn sheet would be a start!!!

TheSnoz

No station, despite the much vaunted 'Green plan' - no entertainment complex, an already shabby looking ground, poor toilet facilities, poor transport links generally, wasted space around the ground (approach from car park C from underpass could be set up as artificial turf training pitches for use in the community) still no club museum to show off the history - though the club/arena company always find space for conferences, no real 'community use' as was very much talked about in planning stage. A lot of missed opportunities and bullshit as far as I can see. Charging supporters to come and park - having already bought a ticket, a disgrace in my book. That's apart from all the football issues.

sky_blue_up_north

Snoz that sounds alot like the council, have done the minimum ???
Why would they do anymore, they did not have to do anything in reality. Without them we would have been doomed

torchomatic

It's a shame we moved in the first place really.

wingy

Thanks torchy this is the information i've been hoping to see for ages ,you'll know from my posts that i believe this facility has to come back to the club somehow, the past ineptirude of the club is a massive drag on our ability ,but eventually we've got to let it go ,move on ,and state the best possible caes for our club.IMO the best way to achieve this so as not to threaten ACLs /COUNCILS position ,would be to seperate the ground from the rest of the complex ,leave them to run all the non-football aspects ,still have there income ,jobs etc,there is information in the select committee report on govenance ,para 33 ,relating to fan ownership,it relates to communal value where a ground has been sold ,that fans or local community should get the right ,be assisted with buying it back,probably counts us out as its already run through the council ,but live in hope.:D

Skybluetracy

Dulieu is Chairman of one other Company. Capcon Hldgs. Share price gone from 75p to 3.25p. 95% down. What is he doing running our club? Southampton into admin only months after he left - he resigned the day after a deal with - wait for it - SISU and Ony Igw! fell through

CCFC123

why did we ever move from Highfield road....why? It was a massive contributing factor to the existance of the club.

If I was trillionare or a Bill Gates i'd rebuild Highfield Road and start all over again. I hate the Ricoh. It's not ours, it's not our home. It's a cold, barron, empty souless stadium with no charactor.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think a lot of things have changed since that article

Nonleagueherewecome

I think he meant the Torchomatic one. Although he did make it clear that was "background history".

les_miserables

Has tango Ken got wind of the forthcoming demo at SISU headquarters ? obviously touchy about demos and this one could well attract publicity. Since the last small one an MP has put his oar in and articles have appeared in the press, the Guardian and the Daily Mail, they (SISU) don't like it. I hope 200 turn up. There is a pub next door.

Godiva

Has tango Ken got wind of the forthcoming demo at SISU headquarters ? obviously touchy about demos and this one could well attract publicity. Since the last small one an MP has put his oar in and articles have appeared in the press, the Guardian and the Daily Mail, they (SISU) don't like it. I hope 200 turn up. There is a pub next door.

Excellent service announcement!
Nobody would turn up if there was no pub next door????

James Smith

No station, despite the much vaunted 'Green plan' - no entertainment complex, an already shabby looking ground, poor toilet facilities, poor transport links generally, wasted space around the ground (approach from car park C from underpass could be set up as artificial turf training pitches for use in the community) still no club museum to show off the history - though the club/arena company always find space for conferences, no real 'community use' as was very much talked about in planning stage. A lot of missed opportunities and bullshit as far as I can see. Charging supporters to come and park - having already bought a ticket, a disgrace in my book. That's apart from all the football issues.

The station issue is down to the Strategic Rail Authority and the Department for Transport saying no. I understood that we got planning permission for the stadium based on having the station there to reduce the need for fans to drive. The money had been allocated and budgeted for only for the powers that be to say No! It's a bit harsh to blame the council for that, when they did (as I understand it) everything they could to get that station built.

The museum issue will doubtless be down to space as they need to make this a permanent exhibit and therefore it's no good moving it everytime the arena (not the club) need the space to do a commercial exhibition. I'd love to see a museum but where you could put it permanently in the Ricoh is a bit difficult to answer. I think the health club has closed and I don't know what they are using that space for so that might be a possibility. Although again there is the issue of what the opportunity cost of using that space for a museum is against some other potential revenue use, I don't know.

James Smith

why did we ever move from Highfield road....why? It was a massive contributing factor to the existance of the club.

If I was trillionare or a Bill Gates i'd rebuild Highfield Road and start all over again. I hate the Ricoh. It's not ours, it's not our home. It's a cold, barron, empty souless stadium with no charactor.

I see the benefit of the regeneration of the gasworks into something that has created jobs in a depressed area of the city and I've never been in that Tesco when it isn't packed. Yes I liked Highfield Road and all the history that we had there etc. but at the end of the day it was hemmed in on nearly all sides and a nightmare to get there anyway other than on foot. This was tragically illustrated when that bloke who was directing an away team coach got crushed by it.

If I had money to waste, I'd invest in the team training facilities and the academy, I wouldn't I think invest in buying players because they seem to come and go and aren't always a good investment.

Last edited:

georgehudson

close to having the funds to buy part of ricoh etc

if i were a billionaire,
the ex-peugeot - humber road, site would make an excellent site & very close to 'highfield road'

PUSB

LastGarrison

I see the benefit of the regeneration of the gasworks into something that has created jobs in a depressed area of the city and I've never been in that Tesco when it isn't packed. Yes I liked Highfield Road and all the history that we had there etc. but at the end of the day it was hemmed in on nearly all sides and a nightmare to get there anyway other than on foot. This was tragically illustrated when that bloke who was directing an away team coach got crushed by it.

If I had money to waste, I'd invest in the team training facilities and the academy, I wouldn't I think invest in buying players because they seem to come and go and aren't always a good investment.

If you had money to waste you wouldn't invest in players? You'd inevest in training and youth? Just to double check?

Interesting. And absolute bollocks. But interesting all the same.

To me if I had money to waste, I would strengthen our squad with some experienced players to ensure we stayed in the division. Then whilst I was doing that I would make sure we negotiated an acceptable price to buy the Ricoh, pay off any money we owed on Ryton and then concentrate on building up our squad to make sure we could challenge for the Championship whilst trading within our means.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Smith

No I wouldn't invest in buying players from other clubs unless I had 'serious' as opposed to 'silly' money to waste. If I had say 'silly' money say £10m that I couldn't think what to do with, I'd do what I posted earlier, as that money wouldn't buy many players and pay their wages which is a major problem. If I had 'serious' money say £100m I'd probably buy a player or two but also do what I posted before because I would then have the money to pay those players wages.

I worked this out on the basis that a really good player (maybe a striker) might cost say £1m with £10k a week wages so on that basis you can afford 5 players for two years for £10m. They're free to leave after those two years or when you can't afford to pay their extravagant wages and what are you left with?

However get a good youth team and academy going and you can actually have a decent set up for years to come and a stable base for future team members.

I'd also hire a decent financial wizard/general manager who can fix the clubs finances.

Might not be popular but that's what I'd do.

LastGarrison

It's all semamtics. What do you class as serious as opposed to stupid?

And do you think your blue print hasn't ever been looked at or considered by anyone at CCFC before?

How much of your serious money do you think it would take for this investment to prosper? How would Cov be supported (funded) in the meantime?

James Smith

If I had any money to lose, it would be considered lost - as I don't believe in investing in a football club with a hope of getting my money back or a return on it, it would be for the good of the club. Then I would as I said get someone in to stabilise the finances and sort out the business side of things.

I'd be bunging any money in on the basis that I could afford to lose it, silly money for me is around £10m-20m, not enough to really do that much given the current state of the finances. Serious money is heading north of that figure and I'm not suggesting that we don't do something about the current state of the club just that we need to do more to what's going on off the pitch, as well as sorting out what's going on on it.

I've always said I know b*gger all about playing football, and it's probably true although I wouldn't profess to being an expert businessman either. But I do know that it doesn't matter how well you build up the top of something, if the foundations are weak as anything then the whole thing can still collapse.

So I'd suggest stabilising the club whilst getting the foundations ready for a new generation of Coventry born lads who come up from the academy and want to play for the club. That way we're not going to end up buying players for vast sums and paying wage bills that are astronomical for players that can just leave and refuse to sign a new contract. We need to get back to being self sufficient and not having to rely on someone to fund the club.

Might not be everybody's cup of tea but that's what I'd do - however this is all hypothetical as I don't have anything like the figures we're talking about here, nor am I likely to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread