Club vote in favour of the new EFL trophy setup (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueDom26

Club statement following English Football League announcement of Trophy changes…

Coventry City FC can confirm that the club voted in favour of piloting the new EFL Trophy competition set-up for the 2016/17 season.

The one season trial for 2016/17 will include 64 teams made up of EFL League One and League Two clubs, plus an additional 16 Category 1 Premier League Academy/Under-21 sides.

Central to the competition will be the introduction of a new group stage format with 16 regional groups of four teams. The top two teams will progress to the knockout stages of the competition with the final staged at Wembley Stadium in April 2017.

The club’s decision to support the League's proposal (strictly for one season only) was carefully considered and not taken lightly, with three main reasons for the vote in favour.

1. The new format is a pilot project designed to rejuvenate the competition. All clubs agreed on the need for a fresh approach to the competition (which is currently unsponsored) and the vast majority of clubs voted in favour of changing the competition format. Many clubs, Coventry City included, expressed concern over the low attendances at League Trophy matches in recent years and the need to find ways in which to boost interest.

2. The new EFL Trophy format is a one-year pilot project that will be reviewed at next year's annual EFL meeting. The competition format will be under constant consultation with all clubs throughout the one-year trial period. In fact, all EFL clubs are currently providing input into the finer details of the competition format – that is, before the 2016/17 Trophy gets underway.

3. The change to the new format will provide significantly increased revenue from central funding, match-day receipts, and TV and prize money (which will be doubled for next season). The financial potential offered by the new competition format was something the club had to consider seriously and could ill afford to lose out on.

Speaking to the Coventry Telegraph about the proposed changes, Tony Mowbray said: “I haven’t got a problem with it. They are academy teams who will be very well coached and the football is not always about the result, rather the development of their players.

“It’s an interesting experiment, I’d have to say, to have Under-21 sides from the likes of Man United, Chelsea or Liverpool against Coventry City. But we want to win every competition we go into.”

hill83

As I said in the other thread about this

giphy.gif

It's a completely meaningless cup.

skyblue1991

Disappointed by the club's decision. Much rather they didn't vote at all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman

Disappointed by the club's decision. Much rather they didn't vote at all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Kind of agree but if they didn't vote, some would still castigate them.
If revenue is doubled then, that can only be a good thing. I like the idea of the group stages as well, for this trial. Be interesting to see what changes, if any, it has.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The way some of our fans go on about the JPT is a bit bizarre IMHO......

Its a tin-pot 2-bob cup that just simply does not matter.....and keep in mind we are also pretty shit as a cup team.....4 out of 4 round 1 exits last season for example...

Just play the academy side in it (while we've still got one)

Skyblueweeman

The way some of our fans go on about the JPT is a bit bizarre IMHO......

Its a tin-pot 2-bob cup that just simply does not matter.....and keep in mind we are also pretty shit as a cup team.....4 out of 4 round 1 exits last season for example...

Just play the academy side in it (while we've still got one)

Off course it matters. You realise that if you progress, you get more money, right? (point taken about recent records though). We obviously need all the money we can get so why would getting extra revenue into the club be a bad thing.

And say we did get to the final and god forbide, even win it....after all we've been through as a club, that would do wonders for us in terms of profile, spirit, finances, recruitment etc. It might also help some local govt bodies appreciate that a certain city isn't necessarily a 'City of Rugby'...

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Its all about the money, personally I think it has become a pointless worthless cup, but if it gets CCFC extra revenue then that has to be good.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'll reserve judgement on the alleged extra revenue.....

I understand the TOTAL prize fund has been increased.......but the number of teams who will share it has also been increased & the number of games to be played has also increased......that's more matchday & admin costs to shoulder & I just can't see a rise in the attendances just because you can watch us play against Watfords or Middlesboro U21's instead of York City on a Tuesday night......

Play the academy lads & concentrate on the league please Mr. Mowbray.

Terry Gibson's perm

Great so instead of clubs that need the tv revenue getting it, the tv companies will always put on man Utd etc.

More games so more cost to the fans.

woody11462

There will have been conversations between lower league clubs and premier league clubs about this. Maybe we decided to vote this way to keep some premier league clubs sweet for future loans, etc?

better days

Even the best Premier League U21 teams only have perhaps 2 or 3 players per team who will go on to play regularly at Premier League level.
The rest will play FL level or in many cases go out of football altogether when their initial PL or Academy contract isn't renewed
There is a huge gulf between U21 and men's football. The power and desire of senior pros shouldn't be underestimated in games against very young players
League 1 and 2 teams will easily beat the U21 teams even if they field mostly fringe players from the first team squad in my opinion

Covstu

For me it's the first step of putting a league presence into the football league. Lower clubs rely on loan players and premier league clubs need them to go out and get that experience, this will deter some of those moves (not all).

Based on the above, I'm out

Ashdown

The owners just looking for more revenue from a big 'B' side, do they ever look past a chance of a quick pay day. Effectively means the 'trophy' will go to the Premiership big boys. Pointless meaningless crap now !

FRY-CCFC

The owners just looking for more revenue from a big 'B' side, do they ever look past a chance of a quick pay day. Effectively means the 'trophy' will go to the Premiership big boys. Pointless meaningless crap now !
A team of 18-21 year olds will find it difficult to compete physically. They're not going to steam roll us.

Ian1779

So did our owners con all the other clubs that voted yes into doing so to help them make a quick buck.

An alternative way to look at it is that it's a guaranteed 3/4 game block. Yes there may be a bit more revenue but it's also 3 games to blood some youngsters on the cusp of the team, get a loanee or first team player up to match fitness.

Mr T - Sukka!

Its not going to look very good when Chelsea/Man City/Arsenal Under 14's whip our first team.

At least we can call it tin pot and we were not bothered about winning it and Promotion is our real aim.:)

Users who are viewing this thread