Colin Doyle (Goalkeeper) Signs on Loan (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Looks like we have signed him on a months loan to play in goal tonight.

COVENTRY City have today signed Colin Doyle on an emergency month's loan ahead of their Carling Cup trip to Morecambe.

Manager Aidy Boothroyd has secured the services of the Birmingham City goalkeeper to cover for the absence of Keiren Westwood, who is away on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

The 25-year-old is expected to make his debut in the first competitive match to be played at Morecambe's new home, the Globe Arena, in the first round of the Carling Cup tonight.

Academy goalkeeper Michael Quirke is again expected to be on the bench following his promotion to the senior squad in Coventry's 2-0 win over Portsmouth on Saturday.

Doyle, who is 6ft 5in, has represented the Republic of Ireland at every level with his only appearance at senior level being in a 1-1 draw in a friendly against Ecuador in 2007.

The Cork-born stopper joined Birmingham as a 16-year-old Academy scholar and he has had loan spells at Millwall (twice) and Nottingham Forest.

He played a part in helping the Blues win promotion to the Premier League in 2007 when he made 19 Championship starts but he is currently the club's third-choice keeper behind England's Ben Foster and Northern Ireland's Maik Taylor.

Another bloody Irishman!

pb2875

I broke this on the Laurent thread about an hour ago!

He will be a good number 2 and I think we have option to buy at end of loan period

Nick

Administrator
Ahhhh, sorry I haven't checked that yet!

I have never seen him play but at 6'5 he looks a big fella.

Is he any good?

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I think he'll probably end up as Westwoods replacement when (not if) he leaves.On the few occasions i saw him for Brum on tv he looked pretty steady.

SkyBlueMania

It's only an emergency 1 month loan, I wouldn't read in to it too much. It is ridiculous though that due to a series of totally useless friendlies we have to fork out to loan in a new keeper. Does anyone actually care about tonight's internationals in the slightest?!?!

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Wether we like the fact or not,Boothroyd knows that he's got to keep his eyes open for a new number 1 now.Westwood has said he want's a new contract,but thats rubbish,it's easy to say it,he isnt gonna come out and say i dont want to sign is he! could you imagine the reaction.
He knows if he leaves when his contract is up he's gonna get nearly double in wages he'd get if he left now,as a club would have to pay a fee at the present moment.Great keeper and it's a shame but he's a going.

SkyBlueMania

Is it anything to do with Gaelic football playing when young I wonder? in my personal opinion the Irish keepers are consistently the best in the world. I could never understand how teams like Arsenal and Man Utd would sign bag loads of absolutely hopeless keepers from all over the world for huge sums of money when Shay Given was just quietly getting on with newcastle and receiving very little praise for it. He is without a doubt the best goalkeeper around (not counting westwood of course). And you can shove your Gianluigi Buffon up your arse, never understood why people rated him so much.

redsox

Facebook User
I suppose we needed a keeper what with Kieron out and the Morecambe game being an avaning kick off, wouldn't it have been past Master Quirke's bedtime?? :)

part-timer

Don't underestimate the quality 'keeper who has just signed. He was very influential when Birmingham got promoted, with a number of very good performances.

redsox

Facebook User
Don't underestimate the quality 'keeper who has just signed. He was very influential when Birmingham got promoted, with a number of very good performances.

Not so much that I'd underestimate, probably more a case of the devil you know. I think Keiron has done a great job for us and he's not as highly rated as he is for nothing. I hope the noobie is quality as you say, the more quality players we have, in any position , the better. :)

jmortega

What happened to Doyle? Three years ago he was being linked to Arsenal, so he must have some ability, whether he can reproduce the form when Birmingham got promoted in 2006-07 remains to be seen, but he should be a good backup keeper, hopefully he's not replacing Westwood though!

And SkyBlueMania I know what you mean, some keepers of certain nationalities are hyped up to be something they're not while ones from less fashionable countries are overlooked.:rolleyes:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
He did OK, hard to judge from one game really. Wasn't his fault on the goals from what I could tell, but didn't really have much else where he could prove himself.

Anyway Birmingham have recalled him so he's gone as fast as he came... Bit of a strange one!

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I don't get why they loaned him out to recall him the next day?! Just seems daft to me!

Tom

I think it's because Foster pulled out of the England squad and may be out of Birmingham's game on Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread