Coventry ancestors (1 Viewer)

speedie87

So been looking into my family tree recent, which turns into a fairly dull background!

I knew my 4 grandparents were all born in Coventry and lived here whole life.

All 8 great great parents lived in Coventry, and 5 of those 8 were born here.

Anyone else into ancestry stuff and as much Cov?

Otis

So been looking into my family tree recent, which turns into a fairly dull background!

I think my Coventry links only go back about 120 years or so.

Before that all my family were Nottingham (dad's side) and the Cotswolds/Gloucestershire (mum's side).

This is going back to the 1700's.

speedie87

I think my Coventry links only go back about 120 years or so.

Before that all my family were Nottingham (dad's side) and the Cotswolds/Gloucestershire (mum's side).

This is going back to the 1700's.

Oh dear I fear we are related then as mine is almost identical lol, for the non always been Cov lot

JAM See

Both parents from Dublin.
No Coventry ancestry at all.

rob9872

All cov as far back as found, but some old fam Leicester way so hoping they moved out rather than we moved from there 🤞

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Got some in Cov going back to 1700's but also Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Some from London but my WDYTYA story would be my GGrandad and who his father was as his mum worked in service for a well-off family and wasn't dismissed when she got pregnant. He was adopted and she went back to work for the family.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Got some in Cov going back to 1700's but also Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Some from London but my WDYTYA story would be my GGrandad and who his father was as his mum worked in service for a well-off family and wasn't dismissed when she got pregnant. He was adopted and she went back to work for the family.
That used to happen a lot in those days, illegitimate children of the staff being adopted. It’s also the backdrop for the film Gosford Park.

fernandopartridge

I should look into it but I'm from the first generation of my family born here

Terry_dactyl

Both parents from Dublin.
No Coventry ancestry at all.
Same as that. Dad from Pompey, my mum is from Northern Ireland. They now live away.
If it wasn’t for city and a few mates I’d have no reason to go back.

I bought Mrs Dactyl one of those DNA kit things l - my heritage dna? She’s found it really interesting. Turns out she’s 25% Scandinavian/Viking…I guess that explains the beard and all that pillaging she does.

Brighton Sky Blue

On my dad’s side it goes back around 170 years in Coventry, with one ancestor moving down from Yorkshire to be a ‘cordwainer’ (shoemaker). Coming from a family of farm labourers within a decade he is down as having a servant in the household. My great grandad has the interesting story of having had his arm blown off in WW1, then becoming of all things a postman for the next 30 years.

Looking through the censuses over time many ancestors were doing jobs that reflected the industrial trends in the area.

Otis

Same as that. Dad from Pompey, my mum is from Northern Ireland. They now live away.
If it wasn’t for city and a few mates I’d have no reason to go back.

I bought Mrs Dactyl one of those DNA kit things l - my heritage dna? She’s found it really interesting. Turns out she’s 25% Scandinavian/Viking…I guess that explains the beard and all that pillaging she does.
And how she's so good at putting flat packed furniture together so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread