Coventry Biennial Contemporary art (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

At the Old Coventry Telegraph Building
I appreciate Art might not rock everyone's boat but as Coventry people and City fans you should get down to this event. Not only can you walk around a very special building in our History for one last time but they have a section on Coventry City and our plight in recent years.
Just spent a few hours walking around the old building before it becomes a Hotel and the part on CCFC was very touching.
On till 22nd October.

Irish Sky Blue

Is It open at the weekend? Would like to have a look around. I think there is a short film on the move to Northampton too.

RedSalmon

Sounds like something I would like to do.

How does it work.....do you just rock up and get shown around or do you have to book in?

christonabike

Give the caretaker 5 bob and he will let you gander round. “Be back ere in half hour guv or we both will be in the shyte” he told me!:woot:

W

westcountry_skyblue

I'm up for the game on Saturday so will have a look,Cheers for the info.

Nick

Administrator
Me, Tim and Les walked round it like this.

giphy.gif

On a serious note, I've seen some photos and it looks quite interesting.

letsallsingtogether

Me, Tim and Les walked round it like this.

giphy.gif

On a serious note, I've seen some photos and it looks quite interesting.
Thing is Nick that is probebly the most honest thing you have ever said;)

Irish Sky Blue

Just got back from this. I have to say that I didn't realise how big this place was. It is like a factory. I would think that anyone who worked here would be sad to see what was once obviously a vibrant place run down and neglected. During its heyday the CET must have been a fairly big employer to have occupied such a big space.It is also sad what has become of local newspapers. During the late eighties and the nineties I lived in Birmingham and so the only easy access to Sky Blues news was on the radio but this was very limited, particularly as CWR was killed off and so City news was on WM. Working in Chelmsley Wood I wasn't too far from Birmingham airport and also International station.. Being the saddo that I am, I would frequently travel out to one ot the other, park in a pull in outside the concourse (couldn't do that now!) and dash in and buy a copy of the CET to find out what was going on. Many supporters will remember pre internet and radio days when the CET was virtually the only source of news on the City. I know a good few on here will welcome the demise of The Telegraph but for me they were always our football club's paper. Walking around today, seeing the place that reporters like Derek Henderson and Neville Foulger worked, where no doubt Jimmy Hill would have visited, left me feeling sad too.
I enjoyed the film on the Sixfields fiasco but failed to appreciate the art work.

letsallsingtogether

Just got back from this. I have to say that I didn't realise how big this place was. It is like a factory. I would think that anyone who worked here would be sad to see what was once obviously a vibrant place run down and neglected. During its heyday the CET must have been a fairly big employer to have occupied such a big space.It is also sad what has become of local newspapers. During the late eighties and the nineties I lived in Birmingham and so the only easy access to Sky Blues news was on the radio but this was very limited, particularly as CWR was killed off and so City news was on WM. Working in Chelmsley Wood I wasn't too far from Birmingham airport and also International station.. Being the saddo that I am, I would frequently travel out to one ot the other, park in a pull in outside the concourse (couldn't do that now!) and dash in and buy a copy of the CET to find out what was going on. Many supporters will remember pre internet and radio days when the CET was virtually the only source of news on the City. I know a good few on here will welcome the demise of The Telegraph but for me they were always our football club's paper. Walking around today, seeing the place that reporters like Derek Henderson and Neville Foulger worked, where no doubt Jimmy Hill would have visited, left me feeling sad too.
I enjoyed the film on the Sixfields fiasco but failed to appreciate the art work.

Have got to agree went around there myself and was shocked at the size of it.
Used to walk past it every day on the way to work in the late 70's early 80's used to hear the presses banging away never thought about how many would have worked there but it must have been quite a few quite sad to see it in the state it is now.

letsallsingtogether

Saw the factories and offices, boardroom even the top floor apartment.
Some of the machines were still in place there was also art around from contemporary artists.
Then there was the Skybluestalk video and various historical items about our struggles over the last few years.

Otis

Went today and the first thing I said was that it was like the TARDIS!

Favourite piece was all the photos of people at art galleries on their phones. They go to the gallery to see the art, but no-one is viewing the art because they are on their mobiles.

Sums up modern day society.

Otis

Going to be a 50's style hotel, so they are hoping to keep many of the original features.

Otis

Is it on the whole something an 8 year old would be interested in?
If you are thinking of going, Nick, you're too late. Last day today.

I saw one mum with a child, but guessing the girl was about 11.

oscillatewildly

Went today and the first thing I said was that it was like the TARDIS!

Favourite piece was all the photos of people at art galleries on their phones. They go to the gallery to see the art, but no-one is viewing the art because they are on their mobiles.

Sums up modern day society.
Popped in y'day afternoon and TARDIS was the exact description I used when txting my brother. I was amazed by the enormity of the place. The art was a bit hit and miss with me but the actual building and the concept in using it's vacancy to showcase the work was a winner.
Could only stomach 15 minutes or so of the 'hill vid' before I felt my bottom lip going and a rage surfacing. I uttered profanities on a couple of occasions safe in the knowledge I was the only one in the room. Got up to go to the rugby and there were three slightly worried looking people stood by the curtain.

dongonzalos

One of the art exhibitions there that I guess the the city of culture judges saw.......

Attachments

• 3A4071BF-317B-47C8-8168-5614BB3B875F.jpeg
    3A4071BF-317B-47C8-8168-5614BB3B875F.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread