Coventry city centre

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by sylus, Aug 10, 2017.

1. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

where I work in Brum the police have started putting signs up asking not to give money to individuals but if people want to help there is a list of hostels and homeless charities that you can donate to instead.

2. NorthernWisdom

NorthernWisdom Well-Known Member

That's an excellent idea.

Ashdown and Otis like this.
  3. Ranjit Bhurpa

Ranjit Bhurpa Well-Known Member

In this situation, I take on the persona of Mr Blobby and start replying 'blob, blob, blob, ooh Blobby' which usually works. They think I'm a gibbering idiot and move on to someone else.
    Also works well with unwanted phone calls.

duffer and ccfctommy like this.
  4. shmmeee

shmmeee Well-Known Member

I hadn’t really been in Town much the last few years but being at the Uni this last year I’ve been there loads, especially around the car parks and there’s way more homeless people than last time I remember. I remember moving to nottingham for uni in early 2000s and being shocked by how many there were there and it’s like that in Cov now.

Of course rough sleeping has increased 134% since 2010, so that might have something to do with it.

I don’t have a problem generally with throwing a bit of cash their way, but when they position themselves right where you get your money out it feels intimidating.

I went for a beer at Fargo on Saturday and went into the pork batch shop opposite when we left. There was a homeless guy in there getting angry with the owner about wanting some food. The guy had already said he was closing in ten minutes and would happily give him any leftovers. It got to the point where me and my mates had to step in and move the guy on because he was getting threatening to this old fella.

Ridiculous.

Otis likes this.
  5. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Yeah, spotted that. Was supposed to be late 2018, but they are now saying eary 2019.

6. Nick

Nick Administrator

In Nuneaton last week I saw a woman offer a homeless guy outside Greggs as warm sausage roll, he bluntly said "no i've eaten" to her. If he was homeless, surely accept it and say thanks and keep it for later?

7. chiefdave

chiefdave Well-Known Member

Sounds like the chap that's been outside the Skydome after the last couple of Blaze games.

8. Nick

Nick Administrator

It was by the main road rather than by the door next to the roundabout. Completely out of it sprawled out.

9. chiefdave

There was one chap sprawled out on the grass (where you double back to get into the car park after coming off the roundabout) when I came out of the SkyDome last night.

Probably on whatever that new thing is that knocks you out (Spice?).

10. Nick

Nick Administrator

It was probably the same bloke then. It was about 2-3PM he was by the road.

11. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Zizzi now announced for Cathedral Lanes.

Okay, so it's another chain, but it's a chain I really like.

Went to the one in Kenilworth and quite enjoyed it, but then also went to the one in Bournemouth that all of us in our party absolutely loved.

Will definitely visit when it's open.

12. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

From greggs? Doubt it was warm to be fair.

skyblueindorset likes this.
  13. richnrg

richnrg Well-Known Member

he was homeless, not sausageroll-less

vow likes this.
  14. Travs

Travs Active Member

How the hell have they managed to make the road situation around the railway station even worse than before...?

They had a blank canvas to redo it in any manner they liked, and it's a monumental fuck-up...

To get to the ring road you need to turn across the incoming traffic, onto a middle section that can only accommodate 3 or 4 cars, then turn onto that ridiculous crossroads with a lack of road markings. I travel on it every day, so know who has right of way etc, but it must be a nightmare for non regulars, it's not exactly easy to negotiate.

Absolute shambles. Good luck getting anywhere between 5 and 6pm in that area. If you're leaving the railway station, add 10 minutes to your estimated journey time (that is if you can actually reach the station due to the equally farcical situation on the way in)

15. Captain Dart

Captain Dart Well-Known Member

Creative road engineers, fucked up tile hill junction with A45 real bad too.

Travs likes this.
  16. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

just got round to trying the Korean restaurant, Jinseon.
    Had a spot of lunch, it was nice, but I'd like to go back and try something off the dinner menu.

The tables have little barbecues in them, (think they actually have water in that steams the food), and some of the meat comes to the table marinated but not cooked so you can put it on the barbeque when you want.
    Quite a lot of Koreans in there which perhaps suggests the food is fairly authentic.

Sky Blue Dal and Otis like this.
  17. NorthernWisdom

NorthernWisdom Well-Known Member

Back in the day, when I knew a fair few oriental people, the city I lived apparently had two menus at restaurants - the 'British' version, and the 'authentic' one. Having tasted a few of the 'authentic' Chinese dishes... I can see why!

clint van damme likes this.
  18. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Must try it.

And when you say 'a lot of Koreans' it wasn't a group of minders and one chubby fat bloke with a really dodgy haircut thumping the table was it?

martcov and clint van damme like this.
  19. Captain Dart

Those are steam catapults to launch inter continental ballistic missiles. you can have an ace food fight in that establishment.

20. Grendel

And I bet they weren't really authentic. Seeing a few birds heads with eyes and beaks intact swimming in some broth would test anyone's resolve. The most bizarre I saw actually was when a reasonable looking pork dish dumped on the table. It was cut with some strange device that left a load of fat and grissle that was deposited in a bowl. The meat was removed and I was given the bowl. They gave me a spoon to be fair.

21. Captain Dart

Hope I'm not wrong but this initiative by the WM Mayor working with councils to build residential property near to inner ring road junctions looks promising. Just wonder what thepe of property would be built, will it be social housing (needed) or singles pads.
    Plans for thousands of new homes in Coventry - here's where

There is that former CEGB site near the fire station, parts of the old Cov & Warwick and possibly some land near the top of Gulson Road (maybe Elliotts could relocate and sell their site :angelic:).

22. dutchman

dutchman Well-Known Member

Student flats obviously, who else would want to live next to the ring road?

23. Captain Dart

Not so sure, it says the grants are for homes not accommodation.. proof of the pudding as always in the eating.
    Could be linked to May's speech this afternoon May to unveil council house building plan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  24. LastGarrison

LastGarrison Well-Known Member

If they are they won’t be owned by the Uni but what would it matter anyway if no-one else wants to live there?

25. wingy

wingy Well-Known Member

Sorry but I can't Imagine Boris would eat in there. B-)

26. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Well, went to Birmingham last night and have to say it was horrendous the amount of people on the street and beggars etc. Very ominous atmosphere and this was at 5pm.

Lots of homeless people in doorways and on pavements and also a lot of people wandering around going from person to person, seemingly targeting them.

They would be standing around and you would see them start to walk towards someone and then they would spot someone else and divert their path they start to walk towards them instead. We had to keep side stepping people.

Also quite a few gangs on youths hanging about, with the police watching them, stood by their police van.

I found it all quite oppressive and this as I say was early in the evening.

27. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

cov city centre is a dump. i gave money to homeless women(romanian i think)

maybe its a scam maybe it isnt,but if they need to beg then they probably need money more than me anyway

but the type of people walking around town now. wasnt like that in my day,doesnt seem family friendly at all!

28. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

There was an article in the Guardian the other day, apparently some councils (plenty in SW England were mentioned) are paying for one way rail tickets for homeless people to 'move back' to places of their birth etc.

29. Grendel

Yeah that was on Radio 5 the other day - truly bizarre.

30. chiefdave

Especially those who were being given one way tickets to places they'd never been too and had no connection with.

31. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

And in turn, the exact opposite! One woman was offered a ticket back to the city of her previous life, from which she had escaped from due to domestic violence from her partner.

32. LastGarrison

LastGarrison Well-Known Member

Out of interest when was your day? And would you say the people are the ones making it a dump or do you think it has progressively got worse over the last 10, 20 years etc.?

Genuinely interested.

covcity4life likes this.
  33. Sick Boy

Sick Boy Well-Known Member

Most large cities aren't much different to what they were 15 years ago. There has always been people asking for a bit of change, it's nothing new. When I was a teenager I'd get asked but these days I never get asked to give someone some change.

34. Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Gibson's perm Well-Known Member

I was amazed when I last walked around Leamington Spa how many homeless people were there

35. Sky_Blue_Daz

Sky_Blue_Daz Well-Known Member

I was going to the walk in centre the other day and there was a crowd on the corner by the sign place and they had a deliveroo driver drop off their food