Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

This would improve the Upper Precinct:

New plans show city centre WITHOUT hated green escalator

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Looks better. Gets rid of that poxy jewellery shop too.
There are plenty of other units that business could relocate to.
Upper-Precinct-01.jpg

Don't recognise the depiction of the Coventry public, no pensioners, buskers or beggars, no buggys.

Captain Dart

Marty

Looks better. Gets rid of that poxy jewellery shop too.
There are plenty of other units that business could relocate to.
Upper-Precinct-01.jpg

Don't recognise the depiction of the Coventry public, no pensioners, buskers or beggars, no buggys.

Massive improvement, should have done this for the olympics instead of relaying the area outside cathedral lanes for the 2nd time in a short period. Take down Primark and Cathedral Lanes next. Take down most of the burgess too and create a decent city centre green space.

clint van damme

Are people really still saying take down Cathedral Lanes? It's providing the development this city has been crying out for, long may it continue.

The businesses that are in Cathedra lanes could have been accommodated elsewhere, it's an eyesore.
It's all academic because now they have moved in it isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

covcity4life

Out of interest when was your day? And would you say the people are the ones making it a dump or do you think it has progressively got worse over the last 10, 20 years etc.?

Genuinely interested.
i am 35 so my day would be from late eighties going around town on a saturday with family and then mid 90s with friends

and its people...all the people. the country is going downhil, no one has any manners or morals anymore. slappers and chavs. thats britain now,oh and people who dont intergrate

clint van damme

i am 35 so my day would be from late eighties going around town on a saturday with family and then mid 90s with friends

and its people...all the people. the country is going downhil, no one has any manners or morals anymore. slappers and chavs. thats britain now,oh and people who dont intergrate

Your last sentence in no way describes the vast majority of people in my experience.

Nick

Administrator

Maybe you should stop going in the Tudor Rose?

covcity4life

never been

no one i know thinks city centre is nice to walk around anymore

obviously dot com age doesnt help with that, i cant remember last time i went city centre to buy anything rather than off amazon etc

but you see peoplei n joggers and hoodies etc and you think no one makes an effort anymore. im not expecting tuxedos etc but i think people dont grow up into adults anymore

save being childish for online personas!

Nick

Administrator
never been

obviously dot com age doesnt help with that, i cant remember last time i went city centre to buy anything rather than off amazon etc

but you see peoplei n joggers and hoodies etc and you think no one makes an effort anymore. im not expecting tuxedos etc but i think people dont grow up into adults anymore

If you have never been in the Tudor Rose, you aren't in a fit position to come on here and preach about the good old days anyway.

covcity4life

If you have never been in the Tudor Rose, you aren't in a fit position to come on here and preach about the good old days anyway.

i am sorry i didnt go to the pub with my mum dad and sisters when i was a kid instead of woolworths....

i am sorry i didnt go to the pub with my friends at school instead of going lazer quest

i am sorry your an alcoholic chav

one of those i lied....

Nick

Administrator
i am sorry i didnt go to the pub with my mum dad and sisters when i was a kid instead of woolworths....

i am sorry i didnt go to the pub with my friends at school instead of going lazer quest

i am sorry your an alcoholic chav

one of those i lied....

Ironic really, alcoholic chavs can probably spell a bit better.

fernandopartridge

never been

We're all part of the problem, we've abandoned the city centre in favour of using Amazon and the like. You can hardly complain about the 'type of people' you see wandering around.

covcity4life

We're all part of the problem, we've abandoned the city centre in favour of using Amazon and the like. You can hardly complain about the 'type of people' you see wandering around.

im not sure why people seem to be so offended. its just my view from last time i went city centre

i agree no one shops there anymore. i use amazon all time. i also dont swear 247,spit,listen to loud music in public,smoke week,throw litter on floor etc

there is more blame on bad parenting for city centre going downhil

clint van damme

Maybe later...

Coventry's not above a redevelopment tweak of four, after all.

to be honest mate, as much as I hate it, I could only see them knocking it down if the companies that have moved in there aren't successful and I'd rather they thrived as it would be good for the city even if it means I have to carry on walking by with gritted teeth muttering obscenities about it under my breath!

Otis

The plans are up in Cathedral Lanes re the Upper Precinct development. Grab yourself a free sausage or bacon batch and drink and you can have a look round.

Was in there this morning and eavesdropped on a conservation. One guy there was in charge of south part redevelopment and he was talking about the Arcade and Shelton Square going and becoming part of a whole new development. Sounded good.

Captain Dart

The plans are up in Cathedral Lanes re the Upper Precinct development. Grab yourself a free sausage or bacon batch and drink and you can have a look round.

Was in there this morning and eavesdropped on a conservation. One guy there was in charge of south part redevelopment and he was talking about the Arcade and Shelton Square going and becoming part of a whole new development. Sounded good.

Cheers Otis, I reckon I'll sneak a peek over the weekend.

clint van damme

weren't there plans in the telegraph a while ago? If it's the same ones I remember it looked promising.

Otis

Yeah, they just have boards up with the concept and officials there to explain it all and answer any questions.

LastGarrison

I've just turned 38 so not to dissimilar is times of going up there and if you feel it is the people then that is fair enough, that is all down to personal opinion and no-one can change that.

In terms of the city my time of going "up town" was certainly the turn of the century and there were loads of pubs with Yates, Lloyds, Bar Coast etc. but when they all started closing down it really died off and has never, in my opinion, recovered with the local population but I honestly believe this is now changing.

I have been up town more times this year than I have in the last decade combined!! The new restaurants in Cathedral Lanes have massively helped and will continue to help it thrive but also the opening of new bars such as Samoan Joes, Daddy Cools etc. is giving people different options and people are, slowly but surely, venturing out of their local pubs and going into town.

Although it is FAR from perfect there is also a variety of different options there now as well with Twisted Barrel at Fargo, Beer Gonzo in Earlsdon, The Tin at the Canal Basin as well as the aforementioned bars with the option of having a few drinks and cocktails at the Cosy Club and Las Iguanas as well.

You then have a couple of excellent Turkish restaurants opened up, a Persian/Iranian restaurant, a Lebanese restaurant, a Falafel Corner, Bagel Brunch etc. and a couple of decent coffee houses (haven't been to Finney's yet but heard excellent reports) as well as the usual chains.

Something needs to entice the local population back into the city centre to eat and drink and the above are slowly starting to do this and the more people that start going back in and spending their money the more these outlets will begin to open which then has a knock on effect of attracting more.

It isn't going to happen overnight but for me it has come on leaps and bounds just in the last couple of years alone.

LastGarrison

Well said. :)
Not strictly Cov but have you been to the Astley Book Barn Otis?

Missus took me yesterday and have to say absolutely loved the place! Picked up three books as well.

You've probably been but highly recommended if you haven't!

Otis

Missus took me yesterday and have to say absolutely loved the place! Picked up three books as well.

Never heard of it. Will check it out. :)

Nick

Administrator

Love the book farm! Decent milk shake too

Have never bought a book myself but my daughter loves it as a treat to get a few

Last edited:

LastGarrison

Love the book farm! Decent milk shake too

Have never bought a book myself but my daughter loves it as a treat to get a few
That's it Book Farm not Barn but yeah great little place to go and chill out for a few hours.

Carrot cake was fucking huge as well!!!

Users who are viewing this thread