Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

Otis

think it all depends on their background. There are plenty in Cov who don't have to worry about being able to afford to eat at Wagamamas.

Yep. Too busy round the back of McDonald's rummaging through the bins.

Travs

My thoughts on some of the points raised here...

I have a fairly new girlfriend who is not a native of Coventry (nor the UK for that matter), so have been looking at Coventry from the eyes of an outsider to some extent.

Yes there are good points to it. Spon Street. The area around the Cathedral. Plenty of reasonably nice places to eat and drink during the day (but the nightlife scene in the city centre appears to have all but disappeared in the ten years or so since I was a regular. Perhaps that's just my perspective though and I just don't know where the best places are.

But to me, the negatives overwhelm the positives. It's a desperately bland centre in the main. The precinct from the Litten Tree up towards Catherdral Lanes is an utter shambles. All cities have areas like that, but not one of the main thoroughfares in their city centres. There's nothing really setting the centre apart from other cities. There's a heck of a lot of student-geared development which is no attraction to outsiders or for on-students to come into the city. As for beggars... yes they are everywhere, but Coventry appears to have one of the worst problems in relation to its size. The only area I could say has an equally big problem is the Brindley Place in Birmingham. I had the misfortune to walk through Coventry centre on a late Sunday afternoon/evening a couple of weeks ago and the beggars/homeless appeared to outnumber everyone else.

I realise that there are reasons for the decline of the city... the bombing in the war being the main one. But in my opinion the ring road shouldn't be a strangling effect. It should define the city centre and should be a bustling area inside that boundary.

Sorry to say, but comparable cities like Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield, are far better. Why does Leicester seem to fare so well in comparison? Very similar,size, location. Could argue that Coventry is more well located. Railway stations are similarly located. I'd rather take the train into Leicester for a walk round and a bite to eat/drink, even taking into account the additional journey time.

Perhaps it's familiarity breeding contempt...?

Otis

There's no doubt a succession of city councils here have buggered this city up.

The Swanswell should be part of the city centre and so too Whitefriars.

On the Hertford Street thing, they are knocking down Nationwide and having a big open thoroughfare to Broadgate

Captain Dart

The main problem was the plan put in place to rebuild it, I've heard the ring road described as a concrete
Collar 'and it is ' it locks the center in a stranglehold, acts more like a boundary than a means of entry.

Which is why they build that massive bridge to link Friargate to the Bull Yard/Greyfriars Green. No building on it but open and grassed.

Si80

Something from 2011 as evidence that students eat there. Did you even read what you linked too? It's Wagamamas going to 12 uni's and serving noodles to students in an aim to get them to go there. It's not a survey of students eating in their restaurants. It proves fuck all

Walk past the place and tell me if it's full of students. Actually save yourself the exercise, I can tell you now it isn't because neither of the 3 restaurants set up in Cathedral Lanes are aimed at students.

Last edited:

Otis

Cosy Club is for the more discerning diner. ;)
We popped to Manchester twice in recent months and I was quite shocked at the amount of beggars. The difference I noticed was that they seemed to be British people that have fallen on hard times rather than

Something from 2011 as evidence that students eat there. Did you even read what you linked too? It's Wagamamas going to 12 uni's and serving noodles to students in an aim to get them to go there. It's not a survey of students eating in their restaurants. It proves fuck all

Walk past the place and tell me if it's full of students. Actually save yourself the exercise, I can tell you now it isn't because neither of the 3 restaurants set up in Cathedral Lanes are aimed at students.

Grendel

This link is much better, but what it fails to say is what the number is of students eating there before the study was carried out. It could've been an 100% increase of 1 person for all we know.

it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for students. The point about the 2011 article is that it started a strategy and a desire to conquest the market.

Student dining is a competitive game and it's going to attack the market.

It's here because of the student population - it actually states in its marketing mission statement it wants 24 and under diners as its core business.

clint van damme

My thoughts on some of the points raised here...

I have a fairly new girlfriend who is not a native of Coventry (nor the UK for that matter), so have been looking at Coventry from the eyes of an outsider to some extent.

Yes there are good points to it. Spon Street. The area around the Cathedral. Plenty of reasonably nice places to eat and drink during the day (but the nightlife scene in the city centre appears to have all but disappeared in the ten years or so since I was a regular. Perhaps that's just my perspective though and I just don't know where the best places are.

But to me, the negatives overwhelm the positives. It's a desperately bland centre in the main. The precinct from the Litten Tree up towards Catherdral Lanes is an utter shambles. All cities have areas like that, but not one of the main thoroughfares in their city centres. There's nothing really setting the centre apart from other cities. There's a heck of a lot of student-geared development which is no attraction to outsiders or for on-students to come into the city. As for beggars... yes they are everywhere, but Coventry appears to have one of the worst problems in relation to its size. The only area I could say has an equally big problem is the Brindley Place in Birmingham. I had the misfortune to walk through Coventry centre on a late Sunday afternoon/evening a couple of weeks ago and the beggars/homeless appeared to outnumber everyone else.

I realise that there are reasons for the decline of the city... the bombing in the war being the main one. But in my opinion the ring road shouldn't be a strangling effect. It should define the city centre and should be a bustling area inside that boundary.

Sorry to say, but comparable cities like Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield, are far better. Why does Leicester seem to fare so well in comparison? Very similar,size, location. Could argue that Coventry is more well located. Railway stations are similarly located. I'd rather take the train into Leicester for a walk round and a bite to eat/drink, even taking into account the additional journey time.

Perhaps it's familiarity breeding contempt...?

agree with a lot of your points but what you are talking about is the decline of the city centre and not the city, I don't think the two should be confused.
I still think the city is a good place to live and raise your family.

skybluetony176

it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for students. The point about the 2011 article is that it started a strategy and a desire to conquest the market.

Student dining is a competitive game and it's going to attack the market.

It's here because of the student population - it actually states in its marketing mission statement it wants 24 and under diners as its core business.

So I guess what you're really saying is that CCC should be applauded for their assistance in growing the student population of Coventry as it's led to the start of a regeneration of Coventry City centre that otherwise wouldn't have happened. That must hurt. Probably why you're not saying it straight out.

clint van damme

So I guess what you're really saying is that CCC should be applauded for their assistance in growing the student population of Coventry as it's led to the start of a regeneration of Coventry City centre that otherwise wouldn't have happened. That must hurt. Probably why you're not saying it straight out.

to be fair, I'm a massive critic of the council but growing the student population is a boon to the City, can't understand people who moan about it.

skybluetony176

to be fair, I'm a massive critic of the council but growing the student population is a boon to the City, can't understand people who moan about it.

Yeah I don't understand it either. It's at least a nucleus for regeneration. Many towns and cities don't have that luxury including my home town of Rugby. We're destined for a high street of bookies, charity shops, card shops, pound shops and empty shops.

Grendel

It depends what you want I suppose. Yes it's going to gain traction but an over reliance on a transient and seasonal sector has its issues.

In a way it's ok but it's finally acknowledging it cannot attract higher demographic groups so it's always going to be swamped by cheap chain restaurants, fast food places and discount clothes stores.

Thus the housing developments on the periphery will be based here but the consumer will migrate to areas they feel comfortable in

clint van damme

It depends what you want I suppose. Yes it's going to gain traction but an over reliance on a transient and seasonal sector has its issues.

In a way it's ok but it's finally acknowledging it cannot attract higher demographic groups so it's always going to be swamped by cheap chain restaurants, fast food places and discount clothes stores.

Thus the housing developments on the periphery will be based here but the consumer will migrate to areas they feel comfortable in

to mix the demographic up we need more big companies moving in offering decent paid jobs.
JLRs planned development of Whitely will help but we could do with more project of that kind. Then there's the question do those that move here for work spend their cash in Coventry or do they go outside the City because it offers little it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Grendel

to mix the demographic up we need more big companies moving in offering decent paid jobs.
JLRs planned development of Whitely will help but we could do with more project of that kind. Then there's the question do those that move here for work spend their cash in Coventry or do they go outside the City because it offers little it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Will make no difference. JLR management all live in periphery towns such as Warwick Leamington and kenilworth.

Hardly any I know have been into the city centre even once.

Grendel

Also I doubt even this so called student strategy is even unique. I'd be amazed if Nottingham has less city based students - the difference is it attracts all demographics so it goes unnoticed.

Moff

The council refused to drop its rates and I know in a couple of instances have actively encouraged businesses to move out where accommodation has been built.

It's zero to do with funding. Cities such as Nottingham and Leicester are thriving.

Unfortunately G, I spend a lot of time in Leicester and their city centre is seriously on the wane.

As for the beggars debate, it isn't exclusive to Coventry, every major city seem to have them now, have seen them in Nottingham, Northampton and Leicester.

Otis

Unfortunately G, I spend a lot of time in Leicester and their city centre is seriously on the wane.

As for the beggars debate, it isn't exclusive to Coventry, every major city seem to have them now, have seen them in Nottingham, Northampton and Leicester.

Yeah, I got hit with them in Northampton last week.

I see them all over the country.

Moff

I was talking to a Rugby councillor privately a while ago who I know a little through a friend. We were talking about the redevelopment of Elliotts Fields in Rugby and I was asking him why we couldn't attract any of the big names there into the quickly emptying town centre and his reply was basically they're not interested, the only way that they would come is if a development like Elliot's Field happened. Reducing business rates wouldn't have changed a thing. The big names want good transport links and/or loads of parking at the front door. Rugby just like Coventry doesn't have a train station right in it's town centre so I assume the issue is similar. Birmingham has two, a tram network and fairly decent road links straight into the city centre with the A38M. It's pretty easy to see why the Bullring works in attracting all the big names before you even consider the population of being the second largest city in England.

Coventry is lucky to have the university if you ask me. It's the only chance that the city centre has really and naturally that will also bring other redevelopment with it.

Spot on re Rugby Tony.

I heard exactly the same, its out of town centres now for most major stores as its often cheaper rates, free parking and lots of it to attract custom and longer opening hours. People want to visit the out of town centres as its convenient compared to getting into the town

clint van damme

Will make no difference. JLR management all live in periphery towns such as Warwick Leamington and kenilworth.

Hardly any I know have been into the city centre even once.

May be true of management but there are loads of JLR workers moving to Whitely, rents there are going through the roof.
A lot are people from abroad who can't drive so want to be near to the plant.
Mate of mine has had his rent put up £150 in the last year and is looking to move.

Otis

Yep, understand all that about the retail parks,, but if I go to Central Six or Gallagher Retail Park there is hardly anywhere at all to eat. Burger King at Central Six and McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway at Gallagher.

I go into town and I have a choice of 50 places plus.

If I want something specific I will probably go to a retail park, but for just browsing and looking in general it is always the city centre.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, understand all that about the retail parks,, but if I go to Central Six or Gallagher Retail Park there is hardly anywhere at all to eat. Burger King at Central Six and McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway at Gallagher.

I go into town and I have a choice of 50 places plus.

If I want something specific I will probably go to a retail park, but for just browsing and looking in general it is always the city centre.

People will go to places specifically though rather than browsing. I'll need something from Argos or Pets at Home so I'd blast there or maybe Next or Decathlon at the Ricoh.

It's the same with Town, I wouldn't go without knowing what I wanted to go there for and a wonder about for no reason. A lot of people will be like that now, especially when it comes to ordering online and click and collect, they will order it at work to next / argos etc then just go down to pick it up.

Travs

Even the out of town places are poor though. Central Six is full of crap shops (who wants a discount furniture store and a Poundland so close to the city centre), and as for Gallagher, well that is possibly the worst collection of shops in the country...

Otis

People will go to places specifically though rather than browsing. I'll need something from Argos or Pets at Home so I'd blast there or maybe Next or Decathlon at the Ricoh.

It's the same with Town, I wouldn't go without knowing what I wanted to go there for and a wonder about for no reason. A lot of people will be like that now, especially when it comes to ordering online and click and collect, they will order it at work to next / argos etc then just go down to pick it up.
But then you have to remember town is still very much a meeting place for people. I always meet my parents there and I know loads of people who do the same. Meet up for a coffee or bite to eat etc.

Nick

Administrator
Even the out of town places are poor though. Central Six is full of crap shops (who wants a discount furniture store and a Poundland so close to the city centre), and as for Gallagher, well that is possibly the worst collection of shops in the country...

They are usually specific though for people wanting specific things. I don't think many just wake up feeling like a wander round for something to do unless they have way too much time on their hands.

Gallagher is usually much busier now Aldi is there down that side. You dont really see anybody ever go in Costcutter and things over that side.

Otis

But then you have to remember town is still very much a meeting place for people. I always meet my parents there and I know loads of people who do the same. Meet up for a coffee or bite to eat etc.
Adding to that, that all the buses go to town and there are often events on (farmers markets, open air movies, cathedral events and summer games etc) and you have so much more choice. There are also the baths and the museums etc.

hill83

Adding to that, that all the buses go to town and there are often events on (farmers markets, open air movies, cathedral events and summer games etc) and you have so much more choice. There are also the baths and the museums etc.

No. Sorry Otis. Nick doesn't go so nobody does. Including you.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
No. Sorry Otis. Nick doesn't go so nodoby does. Including you.

They shouldn't be without my permission. ;)

I'm not saying nobody does, I was just explaining why most people would use an out of town place as it's easy to get to if you need something. :)

With the internet and click and collect etc, whereas years ago people would finish work at 5 and gun it to town to get something before the shops shut they can just order exactly what it is online for collection and then go to Gallagher or places like that to pick it up when they want.

I can remember when buying a computer game would be going to town and looking at how much it was in GAME or Virgin Megastore manually to see where it was cheapest, it's not the same nowadays.

From a shopping point of view...

Last edited:

Otis

They shouldn't be without my permission. ;)

I'm not saying nobody does, I was just explaining why most people would use an out of town place as it's easy to get to if you need something. :)

With the internet and click and collect etc, whereas years ago people would finish work at 5 and gun it to town to get something before the shops shut they can just order exactly what it is online for collection and then go to Gallagher or places like that to pick it up when they want.

I can remember when buying a computer game would be going to town and looking at how much it was in GAME or Virgin Megastore manually to see where it was cheapest, it's not the same nowadays.

From a shopping point of view...

Yeah, but I got to town just to meet up and usually don't want to buy anything in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread