Match Thread Coventry City - Colchester United Match Thread - Saturday 21st Oct (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City - Colchester United match, tactics and predictions :)

letsallsingtogether

Well I am back from holiday for this one 2-0 City.
After having a roasting from MR they all play to their best ability.

oucho

Is Reid allowed to play for them?

Otis

Really looking forwards to this. It's all been a bit stale lately and this forces Robins' hands into changing things, so I am expecting at least two changes on Saturday.

2-0 City and the endeth of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

johnwillomagic

God knows why but I think we will win on Saturday we have to react! 1-0 Cov!

As for team I think we should switch to a plain 4-4-2 and ideally try to get Kelly to push on and Doyle hold in the centre of the park.

Team
Burge GK
Grimmer RB
Stokes LB
Willis CB
Macdonald CB
Haynes LM
Jones RM
Kelly CM
Doyle CM
Duck ST
Beavon ST

Subs: O'Brien, DKE, Davies, Vincenti, Stevenson, Ponticelli, McNulty

Otis

As for team I think we should switch to a plain 4-4-2 and ideally try to get Kelly to push on and Doyle hold in the centre of the park.

Team
Burge GK
Grimmer RB
Stokes LB
Willis CB
Macdonald CB
Haynes LM
Jones RM
Kelly CM
Doyle CM
Duck ST
Beavon ST

Yep, I think I have in mind the same identical line up.

Paxman II

Well it's become a tough test now. If we change a couple of things and tactically get it right, with some plan B should it prove to be a difficult afternoon.

smileycov

Facebook User
2-0 cov nothing too exciting, midway through 1st half late second. But much needed and set us up to take on top of the league Luton. (Where we win!!)

stupot07

Team
Burge GK
Grimmer RB
Stokes LB
Willis CB
Macdonald CB
Haynes LM
Jones RM
Kelly CM
Doyle CM
Duck ST
Beavon ST

I'd rest Nazon and Jones. We do need to play 2 up top but I would probably go Biamou and Ponti, if you're planning on whipping crosses in the box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

0-0. No lessons learned by Robins and fan fury to reach new heights before we go to Luton and win and everyone is back to thinking we'll win the league.

DannyThomas_1981

It's taken me a couple of days to get over the absolutely hysterical reaction to Tuesday's defeat.

To get some perspective, it was a match that we again dominated. Forest Green Rovers got very lucky on a couple of counts. 1. Our third goal keeping clanger of the season (on this point let's lay off Burge - anyone ridiculing or booing any of our own players just f..k off...we simply don't need you). 2. Our strikers are lacking confidence in front of goal as many have pointed out.

I also understand that FGR created some real problems for the league leaders in the previous game so they're not absolute mugs. Idiots running onto the pitch and reacting hysterically after we had just won the previous 3 home games - again we don't need them. In this league anyone can beat anyone if a couple of things go their way.

I still think we're a highly decent side and we're going to be in the play offs once we tweak a couple of things. With the defence we have we have a great chance in any game with a couple of changes and some confidence going forward. On this point, I also see lots of quality in McNulty - he will come good for us. Just get off his back.

I'd make a couple of changes for this one. Haynes if fit should come in for Stokes - adds an attacking option. I still think our best forward combination will ultimately be Beavon as the deep lying forward with Nazon as the point man. If plan A is not working, I'd bring Ponti on for Nazon around 50 minutes. Ponti looks sharp and right now should be ahead of Biamou in the pecking order. Biamou has shown glimpses of what he can do but is still adjusting to this level. The obvious problems between JJ and Grimmer need to be sorted out - both are key to our season. I'm ok with the Doyle/Kelly axis but as others have pointed out Kelly needs to be given more freedom.

Let's get behind the lads - there's plenty to look forward too this season if we stick together. PUSB.

clint van damme

It's taken me a couple of days to get over the absolutely hysterical reaction to Tuesday's defeat.

To get some perspective, it was a match that we again dominated. Forest Green Rovers got very lucky on a couple of counts. 1. Our third goal keeping clanger of the season (on this point let's lay off Burge - anyone ridiculing or booing any of our own players just f..k off...we simply don't need you). 2. Our strikers are lacking confidence in front of goal as many have pointed out.

I also understand that FGR created some real problems for the league leaders in the previous game so they're not absolute mugs. Idiots running onto the pitch and reacting hysterically after we had just won the previous 3 home games - again we don't need them. In this league anyone can beat anyone if a couple of things go their way.

I still think we're a highly decent side and we're going to be in the play offs once we tweak a couple of things. With the defence we have we have a great chance in any game with a couple of changes and some confidence going forward. On this point, I also see lots of quality in McNulty - he will come good for us. Just get off his back.

I'd make a couple of changes for this one. Haynes if fit should come in for Stokes - adds an attacking option. I still think our best forward combination will ultimately be Beavon as the deep lying forward with Nazon as the point man. If plan A is not working, I'd bring Ponti on for Nazon around 50 minutes. Ponti looks sharp and right now should be ahead of Biamou in the pecking order. Biamou has shown glimpses of what he can do but is still adjusting to this level. The obvious problems between JJ and Grimmer need to be sorted out - both are key to our season. I'm ok with the Doyle/Kelly axis but as others have pointed out Kelly needs to be given more freedom.

Let's get behind the lads - there's plenty to look forward too this season if we stick together. PUSB.

One thing I would say in defence of McNulty who I thought was very poor on Tuesday, in the first half he took up some good positions in the space between their defence and midfield but the ball never came to him.
Our midfield didn't seem to have the confidence to try and pick a pass and opted to go square or out wide. He seemed to stop bothering to try and find the space in the second half.

Nick

Administrator
One thing I would say in defence of McNulty who I thought was very poor on Tuesday, in the first half he took up some good positions in the space between their defence and midfield but the ball never came to him.
Our midfield didn't seem to have the confidence to try and pick a pass and opted to go square or out wide. He seemed to stop bothering to try and find the space in the second half.

He still got into good positions twice in the 2nd half.

He looks to be one of those who will make runs, like Ponticelli did. Those sort of players need to be picked out and have service to do anything.

Esoterica

He still got into good positions twice in the 2nd half.

He looks to be one of those who will make runs, like Ponticelli did. Those sort of players need to be picked out and have service to do anything.
He's a form and confidence player for me. Had a lot of time not playing last season and looked ring rusty at the start of this one, his injury came just at the wrong time for him as I thought he was starting to look sharper and sharper. This time he has come back looking slightly heavy again but how many times is he going to keep finding that yard or two of space when Duck and Jones (Isn't that a clothing brand?!) keep blazing the ball over from 25 yards without even looking up?

better days

Well it's become a tough test now. If we change a couple of things and tactically get it right, with some plan B should it prove to be a difficult afternoon.
I suspect Beavon will come in. He's an intelligent player who makes runs to good positions and passes to our own players. Our forwards are snatching at things at the moment due to lack of confidence

Paxman II

Yes I would agree apart from McNulty? How much time do you give a guy to take a chance created? He has fluffed his lines too easily for me...and this is league 2.

Nick

Administrator
Tbf he should have had a hatrick yesterday.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
giphy.gif

Cov kid 55

An excellent post, agree with everything. Fans are right to be concerned after the past 3 very poor games have yielded 1 point and no goals, but we need to stay behind the team, booing and abusing is crass. Biamou and Nazon isn’t working at the moment, so I would rest both, start with McNulty and Beavon, to hopefully introduce some intelligence and craft at the top end, and if we had Jones RM and Haynes LM, we’d also have pace down both flanks. We need pace and creativity, which we have not had, we can’t keep playing for 1-0’s.

Great_Expectations

I’d bring Beavon in for Biamou (who I do really like) on the basis we don’t try and play hoofball but try and slip through balls through to McNulty and ultimately try and play football.

I wast sure about Kelly at first, but the last few games he’s shown he can actually pass the ball pretty well, so give some more freedom to do so.

Nick

Administrator
I'd be interested in seeing what changes Robins actually makes.

I think it would be pointless to play certain strikers without playing to their strengths.

Biamou needs crosses whipped in, gives us a presence up front and can bring other players into the game (see Duck and Doyle midweek)
McNulty needs service, he is a clever player and does get into space and makes runs. He needs a ball slipped through to run onto.
Duck, he will just want the ball and a sight of goal. When it works it's fantastic and would be if a few more went in. So he needs a player who will lay it off in and around the box for him to just smash it toward the goal.
Beavon, again he is a clever type of player. He will be the one who brings others like McNulty or Ponticelli into the game.
Ponticelli. He is more of a clever player like McNulty who will be making runs. See his runs midweek or the one he made for his goal against Walsall. Again, he will need service and somebody to notice his runs else it's pointless. He is a clinical finisher, but he isn't going to take on 2 players and put it top corner from 40 yards so he needs other clever players to read his runs.

If he doesn't play Biamou, I think he is going to need to play Vincente. If not then every single goal kick or clearance is going to come straight back to us.

tigersb

I agree that the fans should support the team at all times,but unfortunately there is not a ream in the world that doesn't have fans that will give players stick when they're having an off day

letsallsingtogether

I agree that the fans should support the team at all times,but unfortunately there is not a ream in the world that doesn't have fans that will give players stick when they're having an off day
Rubbish only out shit fickle fans do that.

stevefloyd

So you would swap one forward who is adjusting to this level for another forward who as yet hasn't adjusted to this level?

steve82

If Haynes is fit I'd go
---------------Burge----------------
Grimmer--Willis --McDonald--Stokes
---Vincenti--Doyle--Kelly--Haynes---
--------Biamou----McNulty---------

Bench
O'Brien, Davies, Shiperly, JJ, Stevenson, Beavon, Ponticelli.

If Haynes ain't fit I'd go
---------------Burge----------------
Grimmer--Willis --McDonald--Stokes
---Vincenti--Doyle--Kelly--JJ---
---------Beavon----McNulty--------

Bench
O'Brien, Davies, Shiperly, Nazon, Stevenson, Biamou, Ponticelli.

Users who are viewing this thread