Match Thread Coventry City - Colchester United Match Thread - Saturday 21st Oct (1 Viewer)

coop

Hopefully a win I'm in Las Vegas so can't make tomorrow .It can't be any worse than Tuesday.

Last edited:

SkyblueBri

If we don’t get our midfield further up the pitch it doesn’t matter who we play. It’s no good having a great defensive record and losing 1-0 or drawing 1-1. Better to win 4-3

Londonccfcfan

It's taken me a couple of days to get over the absolutely hysterical reaction to Tuesday's defeat.

To get some perspective, it was a match that we again dominated. Forest Green Rovers got very lucky on a couple of counts. 1. Our third goal keeping clanger of the season (on this point let's lay off Burge - anyone ridiculing or booing any of our own players just f..k off...we simply don't need you). 2. Our strikers are lacking confidence in front of goal as many have pointed out.

I also understand that FGR created some real problems for the league leaders in the previous game so they're not absolute mugs. Idiots running onto the pitch and reacting hysterically after we had just won the previous 3 home games - again we don't need them. In this league anyone can beat anyone if a couple of things go their way.

I still think we're a highly decent side and we're going to be in the play offs once we tweak a couple of things. With the defence we have we have a great chance in any game with a couple of changes and some confidence going forward. On this point, I also see lots of quality in McNulty - he will come good for us. Just get off his back.

I'd make a couple of changes for this one. Haynes if fit should come in for Stokes - adds an attacking option. I still think our best forward combination will ultimately be Beavon as the deep lying forward with Nazon as the point man. If plan A is not working, I'd bring Ponti on for Nazon around 50 minutes. Ponti looks sharp and right now should be ahead of Biamou in the pecking order. Biamou has shown glimpses of what he can do but is still adjusting to this level. The obvious problems between JJ and Grimmer need to be sorted out - both are key to our season. I'm ok with the Doyle/Kelly axis but as others have pointed out Kelly needs to be given more freedom.

Let's get behind the lads - there's plenty to look forward too this season if we stick together. PUSB.
EXCELLENT post

Agree entirely.
3-1 win back in the top 7 , 7000 skyblues.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Up for this one,I haven’t seen us lose this season good omens!! PUSB

Gazolba

It will be a very low-scoring game.
If we score first, it's a 1-0 win. If they score first, its a 1-1 draw. If no-one scores first, its 0-0.
Just cannot see us scoring more than a single goal or conceding more than a single goal.

Otis

Or, as it's a windy day, every pot shot we take flies into the net and we win 20-0.

Actually though, there is some sense in that. It will be very windy today. If the wind is at our backs it could very well be the day to take pot shots at the keeper from distance. There will surely be a lot of movement of the ball in the air and we might get some joy.

We just have to make sure that we don't tell Colchester that it's windy too, though so they don't do the exact same thing, but then if they do, we have Lee Burge in-between the sticks and of course it won't be a problem for us.

dazed&confused

Could go either way. Saturday afternoon. League Two. Uninspiring opposition without even Kyel Ried to liven things up. Not too many away fans. A very windy day. No special ticket offers. Still £24-26 pay on the gate. The FGR loss and the Accrington and Barnet away performances unlikely to attract many newcomers. 7,500 - 8,500. One team who could still do something in this league, but who flatter to deceive and unfortunately also struggle to score, against an average team who can score goals and who have better recent form than us that includes away wins at Newport and Yeovil. We need to score first. 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1, 2-0, 2-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-0, 3-1, 3-2.

Otis

As it IS windy I would actually consider playing both Biamou and Vincent I, for their aerial presence. Could be a day for the long ball and flick ons.

Great_Expectations

As it IS windy I would actually consider playing both Biamou and Vincent I, for their aerial presence. Could be a day for the long ball and flick ons.

If it’s windy wouldn’t the opposite be better i.e. keeping the ball on the floor?

I appreciate that involves a team with actual footballers in which is where we will fall down....

AJB1983

I have to agree about the reaction to Tuesday - I think it was over the top.
Of course I’m not happy we have lost two on bounce and not scored for a while, but of the 22 attempts the other night, how many were chances that anyone can honestly say “he has to score there”.
2 at most. I’m thinking when nazon pulled his shot left, and perhaps biamou’s header. Apart from that they were all either blocked, saved, deflected or too weak to really trouble.
Maybe I’m being overly positive but I genuinely wouldn’t change too much from the starting 11, and I feel that someone is due a spanking - once that happens I think we’ll go on a run.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Tim Fisher in the program today.
Just the same old bullshit !!!

Esoterica

I have to agree about the reaction to Tuesday - I think it was over the top.
Of course I’m not happy we have lost two on bounce and not scored for a while, but of the 22 attempts the other night, how many were chances that anyone can honestly say “he has to score there”.
2 at most. I’m thinking when nazon pulled his shot left, and perhaps biamou’s header. Apart from that they were all either blocked, saved, deflected or too weak to really trouble.
Maybe I’m being overly positive but I genuinely wouldn’t change too much from the starting 11, and I feel that someone is due a spanking - once that happens I think we’ll go on a run.
I think the fact we only created 2 'he has to score' chances against a team that concede an average 3 goals a game is exactly why it needs changing - the system at a minimum, if not the personnel.

AJB1983

I think the fact we only created 2 'he has to score' chances against a team that concede an average 3 goals a game is exactly why it needs changing - the system at a minimum, if not the personnel.
I’d be interested to see what system FGR played in their previous games - whether they changed in specifically for us, as I felt they were very defensive and hard to break down, closed us down quickly.
Maybe they knew if they played like they do normally against us we would have a field day.
Let’s face it, burge only had one thing to do (which he screwed up).
I don’t think Kelly had the best game, and Nazon almost seemed to be trying too hard to do it all himself at times.
McNulty needs games and a goal to settle him down, Biamou I felt did ok, especially winning his headers, but can’t see him being a 10-goals plus striker.

fatso

I'm going for a predictable 0-0 (this may change when the team sheet comes out)

They will park the bus, we won't be able to break them down despite having shit loads of possession.
Attendance 6000 cold windswept sad lost soles.

Esoterica

I’d be interested to see what system FGR played in their previous games - whether they changed in specifically for us, as I felt they were very defensive and hard to break down, closed us down quickly.
Maybe they knew if they played like they do normally against us we would have a field day.
Let’s face it, burge only had one thing to do (which he screwed up).
I don’t think Kelly had the best game, and Nazon almost seemed to be trying too hard to do it all himself at times.
McNulty needs games and a goal to settle him down, Biamou I felt did ok, especially winning his headers, but can’t see him being a 10-goals plus striker.
Even if they did change the system for us, Robins knew they would. He was quoted as saying 'they'll come and park the bus' after the Accrington game and yet still played a back 6 with nothing through the middle. He's said Colchester will do the same, I'm looking forward to what he changes today as we've scored 1 goal in 3 games against teams that have been in the bottom 2 when we've played them. Agree with all your player comments but I think this squad could be spanking teams if set up to play to our forwards strengths.

Esoterica

I'm going for a predictable 0-0 (this may change when the team sheet comes out)

They will park the bus, we won't be able to break them down despite having shit loads of possession.
Attendance 6000 cold windswept sad lost soles.
You'll only have yourself to blame, it's not really the weather for taking your shoes off at the match.

fatso

Lost souls, that should of read! (Thanks Esoterica)

What does DNA stand for? ....... national dislexic association!

Esoterica

I watched some of the Haiti highlights in the week, Nazon is very much the star player and was shooting (and scoring) from anywhere. Maybe it's his inexperience but he definitely carried that mentality into the FGR game. Was quite surprised we rushed him straight back in too after all the travelling he's done.

fatso

I watched some of the Haiti highlights in the week, Nazon is very much the star player and was shooting (and scoring) from anywhere. Maybe it's his inexperience but he definitely carried that mentality into the FGR game. Was quite surprised we rushed him straight back in too after all the travelling he's done.
I think he's shooting too often as he doesn't trust those around him to do any better.

dongonzalos

I think he's shooting too often as he doesn't trust those around him to do any better.

Fatso you don’t want to say that.
Apparently that doesn’t happen in Football. If your confidence is high and you are on much better form than the other striker who can’t score for toffee. .
This has no influence whatever in your decision making when you bet on yourself taking a shot over a pass to them.

Users who are viewing this thread