Coventry City fan investigated by employer after sick jibe at Bradford City fans (1 Viewer)

xcraigx

Their chairman at the time experienced quite a surprising number of similar accidents at his other businesses.

The Story of the Bradford Fire: ‘could any man really be as unlucky as Stafford Heginbotham?’

It was the last game for the old main stand and it would have been a blatantly obvious occurance had it been an inside job. I think an Australian chap admitted to dropping a lit match or fag on the vicinity of where the flames were first spotted. The BBC did a very moving program about it a year or so back.

Hobo

Hobo

I remember someone at the time of the fire telling me he went to see a certain comedian and he said a gag in Bradford concerning this incident. I thought it was made up and although the comedian denies it an article I've just read claimed he said exactly what this bloke told me.

It's far worse that's for sure. I'm not excusing this imbecile but Twitter and social media seems to make some people behave like idiots.

It is not so much "social media seems to make people behave like idiots", but social media gives them a platform to promote their idiocy.

Esoterica

It is not so much "social media seems to make people behave like idiots", but social media gives them a platform to promote their idiocy.
Agreed. Hope he does get the sack - for me it's just a modern form of natural selection. Cyber-Darwinism.

Grendel

If you are not suggesting it was arson, I doubt anybody would choose to do it on a match day?

I remembered Coventry had a stand burn down at Highfield Road overnight what's your view on that?

Bradford was a complete tragedy, horrific, I remember it well.

You should at least read the book, or the serialisation of it and then see what your view is.

The CPS did I believe consider a manslaughter charge.

The person who survived and wrote the book did enormous research on the subject.

Moff

It's a tricky one really. I agree the behaviour appears insensitive and idiotic. But to actually call him as you have 'a complete idiot' he might be sensitive to - & say your behaviour is insensitive...& as he might have thought he was just having a bit of harmless banter, but you never asked him, your behaviour was stupid too.
Where does it all end? Anyone's guess!

Sorry Bazza, I would respectively say in my eyes that mocking an incident where 56 people lost their lives and me calling the bloke that said it a complete idiot, are incomparable.

OffenhamSkyBlue

As someone with relatives who are Bantams fans, the suggestion that this could be passed off as "harmless banter" is ridiculous. IMHO, it is FAR more hurtful than someone suggesting that their city has a high South Asian population. You try getting away with a similar comment about Hillsborough at a Liverpool match.

ajsccfc

While the fella has brought it on himself, it seems a poor show from the Telegraph to publicise his name which just encourages internet vigilantes to continue the circle of abuse.

Nick

Administrator
While the fella has brought it on himself, it seems a poor show from the Telegraph to publicise his name which just encourages internet vigilantes to continue the circle of abuse.

Then there is the "reaction" article about it though ;)

I don't like the whole witch hunt stuff, yeah the bloke said something and was a twat. Maybe let him apologise to the bradford trust, make a donation and be educated about it.

ajsccfc

To make it even better

j2a0wH0.png

y8Em6ih.png

Top flight journalism, would recommend to colleagues

NorthernWisdom

You should at least read the book, or the serialisation of it and then see what your view is.

The CPS did I believe consider a manslaughter charge.

The person who survived and wrote the book did enormous research on the subject.

Yeah I remember discussing it when released. Think on balance it's conspiracy theory, but a more plausible one than many.

fernandopartridge

Yeah I remember discussing it when released. Think on balance it's conspiracy theory, but a more plausible one than many.

Like Offenham says, it was very similar to the Kings Cross Fire, a dropped cigarette on an accumulation of litter and debris sitting under a wooden structure (stand and escalator in the Kings Cross case). Tragic accident, the impact of which could have been lessened, e.g. the gates being padlocked.

Nick

Administrator
Like Offenham says, it was very similar to the Kings Cross Fire, a dropped cigarette on an accumulation of litter and debris sitting under a wooden structure (stand and escalator in the Kings Cross case). Tragic accident, the impact of which could have been lessened, e.g. the gates being padlocked.

I might try and find the documentary. So the gates were locked so people were trapped?

OffenhamSkyBlue

How things have moved on since those days. I was watching a clip recently of an old City match in about 87, and we were still all behind those 9ft fences, with no hope of escape if something went wrong (not to mention the endless monkey noises from opposition fans whenever Cyrille got the ball - disgusting).

SkyblueBazza

Sorry Bazza, I would respectively say in my eyes that mocking an incident where 56 people lost their lives and me calling the bloke that said it a complete idiot, are incomparable.
Oh I entirely agree. Venting such stuff is idiotic. Doing it in the knowledge that you have also told everyone who you work for is double-daft too. My niggle over this is the inconsistencies of organisations/employers/trades. Manager sacked; player reprimanded; journalists & politicians encouraged or respected for similarly idiocy all conducted in the organisation/employer's name

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Captain Dart

I have a mate who was there that day. He paid for two mates to go in. He was the only one of the three to get out alive. He has to live with the guilt every day although he did nothing wrong. He has ended up losing his business and family because he can't cope even after all these years. He saw sights most can't even imagine.

He isn't the only one having a bad time either. Bradford is full of people who have been badly affected by it. Not sure what should happen to him. But there is one thing for sure. There are a lot of idiots who think that laws, morality and sensibility do not exist at football.
Jesus, that's tragic.

rupert_bear

The Bradford fire. I have seen the complete footage of it during a safety briefing a few years ago, unbelievable really from the first puff of smoke to the whole stand being engulfed in flames is less than 4 minutes.

Hugh Jarse

He will get the sack, that's what happens nowadays and Bradford fans will make sure he does by threatening to close their NatWest accounts etc.

Oh please, do you really think this is going to happen? So what, a few disenfranchised individuals who have taken great exception to this will close their accounts but this won't be a reason to sack him. Yes, he's been a tool and is probably $hitting Toblerones at this moment in time but I don't think he should get the sack.

fernandopartridge

The Bradford fire. I have seen the complete footage of it during a safety briefing a few years ago, unbelievable really from the first puff of smoke to the whole stand being engulfed in flames is less than 4 minutes.

It's on youtube with John Helm commentating, it really is one of the most shocking videos around, far worse than Hillsborough or Heysel footage.

duffer

If you are not suggesting it was arson, I doubt anybody would choose to do it on a match day?

I remembered Coventry had a stand burn down at Highfield Road overnight what's your view on that?

Bradford was a complete tragedy, horrific, I remember it well.

I'm not really one for conspiracy theories, but the chairman at Bradford was owned or connected to businesses that suffered a remarkable number of fires (Guardian graphic shown below).

In adjusted terms it's said he received insurance and fire-related payouts of over £27m over the years.

I'm not sure that I'd be quite so certain that Bradford was a tragic accident. It may have been, but there are definitely strong grounds for doubt, imho.

Bradford-fires-map-01.svg

Nick

Administrator
I'm not really one for conspiracy theories, but the chairman at Bradford was owned or connected to businesses that suffered a remarkable number of fires (Guardian graphic shown below).

In adjusted terms it's said he received insurance and fire-related payouts of over £27m over the years.

I'm not sure that I'd be quite so certain that Bradford was a tragic accident. It may have been, but there are definitely strong grounds for doubt, imho.

Bradford-fires-map-01.svg
I read that, but then I thought why on a match day?

covmark

It's on youtube with John Helm commentating, it really is one of the most shocking videos around, far worse than Hillsborough or Heysel footage.
Just watched it for the first time. You're right, it's truly harrowing. The poor chap stumbling around completely on fire genuinely sent a shiver down my spine.
Horrendous.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

oscillatewildly

Oh please, do you really think this is going to happen? So what, a few disenfranchised individuals who have taken great exception to this will close their accounts but this won't be a reason to sack him. Yes, he's been a tool and is probably $hitting Toblerones at this moment in time but I don't think he should get the sack.
Totally agree. The guy's a knob, make no mistake but doesn't deserve dismissal. Make him do the end of day cashing up for a week or whatever other menial practice they do. Prank 'hold up' maybe when he's the only staff member in the branch. That'll learn him.

ajsccfc

Just watched it for the first time. You're right, it's truly harrowing. The poor chap stumbling around completely on fire genuinely sent a shiver down my spine.
Horrendous.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That was the part I had to stop it, it's like something from a horror film. How anyone can use it for online 'banter' is beyond me.

Grendel

I read that, but then I thought why on a match day?

That's true.

Either way in pretty sure there had been letters sent to the chairman asking to resolve safety concerns which first he denied seeing and then had to admit he had.
There was a large bill coming.
It's not at all a bonkers conspiracy theory. It's a perfectly constructed case with lots of circumstantial evidence to support it.

The fact the game was on is the one thing that invalidates it. If it hadn't been then you'd say the evidence was compelling.
If there really had been 8 claims for fire related insurance in the past then that can't just be flicked away as a conspiracy.

Covstu

There are lines you don't cross in discussion forums, banter, in the crowd, social media etc and they are tragic events, racism to name but two and we have ticked those boxes this week sadly. Not great when we are looking for ally's in our plight and making enemies at every turn.

He should be warned by his employer but he won't get sacked. If he threatened to burn it down then that might be different

napolimp

That's true.

Either way in pretty sure there had been letters sent to the chairman asking to resolve safety concerns which first he denied seeing and then had to admit he had.
There was a large bill coming.
It's not at all a bonkers conspiracy theory. It's a perfectly constructed case with lots of circumstantial evidence to support it.

The fact the game was on is the one thing that invalidates it. If it hadn't been then you'd say the evidence was compelling.
If there really had been 8 claims for fire related insurance in the past then that can't just be flicked away as a conspiracy.

Lincoln City is my second club, and what happened on that day has always facinated me. I've read all the published material, and watched all the documentaries made about what happened. I came to the same conclusion - although something didn't quite seem right, it happened on a match day so must have been a tragic accident.

Having said that, there has always been a small doubt in the back of my mind, wondering if that was the exact reason why the fire occured in those circumstances - because it was a match day, beacuse it would seem so implausible, horrific, and evil for someone to plan for such an episode to occur in that scenario, that it wouldn't be questioned.

Users who are viewing this thread