Match Thread Coventry City - Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 5th Aug (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Diving, I think McNulty needing a dentist is quite telling. In the first half he got a decent knee in the back too.

ready_96

Really happy with the performance, 1st half more so. 2nd half we were more defensive as they pushed for an equalizer, but we coped well with obrien claiming everything close to him in the air and helping ease the pressure.

IMO id say the weak link in the team is vincente. At fault for the square pass he played and they hit the post from it. Felt he was good in the air and he did play a nice through ball for the 1st goal i believe? But he reminded me of a skinnier andy rose from a few seasons back...for me not a player that should be playing on the wing.

Id be using him off the bench and start nazon. Jones and Nazon will give every RB and LB in the league trouble and we need to utilize them.

All in all great start to the season, we need to get lucky with the injuries and we could be on our way back up! :)

Pete in Portugal

Thanks to IFollow got to see first city match in several years. No commentary which was fine by me, but the crowd sounds were badly out of sync. I didn't realise this until the first goal was greeted by near silence. At first I thought it had been disallowed then saw the.players congratulating Jones. Then a roar came through about 5 or 6 secs after the goal and it was like that for the whole game. Never mind, great to be able to watch now.

Hi Phil - I watched on iFollow too. You can watch and listen to the commentary in another tab. There are obviously syc. issues, but by refreshing the commentary a few times, I managed to get it more or less synched for the whole of the second half.

Ricketts

One thing I will agree with Notts County fans is I also thought the ref was poor.

Shouldve made bookings long before. The only one he did was after the assistant ref reported the dissent.

Also, not sure if anyone else saw this but early door after our corner both one of our players and one of theres was on the ground. Ours got up (McNulty? Beavon?) and the County player on the ground tried to grab his ankle.

Trip or attempt to trip is an offence. As it was in the box it shouldve been a penalty. Play had moved on, but the offence is the same. I remember a few years ago one of our goalies did something similar and a penalty was awarded.

(The knee in McNulty's back was a penalty too)

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, their defender wrestled Beavon to the ground. I think it took the linesman to actually realise. It was WWE stuff, the throw to the ground should have been a penalty.

Astute

Take a look at @adam_ls1's Tweet:
Just spotted this on twitter, not sure if it's been posted yet but Doyle left his mark on one of their players

They started the dodgy tackles. But for once we can pay them back with interest.

Skybluefaz

They started the dodgy tackles. But for once we can pay them back with interest.
Absolutely, they started it, the referee absolutely did fuck all to stop it other than act like he was the leading star in a stage show and so it becomes tit for tat. The difference is that last season we'd have come out worse off as we didn't have the hard nuts of Kelly and Doyle in the middle.

Mucca Mad Boys

Really happy with the performance, 1st half more so. 2nd half we were more defensive as they pushed for an equalizer, but we coped well with obrien claiming everything close to him in the air and helping ease the pressure.

IMO id say the weak link in the team is vincente. At fault for the square pass he played and they hit the post from it. Felt he was good in the air and he did play a nice through ball for the 1st goal i believe? But he reminded me of a skinnier andy rose from a few seasons back...for me not a player that should be playing on the wing.

Id be using him off the bench and start nazon. Jones and Nazon will give every RB and LB in the league trouble and we need to utilize them.

All in all great start to the season, we need to get lucky with the injuries and we could be on our way back up! :)

I think that's a really harsh assessment of Vincenti! He played his tactical role really well! Tracked back and made tackles on the wing, linked up with Stokes and McNulty well and got a tidy assist for the 1st goal. His role is not one of a traditional winger who will take on full backs with pace and get crosses in! His role is that of a wide target man and his performance was effective in that role!

My first impression of Duckens is very positive, but that piece of brilliance was at the end of a game we had already won! I hope he can do that at all stages of the game! I want to see what he can do v Blackburn!

bawtryneal

I think that's a really harsh assessment of Vincenti! He played his tactical role really well! Tracked back and made tackles on the wing, linked up with Stokes and McNulty well and got a tidy assist for the 1st goal. His role is not one of a traditional winger who will take on full backs with pace and get crosses in! His role is that of a wide target man and his performance was effective in that role!

My first impression of Duckens is very positive, but that piece of brilliance was at the end of a game we had already won! I hope he can do that at all stages of the game! I want to see what he can do v Blackburn!

Do we know if Duckens has been given permission by Wolves to play on Tuesday. They may not want him Cup tied.

phildownunder

Hi Phil - I watched on iFollow too. You can watch and listen to the commentary in another tab. There are obviously syc. issues, but by refreshing the commentary a few times, I managed to get it more or less synched for the whole of the second half.

Thanks Pete. Actually I didn`t mind there being no commentary all that much (esp C. Eakin style :rolleyes:). But I might give your suggestion a try if the silence gets to me!

ready_96

I may be proved wrong, but i'm not convinced by him. I agree he wasn't used as a traditional winger, but i personally would prefer to see Nuzan and Jones attacking down both wings, over having a target man. That's what i like to see, quick wingers down the flanks taking on players.

This team has the ability to play football on the deck, we don't need route one hoof ball like the rest of the league 2 teams will revert too.

Liquid Gold

I may be proved wrong, but i'm not convinced by him. I agree he wasn't used as a traditional winger, but i personally would prefer to see Nuzan and Jones attacking down both wings, over having a target man. That's what i like to see, quick wingers down the flanks taking on players.

This team has the ability to play football on the deck, we don't need route one hoof ball like the rest of the league 2 teams will revert too.
We'd have been in a lot more trouble on Saturday without Vincenti. He allowed us to move the ball down the pitch quickly and retain possession. He was one of the main reasons we nullified their game plan.

Nick

Administrator
We'd have been in a lot more trouble on Saturday without Vincenti. He allowed us to move the ball down the pitch quickly and retain possession. He was one of the main reasons we nullified their game plan.

Exactly, we got the ball to our strikers feet within 2 touches from the goalkeeper.

Compare that to when we tried to play it short to full backs or when it came straight back at us.

Astute

You need a ball winner to get the ball before your attacking players can do their bit. And you are not convinced by a player that won just about everything in the air and then got it to one of our own players. Teams will use the high ball when they can't compete with our midfield. We need someone strong in the air.

Mucca Mad Boys

Having both options is useful for sure. In a long season of 50+ games players will get their chances.

I think Vincenti will be a key component of what this team is trying to do! He gets stuck in, tracks back, link up play was good and he won most of, if not all, of his headers. Not the kind of performance that wins many plaudits, but it was effective nonetheless.

The team Robins has built, I think, will be efficient. To echo Nolan's comments: we didn't do anything special. But, we were brutally efficient and effective in what we did. We harassed Notts County on the ball, we mixed up our passing and created a lot of chances and got a good result. Efficient and effective displays will get us out of this league.

wingy

Sounds like he's being utilised like Scowcroft was by Adams.
That was effective but I can't remember If it got nullified as other teams sussed it out.

Nick

Administrator
That was effective but I can't remember If it got nullified as other teams sussed it out.

Up against a bigger, stronger full back it might not work as well. Hopefully there would be a plan B and preparation for those games though. Robins trained based on their 2 strikers as well.

Vincenti isn't going to be a player flying down the wing with stepovers, but with him and Jones keep swapping sides it put them off a little bit as well. Vincenti drifted centrally a bit more as well.

Astute

How do you get the better of someone who is so good in the air? Can see some red cards coming for our opponents.

Nick

Administrator
How do you get the better of someone who is so good in the air? Can see some red cards coming for our opponents.

Pre Season he hardly won a thing when we tried it. Can't really remember the full backs but think he was getting muscled a bit.

Hopefully it works every game though ;)

wingy

Up against a bigger, stronger full back it might not work as well. Hopefully there would be a plan B and preparation for those games though. Robins trained based on their 2 strikers as well.

Vincenti isn't going to be a player flying down the wing with stepovers, but with him and Jones keep swapping sides it put them off a little bit as well. Vincenti drifted centrally a bit more as well.
Yep horses for courses and all that.
If we end up where we can vary it through 3-4 modes of play that's a strong proposition.

Astute

Pre Season he hardly won a thing when we tried it. Can't really remember the full backs but think he was getting muscled a bit.

Hopefully it works every game though ;)
I didn't get to see any pre season. But I put it down to being a bit rusty and not match fit ;)

Nick

Administrator
Yep horses for courses and all that.
If we end up where we can vary it through 3-4 modes of play that's a strong proposition.

Our main 2 were direct to PV and then knock downs to strikers or the counter attack down the sides.

Liquid Gold

With the duck as an option and, now Thomas seems to have made his mind up, another AM coming in we will be able to vary things.

I actually trust our manager to get things right this season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed.

That's the thing: I don't think many teams will have a full back to compete with a 6"5 winger. If they do have one, will they have another when we swap Vincenti and Jones around? I think it's a shrewd tactic from Robins.

Nick

Administrator
Agreed.

That's the thing: I don't think many teams will have a full back to compete with a 6"5 winger. If they do have one, will they have another when we swap Vincenti and Jones around? I think it's a shrewd tactic from Robins.

Doesn't have to be as big, just a bit of strength and awkwardness to put him off.

wingy

Our main 2 were direct to PV and then knock downs to strikers or the counter attack down the sides.
Of course this requires a goalie who has an accurate boot on him.
Was it Marshall when we had Scowcroft?
This would count Burge out I think.

fernandopartridge

What really impressed me with our goals is that we had more than one player in the opposition's box. For the 3rd, Doyle and Kelly got there. So many times last season we were so deep.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
What really impressed me with our goals is that we had more than one player in the opposition's box. For the 3rd, Doyle and Kelly got there. So many times last season we were so deep.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thought that with Kelly in Pre season as well, he was always lurking about to make a late run into the box and would tap it in if the keeper saves it.

So used to seeing midfielders stop when they get to the D on the halfway line.

Irish Sky Blue

If you have two small guys up front then there is no aerial ball option (although that didn't stop Slade persevering with this last season). I thought it was a clever way of using Vincenti's attributes as he was there to win the ball in the air and start attacks that way. Without him we lose that option. I thought he did well.

Mucca Mad Boys

What impressed me most about the game was how effective the performance was. We pressed them into giving the ball away really easily, the team demonstrated a mixture of passing in attack and we created some good chances too. We looked comfortable throughout, even when we went through a period where they were slightly on top. Their best chance came from a deflection from good defence from Doyle and the defence. I was really impressed.

Mucca Mad Boys

If you have two small guys up front then there is no aerial ball option (although that didn't stop Slade persevering with this last season). I thought it was a clever way of using Vincenti's attributes as he was there to win the ball in the air and start attacks that way. Without him we lose that option. I thought he did well.

100% agreed. I feel like you need the direct option too in this league. However, despite Beavon's size, he competed really well and won a few good flick ons. But there will be games where he won't get them flick ons.

JulianDarbyFTW

I think Vincenti is a great option. He swapped with Jones repeatedly, and both are so different that the opposition fullbacks have to effectively have 2 game plans. He tracked back well, got up top to support when he could, and took no shit. He also slotted into the middle a few times too, covering when Kelly went to press very high up. The sort of player that won't necessarily stand out, but is vital to the team. Flair players have their place, but you need workhorses too.

Users who are viewing this thread