Match Thread Coventry City - Port Vale Match Thread - Saturday 9th Sep (1 Viewer)

Rodders1

3 points and I thought we should have been up 2 nil at least before the red card incident. Hopefully confidence in front of goal will increase - can't rely on jones every week.

Incidentally not seen a reply of the red card - but I thought it was harsh, not the last man, and both players fell over each other a far as I could see.

Worryingly we crawled over the line v port vale today. Drew nil nil with chesterfield who I think got spanked today - both at the bottom. We need to convert our chances!!!

skybluegod

No, to put it simply from the start of this season if a challenge to win the ball in the penalty area was a "genuine attempt to play the ball" in the opinion of the referee, a penalty is awarded and a caution. Whereas last season it would be a double whammy i.e. penalty and red card.

Yes so like I said it was relaxed? And if the foul was accidental, i.e. He made a genuine attempt
It's not a red card, like I said?
To me he is trying to play the ball, or at least trying to get himself between the goal and the player, so not a red card. But it's happened and we move on

Otis

Shame, cos he was excellent yet again.

Crazy rules in football sometimes. McDonald gets a red for a genuine attempt at getting the ball and the Port Vale guy gets just a yellow for cynically and deliberately chopping Beavon down when we would have been clean through.

I think any cynical, deliberate taking out of a player should result in a red card.

Nick

Administrator
Fact of life unfortunately. If you keep cutting costs and offering a less and less attractive product. Your customer base will naturally fall.
Still I am sure it will become part of a justification as to why we no longer suit playing at the Ricoh.
Did you go?

Tommo72

My take on the game...

Port Vale are probably one of the most abject, dull teams we will face all season and clearly their fans are completely disillusioned. They had players out of position and as has already been pointed out they were completely one dimensional with no pace at all. They were physical in the tackle and had some big lads but I doubt you will see a worse performance from an away team at The Ricoh.

As for Cov, as usual we made hard work of it and we scraped past them in the end....the worrying thing is we probably have just played the two current worst teams in the league and we've only managed one goal....

A few comments...

Burge - Didn't have a lot to do and did fine bar a couple of standard dodgy kicks.

Grimmer - Ok performance against minimal threat, lacks pace and his distribution was at times lazy today..as was the case last week we clearly need more down the right side, Vincenti doesn't have the pace to offer a credible threat.

Vincenti - I have criticised him and I don't like him but his second half performance was much better so fair play.

Kelly/Doyle - As already pointed out too similar but I think Kelly is the more creative out of the two and one of them should go but for who?

The Duck - strong and willing but not the answer as a goalscorer, will provide a decent outlet but can't see him being anything more than an option to bring on at this stage

Jones - A class above anybody else on the pitch, didn't see enough of the ball in the second half but the only player who really looked like making anything happen. Teams are wising up to him and he's a marked man all season now. If he gets injured then as it stands we are screwed.

Tony A - Didn't do an awful lot but we should be looking to make him our Midfield General, clearly has ability but lacking match practice etc. Hopefully not a bad injury.

Rest of the defence - Looking solid and to be fair this end of the pitch is encouraging with yet another clean sheet - we look difficult to breakdown for sure.

McNulty/Beavon - Both very average until they went off, more creativity from the middle and the right side needed although was pleased to see the tactic of long balls to the front seems to have diminished.

Must beat Carlisle now to build momentum and confidence in the team, we still haven't played one of the better teams in my opinion and although there aren't any outstanding teams as of yet, the Exeter game will show where we are at. A point at Cambridge would be a decent return.

Grendel

Got FP on block have done for a while he is a just a mere wum. Once he bottled a charity bet over one of his wumming comments. That was enough to expose the weasel for what he really is.

He took the bet you buffoon.

Pete in Portugal

Rod took one for the team just took him out before he reached d penalty area

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It looked a red card to me, but I still don't understand why the ref consulted the wrong lino? If it's only a one match ban, it's probably best not to appeal it.

skybluegod

That's not too bad then, can make sure he's over the injury too!
Yeah, although it might be worth an appeal still anyway imo.
Especially if Davies or Willis picked up any knocks? I know some mentioned that they were limping at some point in the game?

Grendel

lifeskyblue

Even watching the replay I can't make my mind up as to what actually happened. Was it even a foul or was it a cynical take out of the player? looks accidental rather than deliberate. Two things surprised me were the way the player went down and the refs decision to go to the Lino who was further away than almost anyone on the pitch. When he went to that Lino I think it can only be to ask if he thought the player went down without being touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

Shame, cos he was excellent yet again.

Crazy rules in football sometimes. McDonald gets a red for a genuine attempt at getting the ball and the Port Vale guy gets just a yellow for cynically and deliberately chopping Beavon down when we would have been clean through.

I think any cynical, deliberate taking out of a player should result in a red card.
Absolutely agree...a cynical foul should be a red card full stop, pisses me off that in the opinion of a 'referee' that a player gets a yellow even though we can see its usually a player feigning injury then another stupid 'foul' again in the referees opinion they get sent off, but hacking someone down and potentially putting them out of the game they just get a yellow, always said that theres too many grey areas for referees and most of them are fucking colour blind and gullible

lifeskyblue

It's the structure of the game not the referees. They are honest and in the main do a very good job (ok some could be a little fitter). It's players who cheat and try and con the ref...simulation, kicks off ball, shirt pulling etc. Often impossible for ref to see or judge. Look on match of day (and on here) for times people disagree with each other even after the benefit of watching replay after replay.
There should be no approaching ref/officials apart from captain. Yesterday their manager and coaches werecontinually on face of Lino and 4th official. Should have been sent to stands.

Grendel

I know there isn't.

He would I assume have been checking the angle of the ball and if he could make a shot

I tend to look at these things as if it was the other way round and the foul was against us. I think the crowd would ha e been baying for the player to go. Once the foul was given I couldn't see any option but a red

Otis

It's the structure of the game not the referees. They are honest and in the main do a very good job (ok some could be a little fitter). It's players who cheat and try and con the ref...simulation, kicks off ball, shirt pulling etc. Often impossible for ref to see or judge. Look on match of day (and on here) for times people disagree with each other even after the benefit of watching replay after replay.
There should be no approaching ref/officials apart from captain. Yesterday their manager and coaches werecontinually on face of Lino and 4th official. Should have been sent to stands.

Port Vale were trying every little trick yesterday. Consistently stealing at least 5 yards on throw ins. When they gave a foul away, picking up the ball and walking 20 yards away with it before giving it back, time wasting, even from 10 mins into the game.

Thought the ref lost a bit of control in the second half and I could see why Vincenti was narked. Just before he was booked a Port Vale player raised a very high boot in his face down by Singers Corner and Vincenti is not a small fella. It was clearly a free kick to us, but not given. We broke away and it ended up with Vincenti diving in and getting a yellow card by the half way line.

And on the Port Vale thing, if this is the manager's ploy to play in this manner, I hope Michael Brown is out of the management game real soon.

Adge

Yes so like I said it was relaxed? And if the foul was accidental, i.e. He made a genuine attempt
It's not a red card, like I said?
To me he is trying to play the ball, or at least trying to get himself between the goal and the player, so not a red card. But it's happened and we move on
Yes, just seen it back and looks harsh and was outside the area.

letsallsingtogether

Happened right in front of us.
He was never going to score from there 2 City players were in the middle covering yellow at most.
And yes we would have been baying for a red opposition fans always do, doesn't mean it was.

David O'Day

He would I assume have been checking the angle of the ball and if he could make a shot

I tend to look at these things as if it was the other way round and the foul was against us. I think the crowd would ha e been baying for the player to go. Once the foul was given I couldn't see any option but a red
Well if you say it was a red then you can be sure it wasn't.

singers_pore

Having seen the replay I think it was a red because the player was cutting inside while Rod's momentum was taking him in the opposite direction. Their player would have been through on goal if he hadn't been clipped by Rod.

dongonzalos

He took the bet you buffoon.

Must have been quite a while afterwards.
I blocked him after he side stepped it And was posting afterwards, ignoring anything to do with it.
Have enjoyed having him in block. He is just a snidey character doesn't post anything constructive just nasty digs at people. No interest in hearing his snidenes to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread