Match Thread Coventry City vs Northampton Town (Checkatrade) (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Kid

Waiting for the MRI and then the surgeon will schedule the ACL reconstruction. Think that's me retired!

If you're having reconstruction then sorry mate, yes you're retired. Mind you, surgery has advanced a lot over the last 30-35 years. When mine went tits up(ACL) that was the finish of my career. Played Ice Hockey for a couple of years but soon packed sport in at all levels. :(

Skyblueweeman

Really? It's a pointless game in a pointless competition.

No it's not. For a team devoid of anything positive, it was a chance for some players to continue to gel into a team that's not really clicked this season, especially as we don't have a game on Saturday.

It'll give those who scored, a little more confidence and if, by some miracle, we get to Wembley, it would be a massive shot in the arm for this club of ours.

Oh...and if we did somehow manage to make it to Wembley, what an opportunity for a protest. National final, on the TV, all sorts of media outlets covering it...great opportunity to make our voices heard even more.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

If you're having reconstruction then sorry mate, yes you're retired. Mind you, surgery has advanced a lot over the last 30-35 years. When mine went tits up(ACL) that was the finish of my career. Played Ice Hockey for a couple of years but soon packed sport in at all levels. :(

Depends how long ago you had the surgery, they've made significant advances in the last 10-15 years or so. My 3 have all come in the last 4-5 years and I was back playing sport after 9-12 months. That said, some sports are just dreadful for the old cruciate, football included especially at the amateur level, so my 5-a-side days are well over now!

Pipehitterz

enjoyed the night, only went cuz of lack of games this next couple weeks
bigi was brilliant, his crisp passing was a level above

vlad, total garbage
tudgay, why bother, dreadful, touched the ball once after coming on
sordell massively wasted out on the left, but managed to put in a good shift

and i'll harp on again, steery an page are poor, really poor. wanna see haynes back in the side

9 changes from saturday? i find that hardly likely, you are meant to feild at least 5 from previous

Skyblueweeman

Just saw that Bradford subbed their GK after 3 minutes last night to give their reserve keeper a run out and thus, getting round the rules.

*Edit - It was Bradford, not Bury.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just catching up on the reports from last night while eating brekkie before going for a swim! Hard life this :D

Pleased to see we got another win. Can we play cup games every week? Even if it does mean 2 games in a week and little time playing on the grass :D or was that just tone'a rule?

Be back for Saturday's game.......if there was one :D

As we've seen 2 victories in my absense I'm thinking I should go ahead with a boycott until we lose again.

Should we run a poll? ;)

Esoterica

Depends how long ago you had the surgery, they've made significant advances in the last 10-15 years or so. My 3 have all come in the last 4-5 years and I was back playing sport after 9-12 months. That said, some sports are just dreadful for the old cruciate, football included especially at the amateur level, so my 5-a-side days are well over now!
Well technically I ruptured my anterior in 2014, had surgery in 2015 to remove it and tidy up the collateral damage as the damaged ends were getting pinched in the knee joint. The surgeon advised at the time a reconstruction could perhaps be avoided with some luck but on Sunday the posterior went too after I got caught side on. Pretty gutted about it because, at 38 now, it was already a long road back although I've had best part of 20 years without serious injury (couple of broken ankles aside). Now I have to decide if I want the classic patella tendon graft or the new synthetic ones they have recently started using. Tempted to go for the synthetic, recovery time is quicker because they don't have to take the tendon from the knee and the operation itself shorter because of it.

The worst part for me is looking like a dick for 3 months with one bald leg! :)

torchomatic

I think the lack of atmosphere probably brought the players down do you think torchy?

Yeah, agree Steve. Funny, the game seemed really long because of the lack of atmosphere. Glad we went though, they've both been entertaining games in the competition so far. Seven goals scored.

Sky Blue Kid

Mine was back in the "Ice Age" I was ok for a couple of months but the knee kept swelling, then go down, then swell again. The finish though was being "Hooked" playing Solihull Barons when my skate got wedged between the bottom of the boards and the ice. My knee popped. Never played competitively again.

torchomatic

Looks like we're the only match that hasn't been covered on SSN this morning?!

THey showed the goals earlier, looked even better on the tele.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

enjoyed the night, only went cuz of lack of games this next couple weeks
bigi was brilliant, his crisp passing was a level above

vlad, total garbage
tudgay, why bother, dreadful, touched the ball once after coming on
sordell massively wasted out on the left, but managed to put in a good shift

and i'll harp on again, steery an page are poor, really poor. wanna see haynes back in the side

9 changes from saturday? i find that hardly likely, you are meant to feild at least 5 from previous

As I am feeling positive after last night's display I will say 'poor, really poor' is a bit harsh (although i did question them throughout :))

I would say the same about Haynes, especially with Page. I don't see anything in Page that Haynes can't do equally if not better (especially attacking). His first touch and Sterry's for that matter last night seemed particularly poor. Sterry I am not so fussed about as I am not sure Kelly-Evans is quite there just yet, but in my mind Haynes is on par if not better than Page.

On a little sidenote, an older chap took a tumble down the stairs behind the away stand towards the roundabout last night, along with a few others we helped him up to his feet and made sure he was okay, which he insisted he was. He appeared to be on his own, but just wanted to check if anyone had heard a friend had fallen & just wanted to check he was definitely alright really.

Esoterica

As I am feeling positive after last night's display I will say 'poor, really poor' is a bit harsh (although i did question them throughout :))

I would say the same about Haynes, especially with Page. I don't see anything in Page that Haynes can't do equally if not better (especially attacking). His first touch and Sterry's for that matter last night seemed particularly poor. Sterry I am not so fussed about as I am not sure Kelly-Evans is quite there just yet, but in my mind Haynes is on par if not better than Page.
I'm starting to think Page must have a clause in his loan contract that he plays if fit, last night seemed an ideal chance for Haynes.

Bugsy

Can anyone get the highlights up want to see the goals again....PUSB

SkyBlueCharlie

Really enjoyed last night, two teams playing passing football, very few fouls and stoppages and we scored three good goals. All in all, a good night out.

Captain Dart

Last nights Northampton team was a bit different to the one they fielded on Saturday.
Last Night

Cornell; Phillips, Nyatanga, McDonald, Buchanan; Sonupe (H/T, Beautyman; 80 mins, D’Ath ), O’Toole, McCourt, Gorre; Hooper, Richards (67 mins, Hoskins).
Saturday
Smith, Maloney, Diamond, Zakuani, Buchanan, O'Toole, Taylor, Anderson (Gorre 65), Beautyman (Richards 64), Hoskins (McCourt 84), Revell.

Covstu

I enjoyed it last night, good to watch and some decent football. This cup clearly cannot be our focus but it would be great if we can get to the final, I don't get the negativity around it. We need all of the positivity we can get at the moment.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Well technically I ruptured my anterior in 2014, had surgery in 2015 to remove it and tidy up the collateral damage as the damaged ends were getting pinched in the knee joint. The surgeon advised at the time a reconstruction could perhaps be avoided with some luck but on Sunday the posterior went too after I got caught side on. Pretty gutted about it because, at 38 now, it was already a long road back although I've had best part of 20 years without serious injury (couple of broken ankles aside). Now I have to decide if I want the classic patella tendon graft or the new synthetic ones they have recently started using. Tempted to go for the synthetic, recovery time is quicker because they don't have to take the tendon from the knee and the operation itself shorter because of it.

The worst part for me is looking like a dick for 3 months with one bald leg! :)

Interesting - I had hamstring tendons used for 2 and then a donor hamstring for the 3rd. Might try the synthetic one next time I get it done, fuck it, nothing to lose now!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Mine was back in the "Ice Age" I was ok for a couple of months but the knee kept swelling, then go down, then swell again. The finish though was being "Hooked" playing Solihull Barons when my skate got wedged between the bottom of the boards and the ice. My knee popped. Never played competitively again.

Ouch, sorry to hear. Not long ago I read Paul Lake's autobiography (ex-Man City) which is all about his troubles with ACL repair, misdiagnosis, countless ops, a ruined career and the associated depression that came with it. Very good read, if you're into your knee war stories like I am.

Users who are viewing this thread