Coventry Evening Telegraph (1 Viewer)

ms639

so there have been 2 stories released in the last 24 hours by the CET relating to CCFC. One relating to a takeover bid by Red Bull and one by a random consortium of ex premier league footballers.

The aforementioned came from a source which was 'strachan soccer foundation coach, Chay Thompson' now I know Chay and he's a good lad but has the loosest of connections to the club and it's clearly a fishing attempt and fair play to him.

The latter was another terrible source relating to some insignificant business man in Coventry claiming a consortium of ex premier league players was in for the club. Stinks of Joe Dhinsa 2.0 to me!

Will they take their sources from anywhere?! I challenged CET journalist Simon Gilbert on the matter very diplomatically and rather than address the issue he opted for blocking me.

I know water is wet etc but the CET is at an all time low on reporting on CCFC. They might proclaim hero status in alienising themselves from the club but the reporting is embarrassing!

Otis

Hey, stop stealing my scoops!

I announced Prince Philip was involved two days ago.

It's a consortium of Robbie Fowler, Prince Philip (they are good mates), Red Bull, Simon Jordan, Jedward, Timmy Mallet, Ann Widdecombe and Red Bull.

A delicious cocktail of beauty, power and drive, that will see the Ricoh transformed into a 120,000 seater stadium, with rectractable roof and NASA rocket launch pad.

It will also be the home of the British government, the G7 and a Krispy Kreme donut stall.

Gaz71

It's a consortium of Robbie Fowler, Prince Philip (they are good mates), Red Bull, Simon Jordan, Jedward, Timmy Mallet, Ann Widdecombe and Red Bull.

A delicious cocktail of beauty, power and drive, that will see the Ricoh transformed into a 120,000 seater stadium, with rectractable roof and NASA rocket launch pad.

It will also be the home of the British government, the G7 and a Krispy Kreme donut stall.

And here's the shit photoshop they can use......
48480ee423ba6bd64fcefffc71a86e95.png

shmmeee

CT started going downhill when Trinity Mirror moved most of the staff to Birmingham
It's not a newspaper any longer it's a classified section which makes money based on how many clicks its idiotic 'exclusives' get.

Which paper is this not true of?

Certainly not the Observer which relies totally on ad revenue (unlike the CT which it's safe to assume makes *some* money from the cover price).

Can we stop making out that the decline of journalism in the 21st century is somehow Simon Gilbert's fault?

All newspapers are click bait shit. This is especially true of local papers that relied on classified ads and sports news in the pre-Internet era.

Nick

Administrator
CT started going downhill when Trinity Mirror moved most of the staff to Birmingham

Certainly not the Observer which relies totally on ad revenue (unlike the CT which it's safe to assume makes *some* money from the cover price).

Can we stop making out that the decline of journalism in the 21st century is somehow Simon Gilbert's fault?

All newspapers are click bait shit. This is especially true of local papers that relied on classified ads and sports news in the pre-Internet era.

Nobody is saying it is all his fault though.

I think the issue is the misleading of CCFC fans and the general attitude of it all ;)

If it was "Im sorry, I have to pay my mortgage and it's a job" rather than trying to make out people are stupid then it's a different story.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think the media coverage locally from all sources has been poor cut and paste standard. I understand the pressures that journalists and papers are under but how many times have they got the basics wrong, misunderstood leading to misled, or failed to ask/report the next obvious question.

just my opinion

covcity4life

lol so defensive

fernandopartridge

I don't disagree with your analysis and don't think this is at all the fault of Simon Gilbert. The internet age and social media has given rise to headlines being even more important than they ever were.

Alkhen

Sad state of modern journalism in the digital age, the drop in quality and the sheer quantity of click bait stories has really racked up over the last year or so.

Not their fault, they have to do what the can to survive but I really doubt the ad revenue can be sustained as people tire/become tuned in to spotting obviously desperate click bait stories

Last edited:

the rumpo kid

Like many on here we've heard it all before, and I wont believe it until the deal has been signed

ajsccfc

Gilbert can only really do as his industry now dictates which isn't his fault. Some of his more bullish responses on Twitter can't help someone also trying to sell a book at the same time though. Les Reid's avatar is a webcam screengrab of that time he won the hipster Olly Murs contest.

Otis

Just read on CT that Ricoh is being adapted to120k stadium and a NASA rocket launch pad.Krispy Kreme stall is a bit far fetched tho
As I say, only just announced yesterday.

You wait and see. Not as far fetched as it sounds, though I hear they are not doing the packs of three donuts. My MP is on it as we speak.

Captain Dart

Bad news week = manufactured articles.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
goes back much further than that Nick, some even pre-dates Simon Gilbert in my opinion. To be honest why shouldn't they use all sources though. Acknowledgement would be nice when they do

Nick

Administrator
That was just the last obvious one I could think of :)

What bugs me is that I get thinly veiled threats if somebody copies and pastes something on here without a link that I am going to get an invoice for it. Mean while they employ "content writers" to just lift content all day every day.

Last edited:

Gosford Green

This is how modern journalism is apparently.

They rely on clicks to please their advertising customers so they have to print nonsense to encourage us to look at a story.
Worse winter forecast for 50 years
10 reason why Coventry is the best place to live
City boss in striker talks

A load of bollocks usually and it does insult the readership but it is not compulsory to read any of it and the scroll past option is available.

chiefdave

goes back much further than that Nick, some even pre-dates Simon Gilbert in my opinion. To be honest why shouldn't they use all sources though. Acknowledgement would be nice when they do
No reason why they shouldn't, although obviously if there's taking something off here that is basically a my mate heard this down the pub rumour it should be presented as such. The problem is not only do they not credit the source, they deny they have sourced things from here and then get abusive with people who point it out to them.

If they aren't sourcing things from here they should be as in recent weeks a lot of their CCFC stories have been on here days, if not weeks, before they've been in the paper.

Nick

Administrator
This is how modern journalism is apparently.

They rely on clicks to please their advertising customers so they have to print nonsense to encourage us to look at a story.
Worse winter forecast for 50 years
10 reason why Coventry is the best place to live
City boss in striker talks

A load of bollocks usually and it does insult the readership but it is not compulsory to read any of it and the scroll past option is available.

I can understand that, it's more the attitude and treating people as stupid.

Captain Dart

That was just the last obvious one I could think of :)

What bugs me is that I get thinly veiled threats if somebody copies and pastes something on here without a link that I am going to get an invoice for it. Mean while they employ "content writers" to just lift content all day every day.

Stick a © notice in your signature and object if they steal your content :)

Nick

Administrator
Stick a © notice in your signature and object if they steal your content :)

Not that fussed, it isn't "my" content as such as it is mainly other people creating it (ie skybluebeduff with his thread). It's just don't deny it and act like people are thick when it's quite obvious. Then don't give me the threats because somebody forgot to put a link.

Users who are viewing this thread