Coventry Evening Telegraph (1 Viewer)

Calista

Ah, for the days when you got home from the match and then went up to the newsagents to get the Pink. Somehow it was even better if you had to wait a few minutes in the dark for the black CET van to pull up, and for a bundle of Pinks tied up with string to be chucked on the pavement with a satisfying thud.

In our area that was about 6 o’clock, so not much more than an hour after the match finished you could read an unpretentious report of all the things that happened in the game, in straightforward chronological order. In the middle pages, you’d get proper articles and interviews about the club, and you’d read them several times because that was your only source of information.

Maybe we were less well informed, but it wasn’t as stressful as today’s minute-by-minute stream of words from every person on the planet, all wasting their time under the illusion that they are influencing events.

I'm not knocking today's journos - to me, most of them are good writers operating in an impossible environment.

Bring back the 20th Century :)

Ranjit Bhurpa

Ah, for the days when you got home from the match and then went up to the newsagents to get the Pink. Somehow it was even better if you had to wait a few minutes in the dark for the black CET van to pull up, and for a bundle of Pinks tied up with string to be chucked on the pavement with a satisfying thud.

In our area that was about 6 o’clock, so not much more than an hour after the match finished you could read an unpretentious report of all the things that happened in the game, in straightforward chronological order. In the middle pages, you’d get proper articles and interviews about the club, and you’d read them several times because that was your only source of information.

Maybe we were less well informed, but it wasn’t as stressful as today’s minute-by-minute stream of words from every person on the planet, all wasting their time under the illusion that they are influencing events.

I'm not knocking today's journos - to me, most of them are good writers operating in an impossible environment.

Bring back the 20th Century :)
And when I left home in the late 70's, my Dad posted the Pink to me each week without fail for the next 15 years or so. Read it in the same style as you but usually on a Tuesday night.

chiefdave

my Dad posted the Pink to me each week without fail for the next 15 years or so.
Same here, From the day I headed off to Uni to the last one they printed (still got that one somewhere).

In a few places previously closed down sports papers have been resurrected, I'd give a new version of the Pink a go. The actual sports writing in the CT is OK if they stuck to just writing about that.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Same here, From the day I headed off to Uni to the last one they printed (still got that one somewhere).

In a few places previously closed down sports papers have been resurrected, I'd give a new version of the Pink a go. The actual sports writing in the CT is OK if they stuck to just writing about that.
I'd give it a go too. It was always the focal point for news about the City, Cov Rugger, Nuneaton Boro, Bedworth, AP Brakes etc, Sunday league footy, Bees speedway and plenty more. As Calista said, articles were written factually and we were probably spoilt by the quality of reporting from Derek Henderson, Neville Foulger, Roger Draper and others. The earliest Pink I have is from 1964 when we beat Colchester 1-0 for the 3rd Division title, and the match report was written by Nemo (Derek Henderson).

ccfchoi87

lets make our own pink

sbt posters write article and nick pays for publishing

job done

There's that online news website that was advertised on here by someone. They were looking for writers so could easily be used as an alternative to the telegraph seen as they basically print stories that we've all seen somewhere before. Was it called Coventry today or something like that?

covcity4life

There's that online news website that was advertised on here by someone. They were looking for writers so could easily be used as an alternative to the telegraph seen as they basically print stories that we've all seen somewhere before. Was it called Coventry today or something like that?

oh yeah.

i wouldnt mind doing that if didnt have to give real name

Calista

Glad I’m not the only nostalgic one.

Printing within the hour wasn’t always foolproof mind you – I remember in the early 70’s a match report on the front page said something like “ … and in the 56th minute, David Cross hooked a shit just over the bar” :)

Gosford Green

I'd give it a go too. It was always the focal point for news about the City, Cov Rugger, Nuneaton Boro, Bedworth, AP Brakes etc, Sunday league footy, Bees speedway and plenty more. As Calista said, articles were written factually and we were probably spoilt by the quality of reporting from Derek Henderson, Neville Foulger, Roger Draper and others. The earliest Pink I have is from 1964 when we beat Colchester 1-0 for the 3rd Division title, and the match report was written by Nemo (Derek Henderson).

I was saying this the other day, I also miss looking forward to the Monday CT or CET as it was then with the extensive City coverage. The quality of journalism was of the highest standard as well.

Worst winter for 50 years.
Coventry to take hundreds more refugees, how will it affect your house price?

We have come a long way.......

clint van damme

I used to have a Pink round. Used always have a load left over which I'd sell in the bar of the Albany pub!

Ranjit Bhurpa

I used to have a Pink round. Used always have a load left over which I'd sell in the bar of the Albany pub!
We didn't have the luxury of being on a Pink round. Had to wait in a queue outside the newsagents until the van turned up and then a mad scramble to make sure you got a copy. Talk about hot off the press, the poor old newsagent Bill Sutton couldn't get the string cut quick enough.

Terry Gibson's perm

Sometimes the pink would be the first point of information for an away game if I had been out and not had the radio on but then we got a tv with ceefax.

clint van damme

remember the fella selling them at the station, first stop after piling off the train after an away game if it was fairly local he'd be there. Used to see him at the game sometimes as well, black lad, think he was from Cheylesmore.

Mad to think that unless someone had a little tranny radio or was stood close to someone who did you wouldn't know any scores until you got hold of the pink.
Now everyone's on there phones, monitoring dream teams and cashing out bets!

Nick

Administrator
That's when staying up to watch the goals was exciting. Now you can see them by 6 or 7 online, you just watch your teams and job done.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

At end of the 80's early 90's before I could drive I had to catch the bus to City games, My last bus on a Saturday afternoon was 5.35 from Pool Meadow, I used to get a copy of the Pink before catching the bus home, on a few occasions I used to get the bus driver to shout over at the telegraph salesman on the corner by the old Fire Station, if the bus was stopped at the lights, if the print was running late.

trevelfarandwide

Maybe you could use the pen name King Tony? Nobody would ever know :happy:

Mine is definitely Eugene Aloitious Barracuda the third, been itching to use that nom-de-plume for years.

As for the Pink, I too have fond memories of it, even at 17 I used to read up my nan's on a sunday after a roast dinner, lovely. I've still got the issue from 1997, our Great Escape at Tottenham, it's in a plastic seal bag in the attic, where the children of doom cannot tear it's lovely pink pages. :)

christonabike

remember the fella selling them at the station, first stop after piling off the train after an away game if it was fairly local he'd be there. Used to see him at the game sometimes as well, black lad, think he was from Cheylesmore.

Mad to think that unless someone had a little tranny radio or was stood close to someone who did you wouldn't know any scores until you got hold of the pink.
Now everyone's on there phones, monitoring dream teams and cashing out bets!
The coloured lad was "Morris" he had learning difficulties and went to a a special care centre every weekday. He was always at Highfield Rd in the cut away section between the mainstand and the West terrace. He used to pop in the Open arms selling a few left over ones bless him. He always got a free pint!
Used to go to the Blackhorse in Spon End after the games when we were in Highfield Rd and the newsagent across the road used to come in and sell them to us but the uptake was never any good when we got beat lol.

Hobo

It's the industry, the way it has gone and the demise of quality local newspapers is a great shame.

Godiva

If they could just get things factually correct on CCFC it would be a welcome start.

In 'the old days' there were 'reporters' and 'journalists'. Reporters did just that - reported what had happened in an unbiased fashion, while journalists dug a bit deeper into more complicated stories but still presented their findings unbiased. Independence was like an honor code back then.
Each paper then had an 'editorial' that contained a biased and opinionated article.

Now most articles are biased and opinionated. There's no pride in independence any more. Blogging is the new black.

That said there is still a set code of ethics for journalists out there.
Look here SPJ Code of Ethics | Society of Professional Journalists | Improving and protecting journalism since 1909, only it's very hard to associate most articles written about the club the past few years with any of the listed principles.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Mine is definitely Eugene Aloitious Barracuda the third, been itching to use that nom-de-plume for years.

As for the Pink, I too have fond memories of it, even at 17 I used to read up my nan's on a sunday after a roast dinner, lovely. I've still got the issue from 1997, our Great Escape at Tottenham, it's in a plastic seal bag in the attic, where the children of doom cannot tear it's lovely pink pages. :)
Right then Eugene, can we put you down for the centre spread on all CCFC news and inside information from the previous 7 days? Shouldn't be too difficult, just need to copy and paste from SBT and you'll have more than enough copy. Maybe we could get King Tony covering the Manager's press conferences (one up on the CT) and persuade SW88 to do the match reports? Perhaps Godiva for Editor? Clint looking after distribution from the Albany? Could be onto a winner here.

nmp2327

Back page today all about bloody Sutton Utd, CET why, do you not think we have heard enough about that damn team without you plastering it over your back page

skyblueinBaku

We didn't have the luxury of being on a Pink round. Had to wait in a queue outside the newsagents until the van turned up and then a mad scramble to make sure you got a copy. Talk about hot off the press, the poor old newsagent Bill Sutton couldn't get the string cut quick enough.
Billy Sutton was a school mate of mine. He was a bloody good cycle speedway rider.

dutchman

Used to go to the Blackhorse in Spon End after the games when we were in Highfield Rd and the newsagent across the road used to come in and sell them to us but the uptake was never any good when we got beat lol.

"Preedy". Lucky you! I had to trek to the all the way to Preedy's from Hearsall Lane as it was the only newsagents open in the area at that time.

chiefdave

Press Gazette said:
Trinity Mirror has announced 78 redundancies across its network of regional newspapers today as it creates new subbing hubs in an extensive restructure of its operations.

There will be a net loss of 34 jobs as the publisher is also set to create 44 new roles, including 17 video and digital production posts, which affected staff can apply for.

A spokesperson for Trinity Mirror said there would be about a dozen production hubs created under the restructure. They added that 35 existing vacancies within the company “will no longer be recruited for” while an additional 19 roles would be.

They said the move follows an internal review that identified “opportunities for greater investment, particularly around digital and content creation, as we look to increase engagement and connect with digital audiences on a larger scale”.

They added: “The company is proposing to introduce regional print production teams; sharing resource and best practice to improve efficiency

Users who are viewing this thread