Coventry Pub Reviews (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

I can just imagine Willie Stanley and his mates, stood at the bar of the Aylesford, talking about forming a team.
"What shall we call ourselves?"
"Coventry United?"
"Coventry Rovers?"
"How about Coventry City FC?"
"Nah! None of them. Let's call ourselves something that everyone will remember forever! Singers FC!"

they were going to call us Singers united FC allegedly

however they thought this would be shortened to Si's U which they thought made them sound like a bunch of wankers

Sbmacca

In light of this...went looking round town on bank holiday monday to see if there were any 'decent' boozers left in the centre which we wouldnt normally frequent...pint in each...

Grapes (looks muggy but nice inside. Irish stuff clamed initial worry)
Gatehouse tavern (decent rugby boozer)
Artisan (posh)
Town crier (not bad.bit dull and spoons looking. Quiet)
Litten tree (full of retired and deranged folk)
Dog (done up and with giod nights on)
Impulse x2 (bonkers. Rammed. Danced with the mentalists. Dj told us to not take the piss and felt obliged to leave)
tudor rose (empty. But alright)
Diplomat (sound enough)
The jag (irish crowd...sat out the back having a fag with GG...apparanetly a known landlord in town my mum says. Irish fella owned mcguigans etc)
Shakespeare (not great. Dive)
Windmill (good for ale folk)
brittania hotel ( off the head. Rammed with old people. Pretty fancy and not expected at all)

W5COV

Used to drink in the Bull & Anchor. The Legion at Ash Green. The Royal Oak. Then off to the Railway & Market Tavern in Bedrock, or off to Nuneaton. Followed by working the closing shift in Madisons. Great days :)

Those were the days pal! It was Ash Green Club not the legion! How you keeping?

Bedworth pubs were:

Alties
British Queen
Engine
Corner Pin
Tavern (upstairs and down!)
Mount
The Swan

Nuneaton pubs

Punch & Judy
Bilberries
George Eliot
Yates
Pen & Wig
Madison (when it was decent!)

Cov pubs

Tally Ho
City Arms
Golden Cross
Newt & Cucumber
Dog & Trumpet
Bug
Tuns
Chatterways
Penny Black
Silver Sword
The Jag
Yates
Varsity
Oak
Market Tavern (great pub!)
Smithfield
Nobby's Place (down the burgess?)
Hollyhead
The Lighthouse
Pub opposite the parsons nose on the way up to the pink parrot?
Red Lion (near the hospital)
Pub behind the Belgrade (tiny place!)?
Pub down the burgess opposite McDonalds?

Mr G's / Crazy Daises / Parrot / Bedrock / Irish Centre / Reflections /

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
In light of this...went looking round town on bank holiday monday to see if there were any 'decent' boozers left in the centre which we wouldnt normally frequent...pint in each...

Grapes (looks muggy but nice inside. Irish stuff clamed initial worry)
Gatehouse tavern (decent rugby boozer)
Artisan (posh)
Town crier (not bad.bit dull and spoons looking. Quiet)
Litten tree (full of retired and deranged folk)
Dog (done up and with giod nights on)
Impulse x2 (bonkers. Rammed. Danced with the mentalists. Dj told us to not take the piss and felt obliged to leave)
tudor rose (empty. But alright)
Diplomat (sound enough)
The jag (irish crowd...sat out the back having a fag with GG...apparanetly a known landlord in town my mum says. Irish fella owned mcguigans etc)
Shakespeare (not great. Dive)
Windmill (good for ale folk)
brittania hotel ( off the head. Rammed with old people. Pretty fancy and not expected at all)

Sounds like a good day's pub crawl!

ajsccfc

I've never braved Tudor Rose. On a Saturday night it always looks like the worst of humanity has descended upon it.

lordsummerisle

Sounds like a good day's pub crawl!

About the only times I check in on Facebook are when i'm on a pub-crawl, so i have some idea how many I had the next day, apart from a pocketfull of change as a guide.

However getting too pissed later on to check in on Facebook makes it a bit redundant really.

Sbmacca

I've never braved Tudor Rose. On a Saturday night it always looks like the worst of humanity has descended upon it.

my missus, for whatever reason always goes their on nights out. They have a DJ who automatically plays warren G regulate for them upon entering...classy type my bird...

was hoping to feel more intimidated by the towns establishments. Those days appear to be gone. All pretty friendly.

Someone mentioned stoke pubs earlier.
Biggin Hall - nice enough. Go in quite a bit. old men kicking about, can get busy, but often quiet, decent pint. cheaper now with new gaffer.

Bulls Head - new fellas took over a couple of years ago and barred a lot of people. Pretty much just an eating place now. usual suspects at the bar most days of the week. missus tells me not like it was 10 years ago (rammed sunday night with dj?) or even a couple of years ago when football was on. no sports anymore. everyone up the crown?

new inn - if lock ins with cans of red stripe, kicking off with people in the raj, bit of trouble is your thing then get round the inn. not bad though, just not great.

W5COV

Growing up in Cov but living in Bedworth from 18 I have a lot of memories!

Bedworth:

Alties
British Queen
Engine
Tavern (upstairs and down!)
Corner Pin
Swan
Mount

Nuneaton

Bilberries
George
Pen & Wig
Punch & Judy
Yates

Madisons and whats now the Wing Wah had several names? And the Crazy Horse (bonking donkey!)

Cov

Silver Sword
Tally Ho
The Jag
Smithfield
Chatterways
Three Tuns
The Bug
Market Tavern (upstairs!)
Newt & Cucumber
Nobby's Place (burges)?
Yates
Varsity
Lloyds
Courtyard
Dog & Trumpet
Penny Black
Golden Cross

Pink Parrot, Mr G's, Irish Centre, Reflections, Crazy Daisies!

Smouch1975 - It was Ash Green Club, not the legion...good days pal!

intercity

I can just imagine Willie Stanley and his mates, stood at the bar of the Aylesford, talking about forming a team.
"What shall we call ourselves?"
"Coventry United?"
"Coventry Rovers?"
"How about Coventry City FC?"
"Nah! None of them. Let's call ourselves something that everyone will remember forever! Singers FC!"

imagine what them lads would think about the state we are in today

Houchens Head

Used to get some great lock-ins at the Old Dyers in Spon End! Had a few good nights with Finbar Furey and the boys!

J

Jack Griffin

Can anyone remember the name of the tiny pub that used to be on the London Road just before the junction with Chace Avenue?
Not much bigger than a living room. Demolished in early 70's I think. On left hand side of road as you were leaving town.

Are you sure Jack - I used to go past there regularly in those day, but cannot ever remember a pub there.

Edit - could it have been a social club?

After a good nights sleep & no longer beer influenced, I've realised the tiny pub was a little further out of town & close to London Rd & St James Lane junction (not Chace Avenue), below a Google st view of where it stood, the Marina Fish Bar is just ahead on the corner. There were definitely buildings there the one nearest the junction a cottage, & the tiny pub was one or 2 properties further from the junction just left of where that silver car is, I only ever went in it a few times. Where it stood is all trees now..
old-pu11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

After a good nights sleep & no longer beer influenced, I've realised the tiny pub was a little further out of town & close to London Rd & St James Lane junction (not Chace Avenue), below a Google st view of where it stood, the Marina Fish Bar is just ahead on the corner. There were definitely buildings there the one nearest the junction a cottage, & the tiny pub was one or 2 properties further from the junction, I only ever went in it a few times. Where it stood is all trees now..
old-pu11.jpg

It was called the Yo Yo Arms.

RPHunt

It was called the Yo Yo Arms.

You obviously have a script writer helping you with this stuff, Grendel, you couldn't come up with something this witty yourself.

Jack, are you sure you are not thinking of the little bar that used to be in the Chace on the opposite side of the road, because I really cannot remember a pub in the place you are thinking of? There was a small, scruffy, spit and sawdust, bar there that was frequented by people from the hostel in Chace Avenue.

Houchens Head

Jack: Had you been on a week-end bender when you saw this pub? Or maybe you were sleep-walking? What year did you see this pub? Were people dressed in strange old-fashioned clothes? Had you been smoking oriental Woodbines? I need to know because I am 100% sure there was never a pub on this spot. :thinking about:

I was a cab driver from 1977 to 79 and there was definitely no pub, club or drinking den there then.

ExmouthNeil

My saturday route after the game was leave Highfield Road.... Head to the General Wolf(meet my dad) then to my grandma & grandad's house for tea, have a shit,shower and shave. My meet my mate's downstairs in the Jag, play pool and drink Tenant's Extra(Stop playin pool because we couldn't see the balls) head to the Windmill drink ruff cider(Brain death, as we called it) then off to the Bug & Black Bat to 'PULL'???? Then it was off to the Irish 2000 or the Pink Parrot to spend the rest of my weeks wages......

Happy days....;););)

Cheers, Neil(Lovin the pubs in Exmouth...)

Nick

Administrator
My saturday route after the game was leave Highfield Road.... Head to the General Wolf(meet my dad) then to my grandma & grandad's house for tea, have a shit,shower and shave. My meet my mate's downstairs in the Jag, play pool and drink Tenant's Extra(Stop playin pool because we couldn't see the balls) head to the Windmill drink ruff cider(Brain death, as we called it) then off to the Bug & Black Bat to 'PULL'???? Then it was off to the Irish 2000 or the Pink Parrot to spend the rest of my weeks wages......

Happy days....;););)

Cheers, Neil(Lovin the pubs in Exmouth...)

Grabbing grannies in the Irish centre??? :D

J

Jack Griffin

You obviously have a script writer helping you with this stuff, Grendel, you couldn't come up with something this witty yourself.

Jack, are you sure you are not thinking of the little bar that used to be in the Chace on the opposite side of the road, because I really cannot remember a pub in the place you are thinking of? There was a small, scruffy, spit and sawdust, bar there that was frequented by people from the hostel in Chace Avenue.

Nah, I've definitely got the correct side of road, left hand side as you head out of town.

It wasn't the bar in the Chace Hotel (on other side of road), that was posh compared to what I am remembering, wouldn't call the Chace bar exactly spit & sawdust, just a bit run down.. I went to the Chace bar on & off until the late 70's, can remember playing the Jam on Jukebox (its odd some of the detail you can remember in all the blur) ;-)

This place I remember was tiny, it was little more than a converted house with a 6-8 customer bar, probably fits the spit & sawdust description & almost definitely frequented by drunks from the chace hostel, I guess it didn't much look like a pub to someone in a vehicle, but I grew up close by in Whitley & used to walk past lots of times on my way to Willenhall Library, the Chippy on the corner or to see various friends. I remember going in there a few times between 1970 & 1974.. no one there but old blokes & in the case of me & my pals under age drinkers. After that I think it closed & later was demolished along with the cottage(s) on/near the corner. I've absolutely no idea why we went there, probably because it sold the cheapest beer..

RPHunt

Jack, there was a little bar on the side of the Chace, that fitted that description and used to be full of Paddys, from the hostel, and smoke. I remember myself and a mate being smuggled in there, when I was about 12, by his older brother and friends. It was so crowded and smoggy that nobody behind the bar could see us as we sipped our halves of cider in the corner.

Grendel

Acl told jack the pub existed. He just took their word for it. At least he's consistent.

skybluetony176

wasn't there a drinking hole by the waterworks in Whitley just off the London road. i have a very vague and very drunk memory of being in their after hours, may even have been the severn trent social club, i seem to remember going up stairs to get there.

CCFC PimpRail

Anyone else accidently wander into "Mr Yardies", which was upstairs from Mr G's...? I thought it was a bit strange that they only served Red Stripe, and were playing "Return of the Mac" on a loop. We weren't the only white people in there, just the only white blokes. I tried chatting up a bird and she seemed keen, but after about 5 minutes someone who looked like Kenny Henry but without a cheery demeanour or a neck interrupred us to ask if i'd paid.

Later on I thought I saw one of the Girls in there on Trisha, saying "she didn't do pink c*ck". And luckily I didn't become part of one of those couples who turned up on a saturday night with his newly married wife still in her wedding dress.

bigfatronssba

Whilst not Coventry, I went in The Cricketers today in Leamington. Always go past it and never been in before.

Seemed a cracking pub with a slightly eccentric city fan as the bar manager!

bigfatronssba

I think the Pool in Pool Meadow refers to the Swanswell, which is a remnant of an ancient lake.

There was a smaller lake at pool meadow, roughly where the whittle arches are now. They drained it about 200 years ago.

Its where Radford Brook and the Sherborne meet, which is still visible on Palmer Lane behind the Burges.

Steve.B50

Anyone else accidently wander into "Mr Yardies", which was upstairs from Mr G's...? I thought it was a bit strange that they only served Red Stripe, and were playing "Return of the Mac" on a loop. We weren't the only white people in there, just the only white blokes. I tried chatting up a bird and she seemed keen, but after about 5 minutes someone who looked like Kenny Henry but without a cheery demeanour or a neck interrupred us to ask if i'd paid.

Later on I thought I saw one of the Girls in there on Trisha, saying "she didn't do pink c*ck". And luckily I didn't become part of one of those couples who turned up on a saturday night with his newly married wife still in her wedding dress.

MrGs was ok, the upstairs was only open when busy, you must be talking about the Thursday Sole nights

Users who are viewing this thread