Coventry Pub Reviews (1 Viewer)

georgehudson

chestnut tree, hearsall lane - craven street, a Sky Blue place for many a year

R

RB1992

Anyone got any stories of the Wyken Pippin before it became the dross it is now? Was only a young lad before it closed and changed, but I've heard it went to the shit in its latter days.

R

RB1992

Red Lion Walsgrave

5/10 bang average, decent size garden, fairly lively on Friday & Saturday nights mind

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anyone got any stories of the Wyken Pippin before it became the dross it is now? Was only a young lad before it closed and changed, but I've heard it went to the shit in its latter days.

In happier days........

terrier78

The Cedars is always nice for a family meal.

When did that re-open?

I was never a regular there but went a couple of times as they were the only pub near me that I knew of to have ESPN. I went along to watch a football match a couple of years ago & noticed it was all boarded up. I assumed it had closed down.

LastGarrison

I used it regularly from around '97 - 2000 and the two landlords I remember were "Greengrass" and the youngish Asian chap that I've been trying to remember his name for the past day and can't. Maybe Real or Mumford (does he still post?) would remember.

They used to do pound a pint on a Sunday and it was the most putrid, evil, noxious shit I have ever had the misfortune to drink but we did religiously. Always a bit rough and saw it go off in there a few times. Started going drastically down hill after this when certain boozers in other areas of Cov got shut down and people started using it and there was always people selling gear in there.

Considering it is in the heart of Wyken it is definitely the boozer I use the least.

I was a bus driver for a number of years and before (and after that) a taxi driver. Why I mention this, is because I don't ever remember a pub or club being situated where you point out, and I knew just about EVERY pub in Cov. The nearest thing I can think of is Folly Lane Social Club (going towards town on the same side).

Folly Lane Old Boys (cracking little club, played for them and still drink in there) is further down on the right, I lived on Chace Avenue since I was 6 (44 now) I don't remember any pub there, a little further up by the marina chippy and newsagents was an old shop opposite, (The ye olde village store) I never saw open and was demolished around the 80's - the chace hotel had a bar that fronted the London Rd called Chacers, it was only one room...

Nah, I've definitely got the correct side of road, left hand side as you head out of town.

It wasn't the bar in the Chace Hotel (on other side of road), that was posh compared to what I am remembering, wouldn't call the Chace bar exactly spit & sawdust, just a bit run down.. I went to the Chace bar on & off until the late 70's, can remember playing the Jam on Jukebox (its odd some of the detail you can remember in all the blur) ;-)

This place I remember was tiny, it was little more than a converted house with a 6-8 customer bar, probably fits the spit & sawdust description & almost definitely frequented by drunks from the chace hostel, I guess it didn't much look like a pub to someone in a vehicle, but I grew up close by in Whitley & used to walk past lots of times on my way to Willenhall Library, the Chippy on the corner or to see various friends. I remember going in there a few times between 1970 & 1974.. no one there but old blokes & in the case of me & my pals under age drinkers. After that I think it closed & later was demolished along with the cottage(s) on/near the corner. I've absolutely no idea why we went there, probably because it sold the cheapest beer..

Sorry mate never any bar there that i can recall, an old shop that was demolished in the early 80's no other buildings there apart from the cottages next door that are still there now, chippy and newsagent, I lived 200 yards away on Chace Ave, for 22 years from 73.

wasn't there a drinking hole by the waterworks in Whitley just off the London road. i have a very vague and very drunk memory of being in their after hours, may even have been the severn trent social club, i seem to remember going up stairs to get there.

Yes, The Waterworks, run by Mick the place was covered in Celtic memorabilia - its now derelict...shame

I owned the Tiger Moth 2001/09) in Binley and changed the name to The Coventry Arms (to rid it of it bad name) when we moved to the Ricoh the bus (De Courseys) stopped outside my pub on match days at 1.15 because of this we would get a few City in before and after....Binley Oak? Smithfield Arms? White Bear? The Cheylesmore? The Winnal? My mum who is 76 still runs The Glade in Willenhall...

Too many pubs gone in Coventry, this is caused by the growth of the pubco's Punch, Enterprise and Admiral...its all about profit and dividends for shareholders - Thatchers Beer Orders of 1988 killed another industry...and allowing supermarkets to sell beer and the final nail the smoking ban.

Porkchophill

long gone pubsView attachment 2660View attachment 2661View attachment 2662View attachment 2663
Ring-o-bells hillfields
Acorn potters green
Smithfield hotel
Binley Hotel

Remember sitting in the binley hotel and hearing a massive crash from the other side of the room when we went to see what it was couldn't believe the sight of an old fashion wooden cased big tv that sat on a shelf high up on the wall had fell on the head of someone having a pint below it he was sparked out with the telly on his head they had to call an ambulance for him

Monners

Started using the Humber Hotel in last few years at HR. Good Guiness, friendly service and top all day breakfast.

christonabike

Remember sitting in the binley hotel and hearing a massive crash from the other side of the room when we went to see what it was couldn't believe the sight of an old fashion wooden cased big tv that sat on a shelf high up on the wall had fell on the head of someone having a pint below it he was sparked out with the telly on his head they had to call an ambulance for him
FFS laughed out loud reading this!

Otis

Getting a refurb apparently. Really hope they don't go for Ben Sherman and alcopop clientele.

Edit - this apears to be on a curious board!
Yep. Spending £300,000 on it.

Going for casual dining downstairs and more of a restaurant upstairs. Will still have bands on too though.

fernandopartridge

Yep. Spending £300,000 on it.

Going for casual dining downstairs and more of a restaurant upstairs. Will still have bands on too though.

It looks as if they're using the back yard as some sort of beer garden. Didn't even realise it had a backyard.

This is the planning application:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=782530

These are the proposed new signs for outside: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=1302883

Covstu

A great pub back in the 90's but totally lost its way. It was dark and dingy but that was part of its charm!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Me & my brother did a resident disco at the GC way back in the early 70's. One evening, we were on our way to set up and drove along past the old Council House in Earl St. There was a massive explosion that rocked our mini van. We drove around through Batley Lane and up to the GC. We found out later that the IRA had planted a bomb opposite the police station by the old telephone exchange building. We unloaded the van and carried on with the disco. We'd left a few boxes of records in the van which was parked just inside Pepper Lane. I went down to collect them and the van was surrounded by the Old Bill. I was nearly arrested before I managed to explain who I was and what I was doing! Bloody scary old night that was! If anyone remembers the GC from those days, the gaffer was a bloke called Cyril and his missus was called Olive.

christonabike

Spent many an hour sat in my dads car outside the Haven pub whilst my old man had a few scoops. Late 1970s early 1980s. And the Millpool!

Ashdown

I think it's a young lass who has the license to the GC. It's owned I think by Star pubs and bars and she will only be a tennant. I looked at the feasibility of this place and what the company were offering. I wanted to buy it outright but they wouldn't sell. I wish the new people all the best as the pub has great potential but I fear that the terms of the contract will leave them to work for 100 hours per week for very low income, whilst the large company take a huge chunk back in rent and charges each year. Plus she will be tied in to their average/poor selection of drinks at their prices.

NorthernWisdom

I think it's a young lass who has the license to the GC. It's owned I think by Star pubs and bars and she will only be a tennant. I looked at the feasibility of this place and what the company were offering. I wanted to buy it outright but they wouldn't sell. I wish the new people all the best as the pub has great potential but I fear that the terms of the contract will leave them to work for 100 hours per week for very low income, whilst the large company take a huge chunk back in rent and charges each year. Plus she will be tied in to their average/poor selection of drinks at their prices.

Funny that, I always thought of all the pubs in Coventry it was the one best suited to taking overand building up. Not my type of thing to do but boy, if ever there's somewhere I felt somebody *could* make their living turning round...

I always thought given its location it was ideally set up for middlebrow real ale pub serving good quality pub grub for the tourists. When it started going downhill they had plans to turn it into the type of place frequented by lads in their 20s downing spirits and on the pull. Now that has its place (we've all been there!) but given the building and where it is, seemed madness to have it like a Yates's substitute.

Can only hope for the best now!

fernandopartridge

Yes, the failed PubCo model. Though there has been a recent change of law which outlaws some of their worst practices (the Tories have set up an industry regulatory body staffed by a former PubCo bod!)

Covstu

A friend of mine had the license back in the 90's, she was about 25ish!

Ashdown

Funny that, I always thought of all the pubs in Coventry it was the one best suited to taking overand building up. Not my type of thing to do but boy, if ever there's somewhere I felt somebody *could* make their living turning round...

I always thought given its location it was ideally set up for middlebrow real ale pub serving good quality pub grub for the tourists. When it started going downhill they had plans to turn it into the type of place frequented by lads in their 20s downing spirits and on the pull. Now that has its place (we've all been there!) but given the building and where it is, seemed madness to have it like a Yates's substitute.

Can only hope for the best now!
Yes you are about spot on. I planned to lighten it up a bit décor wise inside with a more rustic/shabby chic type feel, with craft ales, wines and ciders and only quality lagers or wheat beers. All complimented by bistro type food and coffee aimed at the tourists/shoppers/ and more affluent students and locals with lots of greenery and geraniums etc outside for the summer months. It's in a great spot now with a few places all complimenting each other.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yes you are about spot on. I planned to lighten it up a bit décor wise inside with a more rustic/shabby chic type feel, with craft ales, wines and ciders and only quality lagers or wheat beers. All complimented by bistro type food and coffee aimed at the tourists/shoppers/ and more affluent students and locals with lots of greenery and geraniums etc outside for the summer months. It's in a great spot now with a few places all complimenting each other.
That whole area could be a goldmine

Users who are viewing this thread