Coventry Telgraph gaffes - take 582 - 'thoughtful, studios' (1 Viewer)

Pete in Portugal

I know it was Friday afternoon, but................................

"I played with Adi at Walsall and then he went on to coach at a top level with Chelsea, spending nine years there winning various competitions.

"He's thoughtful, studios, understands the game and will command respect from where he has been."

'He's in decent spirits:' Robins on Taylor

chiefdave

Apart from the mistakes some of the language they use is strange so supposedly professional journalists.

Also liked that today we had 'Summer is Over! Coventry set for MONTHS of colder weather' followed a couple of hours later by 'Temperatures set to soar over bank holiday'.

Not forgetting the top stores that 2 episodes of Corrie won't be on next week and the bank holiday opening times for M&S,

Nick

Administrator
Apart from the mistakes some of the language they use is strange so supposedly professional journalists.

Also liked that today we had 'Summer is Over! Coventry set for MONTHS of colder weather' followed a couple of hours later by 'Temperatures set to soar over bank holiday'.

Not forgetting the top stores that 2 episodes of Corrie won't be on next week and the bank holiday opening times for M&S,
Words like a man gets battered rather than assaulted

Gazolba

Just as we have driverless cars coming, soon all newspapers will be journalistless. Stories will be created by computers. It may already be happening.

Wolves_SkyBlue

Lazy use of spellcheckers (usually set to US spelling too!)

Incidentally computers are now being used in the US for reporting sports results in their various lower, regional leagues. Just snippets with the score and a few facts, "equalised in the 87 min", "first away win since ...."

shmmeee

Just as we have driverless cars coming, soon all newspapers will be journalistless. Stories will be created by computers. It may already be happening.

Financial stories already are and some sport stories.

I think local news will disappear, sadly because they’re supposed to hold local politicians/businesses to account. We may rip into the Observer and the Telegraph, but without them we wouldn’t have got reports from inside the JR courtroom and there wouldn’t have been as much pressure on Sisu or the council.

Unless Nick, the NiiLampteyShow and TLS are gonna step up their investigative journalism I don’t thunk we should be celebrating their decline just yet.

AlansEyes

The summer will be followed by months of colder weather? That's a hell of an exclusive. Now if only there were names for these 'seasons' of colder weather.

AlansEyes

Unfortunately, errors will only become more commonplace as newspaper teams are cut and journalists become content editors. The days of journalists finding stories, reporting and writing are over. Now, the above has been diluted with becoming videographers, photographers, picture and video editors, sub editors, web editors, social media editors. Basically, increasing workloads and removing the safety net of having someone else there to actually proof read web content means that mistakes will creep in.

Also, in the past web content would basically just be an online version of what was in the paper, so everything would have been sub edited and proofed as part of putting the paper together. Now, there needs to be x number of online stories everyday and everything has to be put out there as quickly as possible so they can move onto repeatedly plugging the story on social media.

duffer

Financial stories already are and some sport stories.

I think local news will disappear, sadly because they’re supposed to hold local politicians/businesses to account. We may rip into the Observer and the Telegraph, but without them we wouldn’t have got reports from inside the JR courtroom and there wouldn’t have been as much pressure on Sisu or the council.

Unless Nick, the NiiLampteyShow and TLS are gonna step up their investigative journalism I don’t thunk we should be celebrating their decline just yet.

That's spot on. I hate what the CET has become, but now that no one wants to pay for their news then to some degree it's inevitable, and unhealthy.

They don't help themselves with their shockingly poor and hugely intrusive design style though. The Observer, which I think manages with much less content, is a much clearer, calmer site.

If I had one piece of advice for the CET it would be to abandon the race to the bottom with clickbait, and stop continually trying to make three stories out of one. OK, that's two pieces of advice.

Also, it's a local paper for, y'know, local people. If I want national news I'll go to the BBC; for alarmism, casual racism and everday sexism I'd recommend the Daily Mail. :)

Users who are viewing this thread