Coventry United (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

The whole thing comes off as an ego trip to me. There was no need to start a new club up, if they were that interested in local football why not put money into Sphinx?

Pipehitterz

they bought a team from westwood heath in the bottom division and made it into cov utd
the very bottom league, imo they did it the absolute correct way

J

Jack Griffin

They tried to use our situation to their own advantage.

That is bollocks, like me the guys who own Coventry Utd got thoroughly fed up of SISU's antics and have done their own thing and backed grass roots soccer in the City, they are miles away from being any sort of direct challenger to Coventry City, they started in tier 12 and have done things consistently right.

I find your petty hatred of a real Coventry success story to be rather odious.

Hadji10

For the wages they pay they should have pissed the league. I know a couple of lads who play for them and if they wanted to they wouldn't have to have another job. Some of the lads there are on 200 quid a game. Joke.

chiefdave

did they?
How do you know that? I've never heard a thing about enticing Fans.

Four businessmen who are Coventry City fans have formed Coventry United Football Club. in protest at Sisu Capital’s running of Coventry City Football Club.

“A lot of supporters don’t want to go outside of Coventry and I wanted to do something about it. I thought I’d spend my money on a club within the city.”

And he said United could eventually be similar to that of AFC Wimbledon, which launched after the original club was moved from London to Milton Keynes.

He has already bought the rights to AFCCoventry.com – in case the club decides to go down that route.

United will play in red shirts but the club have not ruled out a future switch to the famous Sky Blue.

J

Jack Griffin

For the wages they pay they should have pissed the league. I know a couple of lads who play for them and if they wanted to they wouldn't have to have another job. Some of the lads there are on 200 quid a game. Joke.

I knew there were some fees being paid, didn't realise it was on that level! I did understand that the owners are very ambitious and want to keep on getting promotions.

I say good luck to them, it puts a rocket up the local non-league scene. I wonder if they are staying at Sphinx Drive long, I don't think it can support 2 clubs for too long, I believe they are looking for their own site & who knows may yet move into the Butts.

They also run their own academy with 200+ kids playing, http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-united-launch-football-academy-10698287

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefdave

they bought a team from westwood heath in the bottom division and made it into cov utd
the very bottom league, imo they did it the absolute correct way

That makes it even worse! Why not invest in the existing team rather than rebrand it?

Pipehitterz

I knew there were some fees being paid, didn't realise it was on that level! I did understand that the owners are very ambitious and want to keep on getting promotions.

I say good luck to them, it puts a rocket up the local non-league scene. I wonder if they are staying at Sphinx Drive long, I don't think it can support 2 clubs for too long, I believe they are looking for their own site & who knows may yet move into the Butts.

They also run their own academy with 200+ kids playing, http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-united-launch-football-academy-10698287
theyre moving to masseys all new ground when it becomes available sometime next season

Pipehitterz

thats a very early cct soundbite, knowing them as i do i can say hand on heart that it was only a sisu fall out that started the team up, the ownwers are proper football lads, 2 are regular england awayers,

Greggs

thats a very early cct soundbite, knowing them as i do i can say hand on heart that it was only a sisu fall out that started the team up, the ownwers are proper football lads, 2 are regular england awayers,

And Manchester United fans

Sick Boy

That is bollocks, like me the guys who own Coventry Utd got thoroughly fed up of SISU's antics and have done their own thing and backed grass roots soccer in the City, they are miles away from being any sort of direct challenger to Coventry City, they started in tier 12 and have done things consistently right.

I find your petty hatred of a real Coventry success story to be rather odious.

Haha you are an utter moron.

M&B Stand

Someone told me that Josh Blake was on more at Cov Utd than he was a leamington which is a bit surprising, no idea how true it is and don't know the lad. They will need to recruit again if they are gonna challenge next season.

Hadji10

Someone told me that Josh Blake was on more at Cov Utd than he was a leamington which is a bit surprising, no idea how true it is and don't know the lad. They will need to recruit again if they are gonna challenge next season.

They'll need to because that step up to Sphnix's level is a big one.

J

Jack Griffin

They'll need to because that step up to Sphnix's level is a big one.

ISTR exactly the same comment was made last season when they won the league below. :thinking about:

Rubbish. My mate manages Bolehall Swifts in the league above, no chance Cov Utd will walk that division, as you move up the ladder, the standard quickly gets much better. Anyone thinking they'll Storm up to conference level is very naive.
Cov Sphinx would destroy them, the standard is far better.

M&B Stand

ISTR exactly the same comment was made last season when they won the league below. :thinking about:

I said fair play to them, I didn't know how much they were supposedly paying players and they didn't exactly walk it, Griff and Bromsgrove were pretty close until the last 2 weeks.
Like I said, it's still a decent achievement.
Be interesting to see how they get on in the FA Cup and Vase next season, maybe they'll keep proving people wrong...

J

Jack Griffin

I said fair play to them, I didn't know how much they were supposedly paying players and they didn't exactly walk it, Griff and Bromsgrove were pretty close until the last 2 weeks.
Like I said, it's still a decent achievement.
Be interesting to see how they get on in the FA Cup and Vase next season, maybe they'll keep proving people wrong...

TBH I think even they find the situation pretty incredible and they're bound to have a stutter sooner or later.

However I think the Coventry can support a club at National League level as well as City in the League (hopefully better than League One) and it would not be detrimental to CCFC, if anything it would force them to up their game.

stupot07

A bunch of opportunists with their "protest" club. Bought the rights for "AFC Coventry" just in case, how arrogant can you get.

Typical Coventry though, would rather support a new franchise team than one thats been in existence in the city for over half a century.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

I don't know much about Coventry United but I'm all for a second team in the city, whether a good non-league side we can occasionally see in the FA Cup or even a side challenging for league status in the Conference (or whatever it is called these days). Most large cities in the UK have two or more teams.

Hadji10

Yes Tommy. Like many others have said, why didn't they just invest the money in Sphinx? They used our situation for the benefit of themselves which is wrong IMO

Gazolba

Yes Tommy. Like many others have said, why didn't they just invest the money in Sphinx? They used our situation for the benefit of themselves which is wrong IMO

Sphinx have been around for decades, have no ambition and are going nowhere. I used to go and watch Sphinx play in the CET Cup Final back in the 60's. They have barely progressed in all that time.

J

Jack Griffin

Is that actually a serious comment?

ccfctommy

I think Cov United have the money to progress as a club at least for the short term, Sphinx on the other hand can sustain where they are now, but I seem to recall they had to turn down promotion to the Southern League a few years ago as they had to upgrade their ground.

chiefdave

However I think the Coventry can support a club at National League level as well as City in the League (hopefully better than League One) and it would not be detrimental to CCFC, if anything it would force them to up their game.

I don't know much about Coventry United but I'm all for a second team in the city, whether a good non-league side we can occasionally see in the FA Cup or even a side challenging for league status in the Conference (or whatever it is called these days). Most large cities in the UK have two or more teams.

If they wanted to pump money into someone put it into Sphinx. You say they have no ambition but how much of that is to do with resources. Did the chaps putting money into United even bother to have that conversation before starting their own team?

Users who are viewing this thread