Coventry United (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

Never really considered this as an option but a few of us are starting to think that way as the way it is going they will be overtaking us in a few years -

hill83

1Vo5jkL.gif

letsallsingtogether

Never really considered this as an option but a few of us are starting to think that way as the way it is going they will be overtaking us in a few years -
But they wear Red what a shit colour

Generally Midfield

Might be totally wrong but someone told me that the Cov Utd owners started out by buying out another club, renamed it Cov Utd and relocated it to Cov. Anyone know if that's true?

Calista

Hill, although we are adrift in an open boat on this ocean of despair, you sometimes make me laugh out loud. It’s like one of the wreck survivors has salvaged a cassette player and is playing the Benny Hill music. Thanks for cheering me up.

Nick

Administrator
Hill, although we are adrift in an open boat on this ocean of despair, you sometimes make me laugh out loud. It’s like one of the wreck survivors has salvaged a cassette player and is playing the Benny Hill music. Thanks for cheering me up.

I reckon he should be in charge of the scoreboard at games doing a commentary of the games via Gif.

Gazolba

I for one thinks its great that we have a couple of non-league clubs (Cov Sphinx and Cov United).
No-one is saying you have to support them over CCFC but if they reached the final of the FA Vase and got to Wembley, wouldn't you cheer them on?
But they wear Red what a shit colour
They play in a red and green strip, which are Coventry's civic colours.

Hadji10

How you can hammer Sisu but support Cov United is beyond me.

Support Sphinx or Copsewood if anything.

Gazolba

How you can hammer Sisu but support Cov United is beyond me.

<snip>
What do Coventry United have in common with SISU? Nothing! SISU are a hedge fund based in the Cayman Islands. Coventry United are a local club formed by Coventry supporters and the home of Coventry Ladies team.

Hadji10

What do Coventry United have in common with SISU? Nothing! SISU are a hedge fund based in the Cayman Islands. Coventry United are a local club formed by Coventry supporters and the home of Coventry Ladies team.

They could have used their money to fund other local clubs, but they wanted the publicity of a new club off the back of us going to Northampton.

Generally Midfield

AFC Wimbledon started out in much the same way and look where they are now.

think the point is Utd and AFC Wimbledon are actually very different approaches. AFC Wimbledon started from scratch and is fan led and fan owned. Cov Utd didn't start from scratch - they bought out another team and renamed it - and are owned by four businessmen rather than fan led and owned. Not saying either is right or wrong but they are 2 different approaches.

Covboy84

They played at Westwood heath sports centre that might be where they got Westwood from

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

It was cov Spartans, I played for them when they got took over carried on for one season

Just out of curiosity, did you leave due to a change of culture within the club?
Did they throw money at it & replace you with "better" or, as I'm guessing you were born in 84, was it about time to hang up yer boots anyhow?

Covboy84

I actually left due to at the time they had 2 teams and dropped a lot to the 2nd team when they came in and never actually promoting any of the reserves no matter how they played at the time, it seems things have changed. We ended up paying £5 a game when the first team never paid a thing, and they were actually getting paid. I ended up going to play for cov amateurs who were named cov sporting before hand.

Covboy84

Just the sheer distance they made the first team keep away from the 2nd team did it for me. Just didn't feel like 1 club but 2.

Generally Midfield

Thanks Covboy84 for explaining all this. I didn't understand the background at all but it now seems clear CU are Spartans and it's definitely not a fan led/owned club started from scratch.

Covboy84

No they had the initial set up there, they just came in and took it on and basically in my view paid players to leave their current clubs to play for them

Covboy84

I heard one of the players was on £300 a game last season but can't say for sure how true that was as I know some players that were playing regularly and getting a lot of praise were only getting £20 a game still not bad for a hobby as not professional

Users who are viewing this thread