Match Thread Coventry v Bolton Match Thread - Monday 2nd Jan (1 Viewer)

1966skyblue

Not for a moment defending the use of whistles in the manner used. But I actually made an effort to go the match and I can tell you that you and the other one or two peeps moaning about this on the radio are absolutely, 100% wrong. Lamerias was caught out by a miss-hit by Bolton's 22 (Ameobi), and which was meant to go to the midfield flank but instead went square outside the box, completely bypassing Lamerias and catching him out. Thereafter, 3 City players were wedded to the spot when the ball landed to the Bolton scorer.

I get that some people aren't happy with the protest against Sheffield and that carrying the whistles over in the manner in which they were used today is pointless and a bit stupid. But the protesters are not to blame for the goal. No need to do Fisher's work here. please.
I phoned in an
Not for a moment defending the use of whistles in the manner used. But I actually made an effort to go the match and I can tell you that you and the other one or two peeps moaning about this on the radio are absolutely, 100% wrong. Lamerias was caught out by a miss-hit by Bolton's 22 (Ameobi), and which was meant to go to the midfield flank but instead went square outside the box, completely bypassing Lamerias and catching him out. Thereafter, 3 City players were wedded to the spot when the ball landed to the Bolton scorer.

I get that some people aren't happy with the protest against Sheffield and that carrying the whistles over in the manner in which they were used today is pointless and a bit stupid. But the protesters are not to blame for the goal. No need to do Fisher's work here. please.
I was at the match and phoned in. Reilly and Lameiras both stopped on the whistle. At least 1 of them would have been able to put more pressure on the cross. The only side the whistle could possibly affect at that time is the defending team, so bloody stupid really.

Stevenson instead of Lameiras as sub and we would have closed out the game.

chiefdave

Lots of positives to take from today. Much better performance. They seemed more organised and like they knew wha they were supposed to be doing. Hopefully now Slade has a week to work with them he'll be able to start sorting the details out.

Nathan Clarke was organising the defence right from the start, we've needed that. Again as they get to know each other that can only improve. I'd have no problem with him being made captain and, assuming he stays, Willis being left to concentrate on his own game.

Couldn't really tell if it was a pen or not although he did seem to go down very easily and dramatically. Ref was terrible again. The way our players were being held and pushed around with nothing being given was just odd when the slightest push on one of theirs and he blew up.

Our third looked very close to me, will be interested to see a replay of that.

You would not have guessed the two teams were at opposite ends of the table from todays performance. 2 good points, shame it was so close to 6, but lots to build on and some winnable games coming up.

Calista

Just got back, haven’t read the thread, but just to say that I enjoyed the way we played today. Not exactly pretty a lot of the time, but massive effort from every player. The sort of committed performance that actually had me looking forward to going again, for the first time in ages.

Especially pleased with Reilly, who would be great to sign permanently on this showing.

Paul Anthony

You would not have guessed the two teams were at opposite ends of the table from todays performance. 2 good points, shame it was so close to 6, but lots to build on and some winnable games coming up.

I think if you'd said to most City fans that we'll get 2 points out of Peterborough and Bolton most would have take it. It is such a shame that it could have been 6 though. That we've been in position to have had 6 points is encouraging in itself. There have been some real positives from these last 2 games, something we've not had a lot of lately. Is that the corner being turned? Let's hope so!

stupot07

Given the context of where we are and the dross thats been served up this season.

Burge 7
Sterry 7
Clarke 8
Turnbull 7
Haynes 6
Rose 7
Reilly 7
Thomas 7.5
Tudguy 7
Reid 7
Beavon 8.5 MOTM

Subs
Lamieres 5
Bigi 5

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Lamieres 5
Lameries always seems to me the exact opposite of the sort of player you want to bring on when you're trying to tighten up a game and see it out.
Anyone know why the Ricoh match day ticket office wasn't being used? You had to get your tickets from the Hospitality counter.
ACL were using the ticket office to store all the pies they're refusing to sell in corporate.

D

Deleted member 4439

Surely there must be a concern on these forums about the possibility of a pies-on-the-pitch-protest: could well stop Slade doing those touch-line jinks.

Grendel

Slade has made a real positive impact but the only puzzling thing was his subs.

Neither are remotely capable at defending the flanks so it was very strange.

Still with a fit stokes and a couple of decent loan options up front and a midfielder we look ok.

Haynes and Rose were poor but everyone else who started did well.

Grendel

Anyone know why the Ricoh match day ticket office wasn't being used? You had to get your tickets from the Hospitality counter.

As it was New Year's Day bank holiday wasps banned it's use

Johnnythespider

Given the context of where we are and the dross thats been served up this season.

Burge 7
Sterry 7
Clarke 8
Turnbull 7
Haynes 6
Rose 7
Reilly 7
Thomas 7.5
Tudguy 7
Reid 7
Beavon 8.5 MOTM

Subs
Lamieres 5
Bigi 5

Agree with most of that but I think it's a bit harsh on Haynes who made up for the penalty with the run and assist for beavon's goal and I would give Thomas an 8, his best game for us so far.

lifeskyblue

Slade has made a real positive impact but the only puzzling thing was his subs.

Neither are remotely capable at defending the flanks so it was very strange.

Still with a fit stokes and a couple of decent loan options up front and a midfielder we look ok.

Haynes and Rose were poor but everyone else who started did well.

I too was surprised by the substitutions...I wouldn't have used lameiries today. And his run at end he should have gone to corner rather than try a drag back.
I agree re rose...he looked lost at times today. But I disagree re Haynes...he wasn't our best player but not our worst either. He did ok re ameobi even though Bolton used ameobi as an outlet esp in first half.
What was disappointing for me towards the end was dropping and staying deep...too deep allowing Bolton possession and space in the middle of the park.

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Thomas is a lot better now he isn't as stocky like he was at the start of the season

Otis

I too was surprised by the substitutions...I wouldn't have used lameiries today. And his run at end he should have gone to corner rather than try a drag back.
I agree re rose...he looked lost at times today. But I disagree re Haynes...he wasn't our best player but not our worst either. He did ok re ameobi even though Bolton used ameobi as an outlet esp in first half.
What was disappointing for me towards the end was dropping and staying deep...too deep allowing Bolton possession and space in the middle of the park.

PUSB
Yeah, I didn't think Haynes was bad. He pretty much kept Ameobi in check most of the game.

Was a 6 I reckon.

stupot07

Thomas is a lot better now he isn't as stocky like he was at the start of the season
He's very clever, his movement is exceptional.

On a side note, Slade made a comment about the needing to intensify training to get the squada fitness levels up.

Grendel

PUSB

At least Haynes channelled something worthwhile in making an assist. The reason he never plays regularly is that he is utterly incapable of remaining focused during a game. He gets lost and out of position so much it's unbelievable. One moment in the first half he ended up in central
Midfield - his pass was intercepted and went to their right and we were exposed.

He's just not capable of maintaining discipline and focus.

D

Deleted member 4439

Was impressed today by how well he held the ball under the pressure of some big guys in that Bolton team (in fact, until the subs, I thought Bolton were the most physically intimidating team we're come against this season, though not in a "dirty side" way).

Nick

Administrator
Was impressed today by how well he held the ball under the pressure of some big guys in that Bolton team (in fact, until the subs, I thought Bolton were the most physically intimidating team we're come against this season, though not in a "dirty side" way).
Yeah, but we handled it well and won a fair few free kicks from our attackers backing in

Otis

Not been impressed with Thomas previously, but really was today. He reminded me of McSheffrey. Clever on the ball, quick, good touch.

More of the same please.

Grendel

Not been impressed with Thomas, but really was today. He reminded me of McSheffrey. Clever on the ball, quick, good touch.

More of the same please.

He moves and turns like mcsheffrey in his youth but will never have the same awareness in and around goal

Hobo

I think Lamieras was brought on, not to tighten things up but as a counter attacking option and it almost worked twice.

As I said on another thread, the last two performances have seen some improvement and brought a little hope. When turning things around you don't always get what you deserve and it can be a slow job turning the corner. Let's hope with a bit more confidence and a little tweaking around tactics and formation we can start moving up the table.

lifeskyblue

At least Haynes channelled something worthwhile in making an assist. The reason he never plays regularly is that he is utterly incapable of remaining focused during a game. He gets lost and out of position so much it's unbelievable. One moment in the first half he ended up in central
Midfield - his pass was intercepted and went to their right and we were exposed.

True...when he goes forward he must be aware of what he leaves behind. Two or three times today we lost the ball in their half and Haynes was out of position and didn't get back quick enough. On the other hand his marauding run to set up our second was superb. A good attacking rather than defensive full back.

PUSB

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

Pretty sure that's why Phillips was let go.

Must say too Rose got shown up a bit today by Reilly, who looked a much better footballer. I quite like Rose, but despite his goals, he seems more of an athlete than a footballer. Hopefully they'll work out their roles in the middle.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think Lamieras was brought on, not to tighten things up but as a counter attacking option and it almost worked twice.

As I said on another thread, the last two performances have seen some improvement and brought a little hope. When turning things around you don't always get what you deserve and it can be a slow job turning the corner. Let's hope with a bit more confidence and a little tweaking around tactics and formation we can start moving up the table.
Lameiras is too slow to be effective on the counter, that's why both times he broke away he didn't really have the pace to get away from the defence and lost the ball. Jones would have probably been a better option for a counter attack option.

fernandopartridge

He's very clever, his movement is exceptional.

On a side note, Slade made a comment about the needing to intensify training to get the squada fitness levels up.

He mentioned after that he felt we were fatigued. It all feels a bit like when Robins took over from Thorn.

torchomatic

Not been impressed with Thomas previously, but really was today. He reminded me of McSheffrey. Clever on the ball, quick, good touch.

More of the same please.

I must admit my heart sank when I saw Tudgay and Thomas in the team, but they both did well. Thomas was excellent, shut me up and showed me why managers keep picking him.

covey198701

Just watched the highlights on Sky Blues Player and Thomas doesn't look offside for the disallowed goal. Maybe the camera angle but looked harsh!!

Users who are viewing this thread