Match Thread Coventry v Fleetwood Match Thread - Saturday 21st Jan (1 Viewer)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

5 games... he should of watched the Bristol rovers game. So I'd call it 4 games to judge him.
Peterborough 2pts dropped Burge glued to his line...
Bolton, 2pts dropped... whistlegate and a Thomas goal disallowed
Chesterfield should of earned a point... Tudgay goal disallowed.
Fleetwood point dropped due to our 87 min on frailties...
so should read 8 points from 4/5 games..... fine lines between success and failure.

*should* doesn't really matter in football. It doesn't read that. Slade has time to turn it round, but to suggest we should keep him on now for the next season given his start is absurd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

*should* doesn't really matter in football. It doesn't read that. Slade has time to turn it round, but to suggest we should keep him on now for the next season given his start is absurd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct... if bits and maybes mean nothing. It's just how close we were to getting something.
Next season is too early to call however at some point in this downward spiral where money is limited you need to look for stability and try to build a base of a squad.

Paxman II

We are obviously not relegated. Just saying it's now all but certainly over. Like pretty much every sane person on here. Nowt to do with pessimism.

Won 4 games all season long. Now we need 10 wins out of 19.

I am not at all a pessimist. We have had this conversation before. I would say when it comes to the City I am very much an optimist.

I am not stupid though. I can easily put the blinkers on, cover my ears and pretend what has happened isn't happening, but it is not the reality is it.

If I thought we would go out now and bring in 3 quality players I would say we have a chance, but it's not going to happen is it.

Both keepers are average. Our defence have been letting in silly goals all year and we have seriously struggled to score goals.

It is fairy tale thinking I'm afraid to say that we are suddenly going to tighten up the defence AND start scoring freely.

The top goalscorer has scored how many?

I agree with all of that Otis. So you are saying there is still hope and you remain optimistic. That's different from saying it was bleading obvious we will be relegated.

Our only hope this week in the transfer window, but I fear we need a Dennis Wise type inspirational player to turn this around and it's not going to happen is it.

I am optimistic. I am also a realist too.

7 points adrift. 4 wins all season. Ship goals, can't score goals.

But yeah, 10 wins out of 19 is definitely on for sure.
We are obviously not relegated. Just saying it's now all but certainly over. Like pretty much every sane person on here. Nowt to do with pessimism.

Won 4 games all season long. Now we need 10 wins out of 19.

I am not at all a pessimist. We have had this conversation before. I would say when it comes to the City I am very much an optimist.

I am not stupid though. I can easily put the blinkers on, cover my ears and pretend what has happened isn't happening, but it is not the reality is it.

If I thought we would go out now and bring in 3 quality players I would say we have a chance, but it's not going to happen is it.

Both keepers are average. Our defence have been letting in silly goals all year and we have seriously struggled to score goals.

It is fairy tale thinking I'm afraid to say that we are suddenly going to tighten up the defence AND start scoring freely.

The top goalscorer has scored how many?

Our only hope this week in the transfer window, but I fear we need a Dennis Wise type inspirational player to turn this around and it's not going to happen is it.

I am optimistic. I am also a realist too.

7 points adrift. 4 wins all season. Ship goals, can't score goals.

But yeah, 10 wins out of 19 is definitely on for sure.

I agree with just about all that Otis,they are good constructive comments on the team So why say we are relegated and it was obvious? You just can't have it both ways. Being a realist does not mean you can second guess the rest of the seasons outcome. Nothing wrong in your original assertion O but once you say it with such certainty and defend it then stick with it. But above here though, you already are saying "our only hope..." which is the opposite of the certainty you had expressed.
All I'm saying is no one knows the future with any certainty O. I don't say either way we are going to be relegated or not but accept its a tough hole we are in and we could go down or stay up. There is no certainty yet. That's just a fact.

Otis

I agree with just about all that Otis,they are good constructive comments on the team So why say we are relegated and it was obvious? You just can't have it both ways. Being a realist does not mean you can second guess the rest of the seasons outcome. Nothing wrong in your original assertion O but once you say it with such certainty and defend it then stick with it. But above here though, you already are saying "our only hope..." which is the opposite of the certainty you had expressed.
All I'm saying is no one knows the future with any certainty O. I don't say either way we are going to be relegated or not but accept its a tough hole we are in and we could go down or stay up. There is no certainty yet. That's just a fact.
One fact is though that in the past 15 seasons the team that was bottom at this time of year DID go down and that was even before Saturday's game and our defeat and our drifting further apart from those above us.

There IS hope, but only if Slade does wonders in this final week of the transfer window.

The realist in me (all of us surely) tells me and you that with these owners we are not going to go out and splash the cash!

No amount of 'optimism' is going to make that happen.

Nick

Administrator
I'm still baffled by the game :(

Even at 1 down he kept all the centre halves back, rather than put them all up front and continue to hoof it he just kept it being hoofed to Jones.

6 Generations

Optimism has to come with the territory supporting Coventry City, otherwise none of us would bother.
We always clung on to hope rather than expectation.
The reality is this, we are 7 points adrift at the base of the 3rd Division having just been out played by 'a bus stop' near Blackpool.

Nobody had heard of Fleetwood as a football club 5 years ago.

But they are upwardly mobile and the finest of sample of having progressive, supportive owners.

Captain Dart

Optimism has to come with the territory supporting Coventry City, otherwise none of us would bother.
We always clung on to hope rather than expectation.
The reality is this, we are 7 points adrift at the base of the 3rd Division having just been out played by 'a bus stop' near Blackpool.

Nobody had heard of Fleetwood as a football club 5 years ago.

But they are upwardly mobile and the finest of sample of having progressive, supportive owners.
They have ambition, a word which is not in the SISU lexicon when it comes to football.

Otis

Poor teams always concede late, as the players have to cover more distance kms] to compensate. Hence, fatigue plays a role in players making positional and technical errors later in games.

Yes. Very vaild point. Nerves can also cause a lack of concentration, having already had it happen to us twice previously.

Paxman II

One fact is though that in the past 15 seasons the team that was bottom at this time of year DID go down and that was even before Saturday's game and our defeat and our drifting further apart from those above us.

There IS hope, but only if Slade does wonders in this final week of the transfer window.

The realist in me (all of us surely) tells me and you that with these owners we are not going to go out and splash the cash!

No amount of 'optimism' is going to make that happen.

In fairness O I can agree entirely with you again there.
It's a very sad and unprecedented state of affairs and I truly hope we can get out of it or I fear we will see our club club collapse for good.
I do hold out hope Slade, as you say will have a good week in the transfer market with an eye to the issues you have already highlighted.
I would have liked to have seen Stevenson gone so we had some funding to help but it seems our illustrious owners have scuppered that by hanging in for a bigger offer for him. Could go down as yet another big error of their judgement.
Being honest I just can't see who we can tempt here that will score the goals we will need. I hope I'm wrong and Slade pulls off a coup.

Otis

In fairness O I can agree entirely with you again there.
It's a very sad and unprecedented state of affairs and I truly hope we can get out of it or I fear we will see our club club collapse for good.
I do hold out hope Slade, as you say will have a good week in the transfer market with an eye to the issues you have already highlighted.
I would have liked to have seen Stevenson gone so we had some funding to help but it seems our illustrious owners have scuppered that by hanging in for a bigger offer for him. Could go down as yet another big error of their judgement.
Being honest I just can't see who we can tempt here that will score the goals we will need. I hope I'm wrong and Slade pulls off a coup.
The way we played on Saturday with the constant long ball makes me think it would be pointless Stevenson staying anyway.

Sell him, get a big lump of a centre forward and a midfield general and we may be on to something.

davebart

The way we played on Saturday with the constant long ball makes me think it would be pointless Stevenson staying anyway.

Sell him, get a big lump of a centre forward and a midfield general and we may be on to something.

What about Reid from Lincoln?

steve82

Not sure if people realise actually how good Fleetwood are these days. This is the form table for the last 12 games. Fleetwood have now not lost in there last 10 games. Scored 16 in there 10 game unbeaten run only conceding 6 goals.
So while we largely played poorly we limited the form side of the league to limited chances and nicked a 1-0 win.
The difference the rub of the green and a striker can do.
9b94e66ab8c026594fa2bb9de3abdcff.jpg

Captain Dart

Not sure if people realise actually how good Fleetwood are these days. This is the form table for the last 12 games. Fleetwood have now not lost in there last 10 games. Scored 16 in there 10 game unbeaten run only conceding 6 goals.
So while we largely played poorly we limited the form side of the league to limited chances and nicked a 1-0 win.
The difference the rub of the green and a striker can do.
9b94e66ab8c026594fa2bb9de3abdcff.jpg
They're beating Sheff Utd at Bramall Lane, 0-2!

Users who are viewing this thread