Match Thread Coventry v Oldham Match Thread - Saturday 17th Sep (1 Viewer)

Otis

Oh Shit
3deab648407bc2312cb13915dc9c9b58.jpg
A least there are 24 teams below us.

For now.

chiefdave

He has been aiming too high and has lost the gamble.
Looking increasingly like he got lucky with Armstrong, Murphy and Kent. A lot of his signings since haven't been great.

If you put those three into our current side we probably wouldn't be far off the start we had last year. This season we've got Agyei, McCann and Wright.

peeler

Mowbrays interview on CWR was very bizarre. Going on about talking to the squad about how they played at the end of last season - there's hardly any players from last season here!

Going on about Armstrong, Murphy and Kent and how he didn't get the players he wanted to come in this season on loan as they went to the Championship and are now scoring loads. If all his targets ended up at a higher level doesn't that indicate he was aiming too high?
We could't play 4 at the back before today because it would have confused the players as they wouldn't know what to do.
Look a different team in training.
There was more bizarre stuff but those were the stand outs to me.

The most worrying thing was it didn't sound like he had much of a clue how to improve things.

He might be playing for the sack and compensation.

Nick

Administrator
Who do you want in? Someone who will get the most of our star-studded squad?...

Somebody who will get the best out of the players they have and the budget available. What a good manager should be able to do.

All of this hands are tied stuff is absolute bollocks, we are in league 1. People need to get an understanding of League 1 to realise his hands aren't really tied are they compared to a fair few other managers in this league.

Otis

Somebody who will get the best out of the players they have and the budget available. What a good manager should be able to do.
Exactly.

It's amazing what you can do if you have the right players in the right positions, great spirit and a formation that actually works.

Chip Batch

Our players aren't good enough. We're having to put in youth team players that aren't ready and in the main, sign cast-offs that nobody else wants.

We're in the position we deserve to be with the squad we've got. Something needs to change but I don't think another manager will get better out of the players we've got. Sacking him now would be pointless as the new manager couldn't bring anyone in anyway.

See where we are at the end of December and take a view then.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well any normal club would sack the clown whose created this latest debacle: I doubt they will.

Talking of clowns, Steve Evans was present at the game today! :dead:

Not wanting to fuel rumours by that but let's say if he was invited by our owners and was being 'lined up'c I think we might aswell give up on this season already (if we haven't already done so....)

Nick

Administrator
Our players aren't good enough. We're having to put in youth team players that aren't ready and in the main, sign cast-offs that nobody else wants.

We're in the position we deserve to be with the squad we've got. Something needs to change but I don't think another manager will get better out of the players we've got. Sacking him now would be pointless as the new manager couldn't bring anyone in anyway.

See where we are at the end of December and take a view then.

Our players are more than good enough for this league. Good enough to win the league? No. Better than where we are at the minute? Of course they are.

Even the telegraph have been saying all week how are squad is superior to Oldham's.

You only have to see the stupid tactical decisions being made, more and more people seem to start noticing them.

We are in league 1, Mowbray isn't showing he is a good League 1 manager.

Otis

Not wanting to fuel rumours by that but let's say if he was invited by our owners and was being 'lined up'c I think we might aswell give up on this season already (if we haven't already done so....)
If Steve Evans is being lined up, I am getting some Tippex and changing all the Mowbray Out posters I have just printed to Mowbray Must Stay!

Chip Batch

Out of interest, where would people expect us to be with this squad? I wouldn't expect bottom, but not far off. We've lost all the goals and attacking threat from last season. It's hardly surprising we're struggling to replace it.

It's very difficult to build a new team from scratch every season. With the way the club is run there can't be any future planning. That's SISU's fault, not Mowbray's.

Otis

Where would I expect us to be? Top 10. We have the budget of a top 10 side, so that's where we should be.

Last edited:

Chip Batch

Our players are more than good enough for this league. Good enough to win the league? No. Better than where we are at the minute? Of course they are.

Even the telegraph have been saying all week how are squad is superior to Oldham's.

You only have to see the stupid tactical decisions being made, more and more people seem to start noticing them.

We are in league 1, Mowbray isn't showing he is a good League 1 manager.

I wouldn't take the Telegraph to be any measure of sense.

This time last year he was showing himself to be a great League 1 manager. The truth is somewhere inbetween.

Nick

Administrator
Out of interest, where would people expect us to be with this squad? I wouldn't expect bottom, but not far off. We've lost all the goals and attacking threat from last season. It's hardly surprising we're struggling to replace it.

It's very difficult to build a new team from scratch every season. With the way the club is run there can't be any future planning. That's SISU's fault, not Mowbray's.

You do realise how many strikers Mowbray signed, right?

He has also brought in players like Jones on 4 years, Turnbull on 3 years etc.

It is almost as if every other team in League 1 has unlimited budgets and there has been billions flying about in this league the way some people go on.

Chip Batch

I can't see anything that would cause us to be top 10. I don't think we've got a player that will make it to 10 goals all season.

Nick

Administrator
I wouldn't take the Telegraph to be any measure of sense.

This time last year he was showing himself to be a great League 1 manager. The truth is somewhere inbetween.

Until teams found us out and he didn't know what to do, so he brought in an OAP's club.

The bloke can do what he wants, he left bigi on his own in midfield today with a very strange change and people still can't see shit like that is his fault.

Chip Batch

So you want him sacked then? It always works out so well for us changing managers every 18 months...

I don't agree with everything he does, but I really don't think sacking him this early is the answer.

eastwoodsdustman

Bloke has lost the plot.

It was a strange one and we did look better when he brought Stephenson on. A mate of mine is a WBA season ticket holder and said a few weeks ago that when Mowbray loses the plot he really does lose it in a big way with strange selections and substitutions.

glasgowfan

The most worrying thing was it didn't sound like he had much of a clue how to improve things.

Mowbray out!
It sounds like SISU have a massive choice for a new manager. For starters, a whole bunch of people on this forum think they know far more about football management than Mowbray. Why weren't they invited for interview? How can Mowbray possibly hold on to his job in the face of such formidable competition?

Nick

Administrator
Mowbray out!
It sounds like SISU have a massive choice for a new manager. For starters, a whole bunch of people on this forum think they know far more about football management than Mowbray. Why weren't they invited for interview? How can Mowbray possibly hold on to his job in the face of such formidable competition?

I think everybody in the ground knew more about football today judging by the reaction to his halftime sub.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If Steve Evans is being lined up, I am getting some Tippex and changing all the Mowbray Out posters I have just printed to Mowbray Must Stay!
Evans is a prick but am I alone here in actually rating him as a manager?

letsallsingtogether

All of this hands are tied stuff is absolute bollocks, we are in league 1. People need to get an understanding of League 1 to realise his hands aren't really tied are they compared to a fair few other managers in this league.
Oh so now you want God?

Sick Boy

This is getting similar to when Thorn was in charge, it seemed like many enjoy the lack of winning football to gave an excuse to moan about sisu

Nick

Administrator
This is getting similar to when Thorn was in charge, it seemed like many enjoy the lack of winning football to gave an excuse to moan about sisu

It is very much like it, people have questioned his tactical decisions for months (not shouting get him out) and then more and more people start noticing them.

Today, the "We want SISu out" chants seemed to pipe up as our midfield was overrun.

Users who are viewing this thread