Match Thread Coventry v Oxford Utd Match Thread - Tuesday 18th Oct (1 Viewer)

6 Generations

A good all round display.
I thought that our centre backs played well and that apart from the early poor decision by Burge to come for a cross he was never going reach, his performance was very good.
Midfield was very good collectively, although Bigi will insist on attempting 'Hollywood' balls far to often, when there are simpler passes on.

I know that the game is about opinions, but Lameiras terrorised Oxford at times.

As for Tudgay, when he came on, he either held the ball up or drew the foul and I was just making that point to someone who agreed, until that indecisive moment which resulted in their consolation and made the final 3 or 4 minutes far more nervy than they needed to be.

We looked a decent team tonight with quite a strong bench.

Andy Rose is nearing fitness and hopefully Chris Stokes is not far behind.

Hadji10

He could chuck rose in there, mccann was pressing and getting forward a lot.

Yep, as well as the midfield 3 played we needed some legs in there after 60-65 mins. Thought Jones should have been introduced too when the game stretched.

6 Generations

The ref was really shaky at points as well I thought

The ref seemed reluctant to okay advantage at times, but apart from giving Oxford a questionable corner,
He was consistent with both sides.
Then, of course he later gave us a questionable corner.

I expected Chris Maguire to come back and haunt us.

Lee Burge mad a great save from his free kick and although he cannot at present be compared to Gordon Banks, his performance was very good.

chiefdave

Much more like it. Actually an enjoyable night out for a change, well apart from the last couple of minutes. Lets hope that can be the spark and we don't just fall away again.

covcity4life

Dunno what you guys moan about. I love going to ricoh :)

Stevenson is quite the talent. And think sordell can get 15 to 20. Excited for season now if we just out back to back results together

Also think Mann is good in midfield for us. We need to replace him.in jan

lifeskyblue

A decent performance all round tonight. Thought the midfield ran the show and I was impressed with sordell. Burge flapped at one first half and they hit bar but apart from that he dealt with everything. Willis and turnbull worry me but they weren't bullied tonight and as a result played a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

Enjoyed the match but it was a big cold:cold:

I thought Oxford were pretty average, thought Stevenson was excellent but I was getting fed up with all this shoot shoot business after his goal, Sordell and McCann both did well

Last edited:

Hobo

Good to hear we won and sounds like the team put in a decent shift. Let's hope we can find some consistency and start climbing the table to a safer position.

skybluepm2

Enjoyed the match but it was a big cold:cold:

I thought Oxford were pretty average, thought Stevenson was excellent but I was getting fed up with all this shoot shoot business after his goal, Sordell and McCann both did well

I agree. Very cringeworthy, particularly after the 6th time in a row.

speedie87

Is the cross everyone is saying burge flapped at the one just before the ref gave a corner that wasn't a corner? As from where I was their player was grabbing his arm and it was a blatant foul

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Noticed ex Cov Josh Ruffles playing left back for them last night ( thought he had a shocker). Was a right sided winger when he was here!?

Nick

Administrator
Every through ball or quick ball out wide seemed to cause panic for them.

On a plus note, as a general lee Burge hater, other than the corner flap, thought he looked solid - and looked far improved than his last stint as number 1

He collected the ball well a couple of times and even had the old gamesmanship when they scored to pick it up ;)

Nick

Administrator
I also spent the first half thinking their striker was Dave Kitson, he played against us in the friendly the year before and I missed the team lineups for them.

Half time I looked on Sky Sports to realise it wasn't! :(

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Big fan of watching gamesmanship when we're doing it, I like to look at the opposition fans and think, is that really how frustrated I get when we're losing?

olderskyblue

Anyone notice how, for a tall guy, Mcann only seems to get off the ground an inch or two when he jumps?

And are Mcanns wages the "budget" we'll have to "add" to the squad in January?

Nick

Administrator
Lameiras making a miraculous recovery in the last 5 mins after he slid their winger was a personal favourite

Yeah, he was lying face down like he was dead to waste some time.

He didn't even pretend to limp or anything.

One of their players did it in the first time, acted injured until the ball went to him, tosser!

Nick

Administrator
The other thing is the ball boys, some of them need to know when to slow it down a bit. They race to get the ball to give to the other team when we are winning.

Anybody remember the one who looked about 20? He would stand there with it and blatantly time waste and pretend to do his shoe lace up and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread