Crawley Town Match Thread (2 Viewers)

LJC_CCFC

Starting this now as I'll need something to read during the four hour Maypac build up.

With Crawley needing the win it should make for an open game, beyond that I just can't make my mind up on a score prediction.

The game will be won and lost in the centre of midfield.

Having lost Anthony Wordsworth, one of the few players of quality in their squad they are looking quite slow in the middle of the park with Fowler and Elliot.

For me this represents a big opportunity for Fleck and Ward to dominate the ball and provide us with the level of control we need to assert in this game.

Lewis Young (Brother of Ashley) represents another weak point in their team. Naturally a winger and a pretty ineffective one at that, he is being used at right back by Saunders. I'd be looking for whoever starts up top, to pull off onto him and test his defensive qualities.

Approach this game in the correct manner and there is no reason why we should lose it.

For me:

Burge

Willis
Martin
Johnson
Stokes

Ward
Fleck

Odelusi (Phillips? Or is that being too negative)
Maddison
JOB

The German/Tudgay (Tudgay if 100% fit)

Otis

Starting this now as I'll need something to read during the four hour Maypac build up.

With Crawley needing the win it should make for an open game, beyond that I just can't make my mind up on a score prediction.

The game will be won and lost in the centre of midfield.

Having lost Anthony Wordsworth, one of the few players of quality in their squad they are looking quite slow in the middle of the park with Fowler and Elliot.

For me this represents a big opportunity for Fleck and Ward to dominate the ball and provide us with the level of control we need to assert in this game.

Lewis Young (Brother of Ashley) represents another weak point in their team. Naturally a winger and a pretty ineffective one at that, he is being used at right back by Saunders. I'd be looking for whoever starts up top, to pull off onto him and test his defensive qualities.

Approach this game in the correct manner and there is no reason why we should lose it.

For me:

Burge

Willis
Martin
Johnson
Stokes

Ward
Fleck

Odelusi (Phillips? Or is that being too negative)
Maddison
JOB

The German/Tudgay (Tudgay if 100% fit)

Yep. Exactly that team for me too. Willis is dreadful attacking, but tomorrow we need solidity at the back and Philips last week didn't give us that at all and looked very shaky when being ran at.

Maddison too for me, cos he offers that little bit of trickery and skill and I think they may have to at times have two players marking him to nullify any threat he might bring.

Tudgay or the Geman. Either for me. but just one up front, with JOB and Maddison and Odeusi supporting where they can.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Maddison won't start in a game of this magnitude, Barton and Nouble will both be ahead of him in the pecking order

Otis

I sincerely hope not.

Barton cause he will probably be bullied out of the game and Nouble.because he hasn't looked remotely interested lately.

Hobo

Maddison won't start.

Otis

Maddison won't start.

He might not, but TM identified weaknesses last week and we all know Nouble has been absent and Barton was removed at half time. I would play Maddison. I don't care about the 'magnitude.' The game will be very high temp from Crawley and they will get stuck in and that sort of game doesn't suit Barton one little bit and Nouble has been just a name of the teamsheet of late.

What's the point of playing someone in such an important game where they will just a passenger?

Last edited:

LJC_CCFC

Magnitude my arse, Maddison is clearly good enough to be playing in games at this level. The reality is that the 'magnitude' of this game doesn't suit Barton or Nouble.

Nick

Administrator
4-1 us to send crawley down, none of this soft stuff wishing well. Kill or be killed!!

Otis

Magnitude my arse, Maddison is clearly good enough to be playing in games at this level. The reality is that the 'magnitude' of this game doesn't suit Barton or Nouble.

Completely agree.

What's the point in playing someone who clearly isin't going to be suited to this kind of battle?

Barton tends to get margiinalised in physical battles and he is often crowded out and dispossessed. What's the point of him even being out there of the pitch? He lacks pace and any kind of physicality whatosever.

With Maddison you get pace to go along with the trickery and he will support the forwards.

pusbccfc

Burge

Willis-Martin-Reda-Stokes

JOB-Fleck-Thomas-Ward-Odelusi

Tudgay

Bring in Thomas a long side Fleck and Ward to pack the centre of midfield. Leave Tudgay on the halfway line all game and lump it up to him - if he plays like he did against Walsall, then we should win.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Whether its right or wrong, Mowbray will go with experience tomorrow over ability. I'm sure of it.

Rusty Trombone

It would be a brave (or do I mean foolish) decision to start Maddison and Odelusi. Maddison seems to only do well when he's given 15mins to play, and I can only really recall Odelusi playing well for 20 mins in total. German fella is improving, I'd give him another go.

LJC_CCFC

It would be a brave (or do I mean foolish) decision to start Maddison and Odelusi. Maddison seems to only do well when he's given 15mins to play, and I can only really recall Odelusi playing well for 20 mins in total. German fella is improving, I'd give him another go.

It would be brave (or do I mean foolish, yes I think I do) to play Barton in what will most likely be a kick, rush and fight type of game. Frankly I see no reason to give Nouble anymore game time in a City shirt.

Rusty Trombone

It would be brave (or do I mean foolish, yes I think I do) to play Barton in what will most likely be a kick, rush and fight type of game. Frankly I see no reason to give Nouble anymore game time in a City shirt.

Hard to argue against dropping Barton, I suppose if I had to say something positive it's that he does move into space and try and get hold of the ball, oh, and he's tall. I think he'll give Nouble another chance, surely he'll realise he's running out of chances and will put some real effort in.

Gazolba

I'd start Maddison and Proschwitz. Proschwitz has put in the effort recently and just scored his first goal. He should not be rewarded by being dropped. If Maddison is good enough he should be in and is more likely to give 100% effort than Nouble. Keep Tudgay in reserve. I'm still going for a 1-1- draw.

Otis

Hard to argue against dropping Barton, I suppose if I had to say something positive it's that he does move into space and try and get hold of the ball, oh, and he's tall. I think he'll give Nouble another chance, surely he'll realise he's running out of chances and will put some real effort in.
'Barton's tall?' Is that really something anyone would want to put forward as an argument for him playing? You might as well say 'he's got a beard.'

Barton cannot head, pure and simple. The only advantage his 'tallness' can bring is if he is in the wall and he uses his face to block a free kick.'

Whether people rate him or not, today is NOT a game suited to Adam Barton. This will be a physical, fast paced, fist fight. Crawley will not be giving us time on the ball and will be constantly chasing us down and denying us space. Barton would be knocked off the ball and out of his rhythm.

He has no pace and no physical strength. Today is not a game for faint hearts.

Madison lacks strength, but he has a great energy about him and he is quick and has trickery which can turn a game in an instance. He has an eye for goal and will support the forward(s).

Form me Madison has the right mental strength too, so there is no way the occasion will get to him.

mrtrench

I fear this will be our last game in League 1 for several years. This is exactly the kind of game that we don't turn up for. Hope I'm wrong.

Astute

I can't see it being an open game today. At least not until the first goal. They won't leave themselves open at the back as if we score first they are in big trouble. And 0-0 is good enough for us. But whichever side goes behind are at a big risk of going down....Crawley are down if they lose.

TM will have spent the week with the players and will know who will be the most settled to play. We don't want bottlers. We need a solid performance. And if this means experience then so be it. We are in a better position than Crawley in all ways. They have their best player out. They have other players out. And they are depending on a Nuneaton Borough player :p

2-1 win. Poor weather will make the pitch slippy so there will be mistakes. Will be biting my fingernails for the first time in years. Won't have any left by half time.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I think we will lose but stay up with a huge slice of luck, we just need to stay up, if we go down then it will be the death of this club with the current owner, we will not recover.

skybluetony176

I think we'll lose today. The score isn't important I just hope other results go our way. Either that or I'm wrong on our result.

simonregis

For me the result lies in the boss(es) and I think TM has the edge. Although I did like SP I am just thankful he is not our boss today.
This is not a game we must win, It's a game we mustn't lose. I think it's also good we are playing a team that must win because we can hit them on the break, so speed today is essential. I'm pleased we aren't playing a team with nothing to play for because then we are chasing the game. In this situation we have nothing to lose.
I think he will play Barton because he likes him. I think the team will be defensive but able to break and I think for Barton today's game is IT. TM's future is also on this game. If we go down he won't stay. If we win he will. Many players are playing for their futures not only in terms of what league but also with what manager. If we go down many may stay but if we stay up many will leave because they just don't have the attitude.
We won't lose today, because that is our objective. If we win it will be on the break. Can we defend? If it was SP then no. But under TM I think we will manage.

Prediction - 1-1 Stokes to score

Covcraig@bury

2-1 Crawley . And we get relegated . We never turn up for big games so it dosnt matter what team is picked... On the up side there's a lot of new grounds to visit next season !!

johnwillomagic

Team for me: going for experience mainly

Burge
Willis
Martin
Johnson
Stokes
JOB
Fleck
Ward
Tudguy
Maddison
Nouble

Subs: Charles Cook, Phillips, Haynes, Webster, C.THomas, Odelusi, Proschwitz

Think we may just scrape a 1-1 draw.....very nervous.

Johnnythespider

5th away clean sheet away on the bounce, 1-0 to us posh twit to score. I think he will start with Barton and have Maddison on the bench. I wouldn't play Odelusi as I think he's rubbish, so Nouble gets the nod there for being slightly less rubbish.

Otis

I fear this will be our last game in League 1 for several years. This is exactly the kind of game that we don't turn up for. Hope I'm wrong.
Yep. Very much normally the case and unlike Charlton, Crawley's league future is on the line too.

We often don't turn up when the other side has little to play for, but then, in saying that, maybe the fact it is just as important for Crawley, will focus our minds better.

God knows what City we will get out there this afternoon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread