Dalian atkinson killed by police (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

Wonder why he died? Could have some serious repercussions if no other factors other than the tazer come into play.

I recall his debut for Shef Weds, believe he had a decent game and a reporter (who obviously wasn't there) asked Big Ron if he was a relative. "Have you SEEN him?" asks Ron :D

A great shame whatever the circumstances, condolences to his friends and family - its the ones left behind you always have to think about.

no_loyalty

R.I.P. Dalian, will be remembered for his stunning solo goal of the season against Wimbledon, when he ran from his own half avoiding several challenges and chipping Dave Beasant

oucho

RIP....remember listening to his goal in the 1994 Coca Cola Cup final whilst in the car driving from Swansea to Cheshire, aged about 10...(me, not him, obvs)

James Smith

Great shame to hear that he's died and I hope the IPCC find out what happened. I can't imagine what his family are going through and my thoughts are with them.

oucho

1994 Coco-Cola Cup final highlights. The most striking thing now is Keegan on the commentary arguing that the ref shouldn't have sent off Andrei Kanchelskis for deliberate handball on the goalline, when he used his arm to parry the ball and stop it going in....in fact, Brian Moore tells the viewers just how much he disagrees with this "ridiculous" ruling.

Last time I checked, that was a sending-off offence Brian. In fact, after the QF of the 2010 World Cup (Uruguay v Ghana), the debate was whether the ref ought to be able to simply give a goal rather than calling a foul and awarding a penalty.

Covstu

It was shocking news albeit the start of a long inquest particularly given his profile. He must have been up to something dodgy or something was seriously kicking off in the early hours.

Captain Dart

Total tragedy.

fernandopartridge

It was shocking news albeit the start of a long inquest particularly given his profile. He must have been up to something dodgy or something was seriously kicking off in the early hours.

Yes, because the police have never and would never use excessive force

wingy

Sounds from witness reports the device was activated around 4_5 times.
Not necessarily reliable.
I wonder if the officers had their body cams on, should help clear it up.

stupot07

Sounds from witness reports the device was activated around 4_5 times.
Not necessarily reliable.
I wonder if the officers had their body cams on, should help clear it up.
Just been on the news on bbc 5 Live. Non of them had body cams on apparently

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wingy

On the news it said he had a weak heart and other health problems. It'll come out soon why they used a tazer ?
That would be the type of condition that was highlighted on their introduction rendering them dangerous
Wonder what percentage of the population is walking around with known or unknown conditions such as this

Johnnythespider

For something that is supposed to safely incapacitate somebody who is out of control, there seem to be a lot of instances where people die on the wrong end of one of these things.
R.I.P.

Johnnythespider

I've just read a case where a man who had doused himself with flammable liquid was shot with a taser, yes you guessed it he burst into flames and died.

wingy

Ten deaths in ten years.
Not as prevailent as on first impression.
Is that acceptable /tolerable?
Situation the officers are faced with I guess, reckon it would do for me if I was a bad un.

SkyblueBazza

I hate this "killed by the police" stuff. The cases where they choose some random individual, or where they DO use excessive force are probably only 1% of cases (or at least very low %)

It is extremely sad that Dalian (or anyone else) died as a result of Police actions & I'm sure the cop that fired the tazer will be doing anything but receiving pats on the back or celebrating the 'kill' - but faced with the completely unknown 'what happens next' scenario...what do the police do? Wait until they're spat on, thumped, knifed, shot...etc?

Most of us in situations faced with the kind the police face pretty regularly would take the approach that I do (get in first!) so I feel difficulty criticising them too readily.

There will probably always be the odd rogue case...but assume they've done right in the true spirit of innocent until proven guilty!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

jimmyhillsfanclub

woman eye witness on the 10oclock news last night stated that the police gave him a kicking whilst he was on the deck after he'd been tasered.....

oucho

Maybe they were Blues fans.....

Covstu

I heard that they also ran him over with the car........ FFS we are going to hear some wild stories come out of this but strange that they didn't have the cams on though? is that mandatory or not?

jimmyhillsfanclub

you would have thought (hoped) that any copper issued with a taser must also be legally obliged to wear a camera.....

.....but common sense and police policy are not often the best of friends.....

Covstu

You would think so, personally if I was going into a potentially threatening environment I would want to wear it to protect myself given the bad press that police are getting but there was no way they could have anticipated that he would have died from it. Doesn't make it right either but I don't think you would ever get a consensus view on this one

jimmyhillsfanclub

assuming the eye witness report is true, then piling in & giving a 48 year old bloke a shoeing after being hit with a taser probably didn't help his survival chances......

One of Atkinsons relations raised a good point on the news last night too......
It should be law that as soon as the police deploy a taser, they should deploy an ambulance.

Nick

Administrator
You would think the post mortem would show if he had a kickin?

I do think it should be standard that every policeman should have a go-pro on them. For their own safety also.

SkyblueBazza

assuming the eye witness report is true, then piling in & giving a 48 year old bloke a shoeing after being hit with a taser probably didn't help his survival chances......

One of Atkinsons relations raised a good point on the news last night too......
It should be law that as soon as the police deploy a taser, they should deploy an ambulance.
They might - unless you know different? I'm sure given the damage they know that can result - the instant it becomes safe & possible to do so they would send for some sort of medical back-up. That's common sense...although as someone already pointed common sense doesn't always prevail

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread