Did any of our older posters go to..... (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

The Arsenal vs Liverpool Cup semi final at Highfield Road?

I think they had drawn a few times already, hence why it was in Coventry.

I went, and remember thinking what great players they all were. Ray Kennedy stood out for me. Superb atmosphere, and a great spectacle as a "neutral" in our own ground. Can't recall how many attended, but it was packed where I was.

covey1987

Yes I was there, went with my dad and uncle. Sat in the main stand remember it was a great atmosphere but don't remember much about the actual game.

Westendlad

I was there too. Went with Dad in the away bit of the kop with all the scousers.......Can't remember much but think it finished 0-0 and arsenal won through another replay ??? I do remember walking face first into a lampost on the way home though......:facepalm:

olderskyblue

I was there too. Went with Dad in the away bit of the kop with all the scousers.......Can't remember much but think it finished 0-0 and arsenal won through another replay ??? I do remember walking face first into a lampost on the way home though......:facepalm:

Arsenal won 1-0

bringbackrattles

I never went to this match but remember going to a cup replay at Highfield Road between Hull City and Bristol City.
I was only a youngster and why I went I've no idea, but I was so keen back then to go to any game at our spiritual home that I went to reserve games as well. Can't remember the score but think it was a good attendance and I was on the Kop.

bringbackrattles

went

also villa palace replay
Portugal v N ireland with Eusebio playing
I also recall a match verses Morton when they played in bright red but what the game was for I don't know ? Also as kids we sneaked in once to a behind closed doors game and watched at the back of the old covered end.Once again what match it was escapes me,where's Jim Brown when you need him !

cv3

I went on the kop with the scousers hoping for a good atmosphere. Ended up ankle deep in piss as they pissed where they stood. Arsenal fans were jumping on the roofs of the boxes at bottom of main stand when they won.

Gazolba

I also recall a match verses Morton when they played in bright red but what the game was for I don't know ? Also as kids we sneaked in once to a behind closed doors game and watched at the back of the old covered end.Once again what match it was escapes me,where's Jim Brown when you need him !

I was at the Morton game. It was in October 1964. It was a friendly but we fielded a very strong team with both George Hudson and Bobby Gould up front and Bill Glazier in goal. Morton featured several Danish internationals. They were flying high in the Scottish league at the time. They had a phenomenal record, winning almost every game and scoring a lot of goals. They completely dominated City with their fast passing game. I'm not sure of the result but think they beat us 6-0. Found this program for sale on eBay.
CovMorton.jpg

Here's an idea how good Morton were in 1964. They lost only one game all season:
Morton-63-64.jpg

Last edited:

wingy

I was at the Morton game. It was in October 1964. It was a friendly but we fielded a very strong team with both George Hudson and Bobby Gould up front and Bill Glazier in goal. Morton featured several Danish internationals. They were flying high in the Scottish league at the time. They had a phenomenal record, winning almost every game and scoring a lot of goals. They completely dominated City with their fast passing game. I'm not sure of the result but think they beat us 6-0. Found this program for sale on eBay.
View attachment 4055

What a great bit of memorabilia

CJ_covblaze

View attachment 4055

Here's an idea how good Morton were in 1964. They lost only one game all season:
View attachment 4057

That's some record. Especially as they played every game on 1st July!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

If i remember correctly half time in the Morton game 2 Mime artist come on one dressed as a ref and one as a goalkeeper ended with the ref gesturing to the keeper not to kick the ball so high otherwise he would book him'

Users who are viewing this thread