Dion Dublin Hat-Trick 20 years ago (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

IIRC we had just signed a shirt sponsorship deal with Subaru/Isuzu and all the dealers were moaning because they were paying for it through some sort of premium added to each car. Only for Dublin to score an opening day hat trick and Subaru was plastered all over the back pages on the Sunday and Monday. Worth every penny.

Reactions: vow

fernandopartridge

IIRC we had just signed a shirt sponsorship deal with Subaru/Isuzu and all the dealers were moaning because they were paying for it through some sort of premium added to each car. Only for Dublin to score an opening day hat trick and Subaru was plastered all over the back pages on the Sunday and Monday. Worth every penny.

Yeah, wasn't it a bit of a false sponsorship really, we weren't sponsored by the carmakers themselves but by the dealership in Berkswell?

Bugsy

What I would do to be there again
...PUSB

shmmeee

Yeah, wasn't it a bit of a false sponsorship really, we weren't sponsored by the carmakers themselves but by the dealership in Berkswell?

Dunno if it’s the same dealership but Tory lord and ruiner of Potters Green education Bob Edmiston owned the distribution rights for Suburu and Izusu for the whole of the UK IIRC, I think that’s how he made his money to buy his peerage. So it might have been a bit more than a dealership.

shmmeee

One of the greatest to wear the Sky Blue shirt. Up front or at the back an absolute colossus for us. Would have gone down sooner if it wasn't for him (oh and a bit of Oggy aswell).

Yep. Hands down the most complete footballer I’ve seen at City. Should’ve played for England more than he did as we’ll IMO, at a glance he’s an old fashioned CF, but he was so much classier than that and one hell of a defender.

Nilsson is probably the only other one I’ve seen who came close to that level of quality. But I think Dion is probably the best player I’ve seen in sky blue.

NortonSkyBlue

Yep. Hands down the most complete footballer I’ve seen at City. Should’ve played for England more than he did as we’ll IMO, at a glance he’s an old fashioned CF, but he was so much classier than that and one hell of a defender.

Nilsson is probably the only other one I’ve seen who came close to that level of quality. But I think Dion is probably the best player I’ve seen in sky blue.
Hard to argue too much with that. He is number two on my list behind Tommy Hutchison.
From his first game at QPR he was a hand in glove fit for us and added so much to the team whilst here. I would have loved to have seen him up top with Robbie Keane.

fernandopartridge

Dunno if it’s the same dealership but Tory lord and ruiner of Potters Green education Bob Edmiston owned the distribution rights for Suburu and Izusu for the whole of the UK IIRC, I think that’s how he made his money to buy his peerage. So it might have been a bit more than a dealership.
That might be it actually

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

I think it was something like that. The guy who was the chief importer/distributor for the UK organized it. Seem to remember it being said at the time he was a big CCFC fan. Anyone know if that was true and if so what happened to him? Surely he's got to few bob to help save the club if true.

Users who are viewing this thread