Do You Like Your Job ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Been out and about on the window round today and loved being out in the cold etc.A customer said I'm always cheerful even on wintry days and I must be mad as most people hate it. I know a few people who hate their jobs but if I didn't enjoy mine I'd be depressed. What about others on here do you like yours or hate it ?

Monners

A bit boring asit's laptop, meetings, phone calls most the time. But, no weekends, flexi time, hime working when needed. Could be worse.

eastwoodsdustman

I work for myself and have done for 14 years. Have to travel from Coventry to Northampton every day which can bee a ball ache but love doing what I do. Speak to customers every day and know most on first name terms. Virtually all of our business comes from recommendations too which is great. At worst I do four days but nearer 3 1/2 and no weekends.

Otis

I really liked my last job until it went all budget and spreadsheet, meet your targets.

It used to be in the top 100 companies to work for. As soon as they lost that personal touch and focus it quickly dropped out.

Happy now I am out of it all.

rob9872

In true Pete and Dud style: "The best job I ever had, was ..."

For me it was in my 6th form. I had 2 jobs so I could afford to go out with my mates who were already working and we had just discovered pubs! One was at the local petrol station cleaning the pumps and the jet wash area, that was a horrible job, worked like a b*stard for almost sod all. But the other was a milk round and I absolutely loved it. Collecting the empties on cold mornings was not the best, but the early start with crisp fresh mornings, keeping fit and then seeing the people on the round as I went collecting on the weekend all made it worthwhile.

Since then a variety of jobs but almost all office based and tbh although all independent from each other, one pen pushing job is much the same as the other and hard to get excited about. I think unless I was a pro-footballer I would struggle to be excited about any job. That said being in my 40s, fat and crippled, coupled with a lack of talent mean that dream should probably die now (although perhaps I might still get into the Villa side).

bringbackrattles

I really liked my last job until it went all budget and spreadsheet, meet your targets.

It used to be in the top 100 companies to work for. As soon as they lost that personal touch and focus it quickly dropped out.

Happy now I am out of it all.
An old school classmate took early retirement aged 58 and loves it.
Fair play to him and you as long as you're contented.

eastwoodsdustman

I used to have a paper round as a kid and loved it. Fresh air and excercise every morning. My son has one now and I covered it a couple of weeks ago with my daughter as he was on work experience. Still loved doing it. I reckon I'll be like the Peter Kay character when I retire and get a paper round in my 70's.

bringbackrattles

In true Pete and Dud style: "The best job I ever had, was ..."

For me it was in my 6th form. I had 2 jobs so I could afford to go out with my mates who were already working and we had just discovered pubs! One was at the local petrol station cleaning the pumps and the jet wash area, that was a horrible job, worked like a b*stard for almost sod all. But the other was a milk round and I absolutely loved it. Collecting the empties on cold mornings was not the best, but the early start with crisp fresh mornings, keeping fit and then seeing the people on the round as I went collecting on the weekend all made it worthwhile.

Since then a variety of jobs but almost all office based and tbh although all independent from each other, one pen pushing job is much the same as the other and hard to get excited about. I think unless I was a pro-footballer I would struggle to be excited about any job. That said being in my 40s, fat and crippled, coupled with a lack of talent mean that dream should probably die now (although perhaps I might still get into the Villa side).
I loved my paper round as a kid and going on building sites at weekends with my dad who was a Brickie,doing odd jobs for pocket money.

bringbackrattles

not so much my job but work with a sound bunch of people and we have great craic so can't complain too much.
Really like a lot of my customers. Especially the older ones they can be so funny in what they do and say. I'm thinking of writing about some ? One lady once said to me: " She'd got a new cooker from MI5 instead of MFI !

Last edited:
R

RB1992

Don't enjoy my job, but it's insanely easy. 8 hour days, for which I probably work for about 1-2 hours. The rest is browsing the internet, reading or gambling. Can't help but feel I'm wasting my life though.

skybluedan

I try to work the least amount possible these days , especially when others can do it for me
Got up at 10 today been watching sponge bob getting baked , think I'm gonna try and get the Mrs cat and dog the mate now ,

Terry Gibson's perm

Currently unemployed so love my job:D

Last job was cold calling as a rep worst six months of my life never again.

Want to become a postman but so do lots of others so it's hard to get in, just got to interview and didn't get it and now can't reapply for six months which is a bit shit.

NorthernWisdom

...which one?

Like the main one (of three!) but less than impressed with the salary. Think it comes down to the fact I stay because I get on with the people, and there wouldn't be many chances to do what I do elsewhere and get paid *anything* for it.

Astute

I wouldn't say that I love my job. But I enjoy it. I am a mechanical engineer. I work as a machine operator and fix it when it goes wrong.

I work 12 hour shifts. 2 days 2 nights 4 off. We do 7 lots of 4 then get 18 days off. We now shut for Xmas and reopen on the 2nd January. It falls nicely this year. I get nearly a month off for it :) The worse thing is when you start working at the weekend it lasts for weeks. I only work an average of 144 shifts a year. But we can't choose our time off. But we can either swap shifts with each other or do a salary sacrifice and buy time off.

Will be retiring when I am 60. Don't want to go any earlier. My youngest 2 kids will be 18 and 19. Going to leave them with the house and go touring. Will occasionally go back unannounced to check on house and fill the freezer up.

CJ_covblaze

I suppose so. Passing on knowledge and experience to kids (my staff too FWIW) is something you can't put into words, especially when you see an individual develop and learn due to that knowledge. Don't get to spend much time with kids now though as it's mainly desk work :-(

My sports management and marketing stuff can be a bit boring. Endless calls and paperwork. Rewarding though when your hard work is there for all to see! Used to have to travel a lot to circuits for race meetings but do my best to stay away from that now.

Photo booth hire can be fun. Late nights but meet a lot of interesting people. See a lot of sights that I wouldn't see if I didn't do it too!

bringbackrattles

I hear often people with large salaries with loads of money but who hate their jobs. They work there because of the money and nothing else.Obviously money is important but if you dislike the work/job and keep looking at the clock and have no banter etc personally I'd rather be in low paid employment.

Astute

I suppose so. Passing on knowledge and experience to kids (my staff too FWIW) is something you can't put into words, especially when you see an individual develop and learn due to that knowledge. Don't get to spend much time with kids now though as it's mainly desk work :-(

My sports management and marketing stuff can be a bit boring. Endless calls and paperwork. Rewarding though when your hard work is there for all to see! Used to have to travel a lot to circuits for race meetings but do my best to stay away from that now.

Photo booth hire can be fun. Late nights but meet a lot of interesting people. See a lot of sights that I wouldn't see if I didn't do it too!
How do you manage to find the time to travel so much?

Ranjit Bhurpa

Had what i thought was a good job for 27 years until redundancy struck. But didn't really appreciate how good it was until i moved somewhere else and made comparisons. But isn't that life, just need to value what we have more.

Marty

Love my job. I'm overpaid and underworked. Have a great laugh with my colleagues. No responsibilities at all. Pritty flexible with my working hours too. Only thing is I can't see it lasting more then 10 years so just enjoying it while I can.

Astute

I hear often people with large salaries with loads of money but who hate their jobs. They work there because of the money and nothing else.Obviously money is important but if you dislike the work/job and keep looking at the clock and have no banter etc personally I'd rather be in low paid employment.
I couldn't agree more. If we are running well we can have a laugh most of the shift. If not running well we are so busy a 12 hour shift flies by. You can see how easy it can be as I am working now :)

I could earn a bit more if I worked away from home. But I would never consider it. I live in a great part of the country and live a 10 minute drive from work. The wife is even closer to work. We have a 13 1/2 mile beach on our doorstep and have to drive through the bottom end of the lake district to get to the M6.

I would be a fool to want it any differently....other than for football reasons.

Astute

Love my job. I'm overpaid and underworked. Have a great laugh with my colleagues. No responsibilities at all. Pritty flexible with my working hours too. Only thing is I can't see it lasting more then 10 years so just enjoying it while I can.
Sounds like my job. I did go into management years ago. But I hated it. On call 24 hours 7 days a week. No overtime pay. Lots of responsibility. And only an extra 14k a year. Couldn't even plan anything knowing nothing could stop you. And we can make the money up with a bit of OT and bonuses.

ovduk78

What's not to like, I work in a cafe overlooking a loch in central Scotland meeting people from all over the world, my boss lets me make whatever I want to sell and she recognises how important family life is so if I need to leave early or get in late to deal with my son she is fine. Only downside is I live 335 miles from CCFC, but I'll be at Wembley!!!

Users who are viewing this thread