Do You Like Your Job ? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I do now, had some shite jobs in the past.
Love my job
I work with children who have life limiting health conditions, it can be difficult but very rewarding
I have met some wonderful children and families
To be fair the shifts can be hard sometimes but I love it

Don't know how you manage that, I reckon I would be constantly depressed. Fair play to you!

LastGarrison

Really enjoy my job, can be quite high pressured in terms of sales and targets and I work far more hours than I am contracted to but I get to travel the world and it has taken me to places I probably never would have visited (Lebanon, Saudi Arabia etc) and get to meet lots of different people from all over the world.

A massive advantage is I actually believe in what I do and get to see the benefits, plus work with a pretty good bunch, on the whole, oh and it doesn't pay too bad either.

oakey

No, I am a teacher so I won't elaborate as I am not allowed to moan about my job. So let me say how grateful I inevitably feel for long holidays, good pension if you are over 50 currently, and an above living wage remuneration.
Apart from that...

Astute

No, I am a teacher so I won't elaborate as I am not allowed to moan about my job. So let me say how grateful I inevitably feel for long holidays, good pension if you are over 50 currently, and an above living wage remuneration.
Apart from that...
Lots of holidays?

CJ_covblaze

How do you manage to find the time to travel so much?

As long as I have my Mac and phone I can work anywhere. Technically have to apply for work permits when I'm out of the EU though.

clint van damme

I hear often people with large salaries with loads of money but who hate their jobs. They work there because of the money and nothing else.Obviously money is important but if you dislike the work/job and keep looking at the clock and have no banter etc personally I'd rather be in low paid employment.

You're right BBR. from 2012 - 2015 I was ridiculously busy at work, often doing 7 days a week, I earned substantially more than I am at the moment.
But things calmed down last year,I'm now working normal hours but my life is so much better, both at work and at home.
I still do OK now and don't miss the extra money because I was just spending it on shit I didn't need to try and make myself happy.

Gazolba

I like my job but I'm ready to retire. Been doing similar computer work for about 20 different employers on two continents for over 40 years.
Just lately too much focus on changing processes, too many meetings, too much documentation that no-one ever reads and too many distractions interrupting work.
Management constantly harping on about being more productive and yet giving us more things to do that reduce our productivity.
The best thing about my current job is the flexibility. I work four 10 hour days and I work from home three of those days.
The worst thing is my salary peaked in 1991. Pay has stagnated for 25 years. Most computer work has disappeared overseas.

Last edited:

shmmeee

In the process of changing career so obviously not, but I used to.

Used to be in school at 7am, home at 8pm and happy about it. I was part of a community and I loved it so it never felt like work. Even when the kids came and I had to cut back still enjoyed it. Then it all changed and became about meeting tickboxes on government dictats and I didn't feel like I was helping anyone any more. Got proper sick of it.

So I'm back at uni changing to machine learning, loving it at the moment doing well and it's an area that fascinates me.

For me, I'd rather be happy than rich and feeling like I'm doing a difference matters.

Covstu

Apart from that...
My wife is a secondary school teacher, it sucks

Covstu

I don't dislike my job apart from the travel. Generally do about 3500 per month, pay is great, nice car but can't really switch off even on holidays so it has its downsides. Always said I would take a view later in life and take the foot off the gas at that time

lifeskyblue

I am a university lecturer and have 6 months ago gone down to 2 days a week and accessed my pension. I work Monday and Tuesday and have as much income as when I worked 5 days. So I'm not complaining.

PUSB

Sky_Blue_Daz

When I left school my elder brother phoned me to say he'd got me a job at the Rolls Royce plant in Ansty

I was curious and asked him what it was
I said I was going to be trained to be an"industrial hygienist " in my teenage naivety I thought I would be cleaning down the machinery and thought it could be the start of a career

The lying bastard had me cleaning toilets for initial cleaning services

There was some horrendous sights

bringbackrattles

When I left school my elder brother phoned me to say he'd got me a job at the Rolls Royce plant in Ansty

I said I was going to be trained to be an"industrial hygienist " in my teenage naivety I thought I would be cleaning down the machinery and thought it could be the start of a career

And now you watch a load of crap every season !

robbieray

Is it like watching this shit

clint van damme

I love my job, I work with kids with emotional and behavioural problems, had enough now though, too much bureaucracy and no money
a lot of dedicated people calling it a day because they can't just get on with the job they love, it's a real shame that people with a vocation are, or are considering, walking away from something they've devoted themselves to.

Users who are viewing this thread