Does anyone know Merlyn Guest House (1 Viewer)

CCFC Germany

As I'm currently planning my trip to the Ricoh for one of the last games I just want to know if any of you guys knows this place :

http://merlynguesthouse.co.uk/

As I'm looking for an affordable place to stay.
Was at the same hotel for the last times but didn't like it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I stayed here when I visited Coventry last year. (I used to live next door as a youngster). It was clean and friendly and a nice breakfast (which cost extra). They advertise parking, but this was very difficult as it only has a narrow drive and you have to get other residents to move their cars if they block you in! If it's just a simple room and low costs that you want, then I would suggest either Premier Inns or Travelodge. There are a few in and around Coventry. They offer cheap rates and extra for breakfast, but they all have en-suite rooms, TV, tea and coffee making facilities etc.
http://www.premierinn.com/en/

http://www2.travelodge.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Marty

As I'm currently planning my trip to the Ricoh for one of the last games I just want to know if any of you guys knows this place :

http://merlynguesthouse.co.uk/

As I'm looking for an affordable place to stay.
Was at the same hotel for the last times but didn't like it.

It's on one of the main roads into the city, so you have have trouble sleeping with the constant traffic noise outside, I pass it everyday pritty much and it looks clean, tidy and well maintained from the outside, but wouldn't have a clue on the inside of it.

I'mARealWizard

i bet it's wizard!

wizard3

Rich

That idea is not too bad either...:D
Especially as the room rates look quite OK.

I'd prefer the Ricoh to the Merlyn if it was me. Plus the Ricoh is in a good position if you are coming in on the motorway. The rooms are very nice and clean and you'll get on site parking.

Houchens Head

Just curious *****, was there a chip shop in Minster Road when you lived there?

I don't remember a chippy Dutch. I lived there from June 1964 until June 1968. I lived at 103 which is the huge house on the corner of Minster Road. It was a kids home called "Roxborough". This is next door to the afore-mentioned guest house.

dutchman

I don't remember a chippy Dutch. I lived there from June 1964 until June 1968. I lived at 103 which is the huge house on the corner of Minster Road. It was a kids home called "Roxborough". This is next door to the afore-mentioned guest house.

Okay thanks. I'll now have to research what it used to be before it became a chip shop.

Houchens Head

There was a small grocer-cum-tobaconist on the corner (where I believe is now a Londis?) More recently, about 15 years ago, there was the Minster Road Post Office just along a few yards, where there is now, I believe, some sort of take-away. There was nothing else down the hill towards Spon End (via Waverley Rd) until you came to the old Spon Street itself (near the Butts). Then there were quite a few shops.

Houchens Head

Where exactly is this chip shop now? Maybe I could throw some light? I spent my childhood around there.

dutchman

Where exactly is this chip shop now? Maybe I could throw some light? I spent my childhood around there.

It was immediately behind Londis but recently became a curry house.

City planning lists the buildings behind Londis only as "war damaged garages" which may be how you remember them?

Incidentally, the period building on the opposite side of Holyhead Road to Roxborough is now the children's home.

Disorganised1

The Chippy is the old post office - incidently they do great kebabs

Kuklinski

I remember reading about the Mongol lad in the Post Office tackling an armed robber a few years back. Fair play to him.

cloughie

Thanks !!

I hope I'll be there for the Birmingham game if I can get my hands on tickets :)

if you book a month or 2 in advance travlelodge can be as low as £19 a night just for the bed but ok and then you can choose where and what to eat

dutchman

Users who are viewing this thread