Eakinballs

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by Otis, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Maybe this can become a sticky.

Don't wish this to be a rip into Clive Eakin thread, but a Colemanballs type gentle poke for any commentator blunder.

Doesn't have to just be Eakinism's, can be any little bits of commentary where they get it all wrong.

After the Bolton being called Burton and also Sheff Utd and then Peterborough being called Portsmouth and the announcement that QPR were drawing with QPR, Clive Eakin was in fine form last time out.

I didn't notice too much wrong tonight mind.

He did get the subs thing wrong though at half time. Clive didn't spot that Brighton had made a sub and suddenly noticed that Rosenior wasn't on the pitch.

He deduced that Brighton hadn't followed procedure and hadn't made the substitution in the appropriate manner at half time, complaining that they should have made the switch the proper way on the half way line at half time. Also suggested that the rules were maybe different for the Checkatrade Trophy.

Thing was, substituting in the right manner was exactly what Brighton did do. They did make the sub in the right way. They switched a player before the second half kickoff right on the half way line as the rules state. CE just mustn't have seen it, but in his commentary he didn't entertain the notion for a single second that maybe he got it wrong and simply missed it.

QPR 1 QPR 1 is my favourite so far though.

2. skybluesam66

skybluesam66 Well-Known Member

last week geoff foster suggested that the Gillingham game was our first after we came back from Newcastle
    not sure we would have got gates of even 2000 if we had gone to Newcastle

3. Cavan O'Doherty

Cavan O'Doherty Active Member

Geoff Foster is a dreadful presenter

stevefloyd likes this.
  4. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Seems like at times they are just saying any team with the same first letter of who we are playing, or ground of where we are playing at.

ricohroar likes this.
  5. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Then of course we also had Dave Bennett calling DKE Kelly-Holmes.

Wasn't sure if that was deliberate though.

6. no_loyalty

no_loyalty Well-Known Member

Always sounds like Benno is pissed, probably needs to be to work along side Clive and Geoff?

7. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

He seems a nice enough bloke, but I do find it annoying when he keeps saying unfunny stuff and then laughs at what he has just said himself.

In fact, I hate anyone who tells you something and then they are the first person to laugh and continue to laugh when no-one else is laughing.

no_loyalty likes this.
  8. hill83

hill83 Well-Known Member

Clive Eakin, always squeakin

9. Nick

Nick Administrator

I didn't listen to it, never bother from the game as I can probably get a better idea than trying to rely on them.

They would be better off letting somebody else do it.

10. rondog1973

rondog1973 Active Member

My brother used to do some voluntary work for Hospital radio. They used to broadcast from a small box at the back corner of the Sky Blue stand at HR for Cov games. He was assisting the guy who did the commentary one match and said that he'd just pick names at random (providing they were playing) to describe who was in possession citing that the listeners weren't going to know anyhow!

11. Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Dimi_Konstantflapalot Active Member

Geoff Foster is honestly appalling, and Eakin not much better. How they are still in jobs there I do not know.

I have no doubt, as I’m sure many others on here do as well, that I could conduct a post-match interview far better than Foster ever could, with no journalistic experience myself.

ccfchoi87 likes this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Member

I listen to the games regularly on Sky Blues Player and I have to say that Geoff Foster is absolutely dreadful. Seems like a nice bloke, and I feel bad for saying it - what with his illness a couple of years ago - but he is truly dire.

I actually quite like Eakin, though!

Bennett is just embarrassing with his constant references to drinking....

13. Skybluefaz

Skybluefaz Well-Known Member

The best/worst commentary moment from BBC cw came a few years back at Crystal Palace I think. A game being covered by Foster and Martin Winch. They missed a city goal and reported on the game being 1-0 to Palace until it got to half time and Linell told them we'd scored to make it 1-1. How the frig do you miss a goal?

14. stevefloyd

stevefloyd Well-Known Member

Benno goes to my local, loves himself a little and spends lots of time on the slots/bandits whatever the name is for them these days

15. phildownunder

phildownunder Active Member

When I listen to Bennet chatting away and laughing at his own "jokes" it puts me in mind of a description of a recent Australian PM, "The only people who like him are the ones who`ve never met him".

A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet a few ex City players at the Ricoh and at one point someone offered to introduce me to him. When this was done he not only didn`t speak to me, he couldn`t even be bothered to look at me, to the embarrassment of myself and the one who`d introduced me.

I`m sure meeting me wasn`t the greatest thrill of his life and I wasn`t expecting (to paraphrase Basil Fawlty) the Gettysburg address, but I`m reminded of his rudeness and arrogance every time I hear him on CWR.

Oh and BTW I think he is a crap summariser.

eastwoodsdustman likes this.
  16. phildownunder

phildownunder Active Member

I`ve had a lot of problems with CWR reception this season and have had to switch over to the opposition sometimes. (Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Oxford). In each case the commentary has been far superior to the typical CWR coverage IMO.

17. joemercersaces

joemercersaces Active Member

Did they get Geoff Foster in off the street one day? Stumbled across him commentating on Wasps recently when he obviously had a heavy cold and it was comedy gold. I think the average cat would do a better job. I also love how touchy Eakin gets when a caller suggests they could be more robust with the owners (CCFC alias SISU!)

18. Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Earlsdon_Skyblue1 Well-Known Member

Eakin hates being wrong. I'd love to call in at some point and pick on that, not to really be serious, but just to wind him up and get him to have a meltdown on the radio. It would be so easy!

19. no_loyalty

no_loyalty Well-Known Member

What has happened to Stewie? not heard from him for a while

20. IMissMAF

IMissMAF Active Member

I always think Foster sounds like he's on the edge of having a mental breakdown. Sounds depressed the poor sod.

21. trevelfarandwide

trevelfarandwide Well-Known Member

Always preferred Rob Gurney, professional bloke, loved the club etc etc...he did almost cream himself when Noel Whelan scored that wonder goal at Wimbledon in '96 though, he completely forgot Whelan's name, where he was, what he was supposed to be doing...his commentary in the goal's aftermath was a bit like this: ''Ooh, fuhhh...Wheel, uh, Whelan with the cross, sorry, goal and...it went in? McAllister is celebrating with Wheel, uh, Whelan and...well, wha...what a goal that was Geoff??"

Never liked Clive, personally, as it's been mentioned he never likes being wrong and his commentary skills have been quite pants, even from the get-go. In the early days, you could tell Clive and Geoff didn't get on very well, off microphone...it was great how they'd bicker incessantly.

22. stupot07

stupot07 Well-Known Member

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

23. trevelfarandwide

trevelfarandwide Well-Known Member

Nowhere near as bad as that Japanese guy on Youtube, trying to say Massachusetts. :-)

stupot07 likes this.
  24. Houchens Head

Houchens Head Fairly well known member from the Isle of Wight

Geoff Foster started off as a Community Service Volunteer at CWR. I know, because I started there just after him. He passed his Radio Journalism City & Guilds and they gave him a post (I believe temporary at first to see how he got on), and he's been there ever since. Rob Gurney was the best presenter they ever had. Really knew his stuff. He was a really nice guy off-air as well. However, Geoff was a bit of a misery though. Me and one of the other lads at CWR played a joke on him while he was live on air. He was fine at the time but as soon as he came out of the studio he shouted and balled at us for "embarrassing" him in front of all the listeners! We got a right bollocking from the station manager!

no_loyalty likes this.
  25. MusicDating

MusicDating Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

26. Joy Division

Joy Division Well-Known Member

Classy posting right there

27. duffer

duffer Well-Known Member

Personal opinion, but I think some of this is a wee bit harsh. Commentating on a live game, especially for radio, isn't easy. If you don't believe me try it out loud for yourselves the next time you're watching a live game on TV. There's a lot of stuff to get over, player's name, challenger's name, position on the pitch, where the ball is, where it's moving to, etc. etc ... you might want to do this when there's no one else in the house. ;)

As for the phone in, they've got an awful lot more patience than I'd have...

"Well I think you're wrong, Clive."
    "Well I think you're a twat, Pete." (click...)

I am however, brilliant at predicting what the analysts/commentators are going to say in response to an incident on MoTD. You know the stuff like "Ooh, the ref's been a bit harsh there", or "I don't know what (e.g. Costa) was thinking about!". Whether that's because it's so trite and predictable now, or whether it's because I'm a football genius I'll leave to others.

Sadly though I can't become a TV pundit because I don't have trousers that are tight enough and a daft range of shirts.

Westendlad and Waycov like this.
  28. eastwoodsdustman

eastwoodsdustman Well-Known Member

Many years ago me and my mate were in Fatty Arbuckles and saw Benno sleazing up some blonde on the dancefloor. We went up to them and gave it the full Bennooo Bennooo Bennooo for about a minute. She stomped off and he was non too pleased.
    A few years later I was playing cricket against Attleborough and he was playing for them. I was more than a little disappointed in his behaviour ( as he probably was with mine earlier:D). Never meet your heroes as they say.

phildownunder likes this.
  29. Nick

Nick Administrator

What did he do playing cricket?

30. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Well, I have tried this at home and have to say I am pretty good. ;)

And on the blowing your own trumpet theme, a few years back CWR had a stand at the Godiva Festival and you could do the commentary for the 87 cup final and they recorded it for you.

I was told I was pretty much the best one.

Do expect mistakes, but not for Clive Eakin calling Bradford, Burton twice and then call them Sheff Utd.

I have never heard as many mistakes on other radio stations doing commentary.

31. Speedies_Chips

Speedies_Chips Active Member

Although not strictly a commentating mistake, this one is the best ever gaffe for saying the wrong word.

wingy, RegTheDonk, covmark and 2 others like this.
  32. bringbackrattles

bringbackrattles Well-Known Member

Benno as much as we love him for his Cup Exploits is terrible on the radio. Unfunny and sounds as if he's had a rough night.I wish they'd have a clean out on CWR and give us some new voices,its boring listening to the usual presenters.

phildownunder likes this.
  33. eastwoodsdustman

eastwoodsdustman Well-Known Member

Just gobbing off and acting a prick from the sidelines and arrogance beyond the realms of reality.

34. joemercersaces

joemercersaces Active Member

Mate of mine got community service for lamping someone. He had to spend time picking up litter and suchlike. Bet he'd have rather gone on the radio.

35. Nick

Nick Administrator

He used to like the do you know who I am line at Sunday league