Early retirements (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Some cracking retirements on here. Peter Knowles's story is fascinating, and I love this quote about a bloke called de Castro:

A commitment to principles would ultimately end his football career in 1931. Needing a victory to seal their third state title in six years, Atlético found themselves 3-0 down at half-time to Villa Nova in the final match of the season. Four second-half goals from De Castro turned the tide but as Atlético celebrated a remarkable 4-3 win and their championship, one of the club directors shot and killed a Villa Nova fan. A qualified doctor, De Castro retired from football on the spot in protest at the age of 26 and spent the rest of his working life practising medicine in Belo Horizonte, before dying aged 92 in 1998.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tballers-who-voluntarily-retired-in-their-20s

bringbackrattles

Some cracking retirements on here. Peter Knowles's story is fascinating, and I love this quote about a bloke called de Castro:

A commitment to principles would ultimately end his football career in 1931. Needing a victory to seal their third state title in six years, Atlético found themselves 3-0 down at half-time to Villa Nova in the final match of the season. Four second-half goals from De Castro turned the tide but as Atlético celebrated a remarkable 4-3 win and their championship, one of the club directors shot and killed a Villa Nova fan. A qualified doctor, De Castro retired from football on the spot in protest at the age of 26 and spent the rest of his working life practising medicine in Belo Horizonte, before dying aged 92 in 1998.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tballers-who-voluntarily-retired-in-their-20s
Is that the Peter Knowles who was at Wolves and became a Jehovah Witness ?

pastythegreat

David Bentley was decent as well!
David Bentley can suck my fat sweaty balls! He lost me £3grand.
Blackburn away FA cup, £20 on City 3-0 Mifsud first scorer, Adebola last scorer! Had 7 mins to hold out and that c**t shit right over my fucking party!! Tosser! Didn't even like playing football the fucking weirdo! Only done it for hid dad!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

And his brother was Cyril Knowles who, when he scored, always had the chant "Nice one Cyril, nice one son. Nice one Cyril, let's have another one!"
Bet you seen Peter Knowles and Cyril play against us ?
I saw them both one at Wolves the other against Spurs at Highfield Road.Peter was a forward while Cyril was a full back if I recall ? Great memories though ! ☺

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Bet you seen Peter Knowles and Cyril play against us ?
I saw them both one at Wolves the other against Spurs at Highfield Road.Peter was a forward while Cyril was a full back if I recall ? Great memories though ! ☺
I saw so many games in those days BBR. Hardly missed a home game for years, so I would have seen some terrific players, one of my favourites being George Best. Incredible skills.

bringbackrattles

I saw so many games in those days BBR. Hardly missed a home game for years, so I would have seen some terrific players, one of my favourites being George Best. Incredible skills.
I was talking to a mate recently about George Best,and he said he missed seeing him play against us. I saw Georgie three times verses us once at Old Trafford and twice at Highfield Road. And he was kept under control by our defenders in all these games,and I was left happy about that but disappointed that I never saw how great he was. Jimmy Greaves however turned it on against us and he was and still is my favourite ever player.

CJ_covblaze

David Bentley can suck my fat sweaty balls! He lost me £3grand.
Blackburn away FA cup, £20 on City 3-0 Mifsud first scorer, Adebola last scorer! Had 7 mins to hold out and that c**t shit right over my fucking party!! Tosser! Didn't even like playing football the fucking weirdo! Only done it for hid dad!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jonno! As painful it was for you it was great for us. In fact it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Gazolba

<snip> Jimmy Greaves however turned it on against us and he was and still is my favourite ever player.
One of my all-time favourite players too and the best striker England ever had. It was a tragedy he never got to play in the 1966 World Cup QF, SF and Final after being injured (deliberately by a French player) in a group game. I saw him score one marvellous goal for England (can't remember who against) where he just appeared on the edge of the penalty area with three defenders in front of him. The defenders just assumed there was no danger and he would pass it sideways, but he suddenly accelerated and ghosted around all three defenders before they could even react, and slotted it coolly past the GK. Not spectacular, but one of the best goals I've ever seen because it came from absolutely nothing.

bringbackrattles

One of my all-time favourite players too and the best striker England ever had. It was a tragedy he never got to play in the 1966 World Cup QF, SF and Final after being injured (deliberately by a French player) in a group game. I saw him score one marvellous goal for England (can't remember who against) where he just appeared on the edge of the penalty area with three defenders in front of him. The defenders just assumed there was no danger and he would pass it sideways, but he suddenly accelerated and ghosted around all three defenders before they could even react, and slotted it coolly past the GK. Not spectacular, but one of the best goals I've ever seen because it came from absolutely nothing.
I met Greavsie at the Central studios when he was doing Saint and Greavsie many years ago. I was with my then young son and he gave me his autograph.I was so starstruck I could hardly talk,but he was funny and a great bloke. My lad outside said to me ," dad, who was that fat old bloke who talked about football to you ? " Fat old bloke,cheeky little sod !

CJ_covblaze

One of England's biggest losses to early retirement was Dean Ashton. Would love to have seen how much he would've been worth and how many international goals he would've scored if he played on for a few more years.

lewys33

Jonno! As painful it was for you it was great for us. In fact it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

I'm not sure if it is Jonno actually ..... I'm sure jonno had 3-1 to city and was the only guy in the stand screaming "NOOOO!" when we sunk the 4th .......

CJ_covblaze

I'm not sure if it is Jonno actually ..... I'm sure jonno had 3-1 to city and was the only guy in the stand screaming "NOOOO!" when we sunk the 4th .......

Do bears have a good memory?

Gazolba

Stan Colleymore could have been a really great player, one of England's best ever, but he just couldn't keep his life and career on track.
He possessed all the qualities of really great players, but never fulfilled his tremendous potential:

From Wikipedia:
The Daily Telegraph wrote in 2004: "...that Until Wayne Rooney came along, Collymore was as naturally talented an individual as British football has produced in 40 years. According to John Gregory, one of his many former managers, he 'had everything Thierry Henry has got and more'. His tragedy, as director John Moulson's fascinating portrait of him revealed, was to be totally unsuited temperamentally to the business into which his enormous skills led him. The concept of being a team player was way beyond someone so self-absorbed."

trevelfarandwide

Not exactly a list topper here, but Espen Baardsen the goalie retired at 25 after a very promising early career in the Premiership. I remember seeing him play a few times, for Spurs and Everton, he was a solid commanding goalie in the Schmeichel mold.

Our very own treacle-towner Lee Hu/irst, anyone? What a left foot that lad had, he was destined to be a top player for us. :-(

Joy Division

Stan Colleymore could have been a really great player, one of England's best ever, but he just couldn't keep his life and career on track.
He possessed all the qualities of really great players, but never fulfilled his tremendous potential:

Paul McGregor, ex Forest striker mentions how good a player Collymore was to play with in this interview.

"I can remember a game that we were losing 2-0 and around the 78th minute, I can remember him (Collymore) yelling, ‘Give me the ball’. He got the ball and bang, 2-1. They kicked off. ‘Give me the ball’. Bang. 2-2. And again. Bang. He walked off the pitch and went for a pint. I can clearly remember him just shouting, ‘Give me the fucking ball".

http://www.inthetopone.com/2015/2/2...ex-footballer-an-interview-with-paul-mcgregor

McGregor was another player who retired early from the game as he just wasn't really into it. He combined his career alongside being in a band and was the kind of player who didn't really fit in with his fellow professionals. Really good interview in that link above, especially his views on Northampton!

Users who are viewing this thread