Election 2015 (1 Viewer)

bigfatronssba

Democracy is strange 63% of people voted against the Tory party but thats what we got.

An example of the fragmented politacal system.

50.06% of the UK voted for Conservatives, UKIP, and the DUP. Basically the 3 right wing parties.

On 90% of domestic issues those parties are identical.

dutchman

BOB090515_3297833a.jpg

Ashdown

It simply is not fair and as someone quite rightly said this morning, FPTP makes people vote differently to how they would under another system.

Example:

Green Party local MP said he won a seat on the local council and did so with 62% of the vote.

Then he went for the general election and polled 12% of the vote. He said that people said they wanted to vote for him but knew the Green's wouldn't win.

We need to decide whether it should be about choosing an MP to represent you, or whether you are just voting for a party.

If things don't change it will always be Labour or Conservative. Can't see how that is at all healthy, especially with the likes of myself, who didn't like Cameron or Milliband. As Nick Clegg rightly said, we were always going to get either one or the other.

The Purple revolution is coming and when they have polished up the manifesto for 2020, got rid of the handful of idiots and put in place an articulate and mature balanced set of policies to back up the majority of things that they have right then we will have a challenge to the Tories. The pathetic left wing media and the BBC have to give them a fair crack of the whip going forward or you can expect one party politics for a long time. 4 million people have no ideal representatives thanks to a broken system that could have given the sensible working man a true voice !

stupot07

8 Labour wins. The first in 1974 was a hung parliament.

SNP has seriously affected Labours ability to win.

19 general elections post world war 2, most votes in England:

Labour 3 times
Conservative 16 times

In England? Last time I checked the general election was for the whole of the UK. Perhaps we just give devolution to regions. The south east and west can be labour run and the North East and west can be labour and the rest can fight among themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

An example of the fragmented politacal system.

50.06% of the UK voted for Conservatives, UKIP, and the DUP. Basically the 3 right wing parties.

On 90% of domestic issues those parties are identical.

Lolling. UKIP's domestic policies were bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

Didn't take long, look like its all kicking off around Westminster. Wasn't it Clegg who said before the previous general election 'if the tories win there will be riots on the streets'? He was right then and it looks like we might be getting more of the same.

In other news UKIP supporters are now claiming Farage only lost as it was rigged! Don't believe that for a second but every time I vote I do wonder why its in pencil.

dutchman

It'll be interesting to see if all those new jobs announced for the Coventry area just before the election actually materialise now the election is over or whether they were just hot air?

Nick

Administrator
They all look like hippies protesting.

Graffiti on a war memorial too, drag them round the back and kick fuck out of them.

Macca

Standard bully boy behaviour. Get the party out who we don't like but won in a democratic election or we will smash the place up. Oh and cause more public expense in the process.....bravo! Fuck off back to Mummy and Daddy's nice house in the Home Counties and stop making a nuisance of yourselves.

Otis

They all look like hippies protesting.

Graffiti on a war memorial too, drag them round the back and kick fuck out of them.

Even our Charlotte? :eek:

_82883450_church.jpg

Singer Charlotte Church joined a rally in Cardiff, protesting against austerity cuts

Sky Blue Pete

Absolutely understandable as inequality increases that people will take to the streets? Those of you asking for them to have the shit kicked out of them what would make you protest? Anti war? Poll tax? Removal of human rights act?

skybluetony176

Some of these protesters make me laugh. I remember when the bank protests were happening after the banks were bailed out by the labour government so all the bankers would still get their bonuses even though they failed (that's right labour the party for the working class people). On the news as a hippie type was throwing a bin through the window of a HSBC another white person with dreadlocks I'd be fairly sure lived in a converted ambulance looked at the TV camera and stated "our taxes, our banks". Now I normally wouldn't stereotype but I couldn't help but think. Your taxes? Really!

Nick

Administrator
Absolutely understandable as inequality increases that people will take to the streets? Those of you asking for them to have the shit kicked out of them what would make you protest? Anti war? Poll tax? Removal of human rights act?
So spray painting on war memorials is ok?

bigfatronssba

In England? Last time I checked the general election was for the whole of the UK. Perhaps we just give devolution to regions. The south east and west can be labour run and the North East and west can be labour and the rest can fight among themselves.

The point I was making (as I am sure you are aware) is that Labour never win in England, yet that is now their only chance of getting back into power.

bigfatronssba

Civilised people "protest" by voting out the party that they do not like. Scum like this are trying to impose their will on the rest of us. Why should I live in a way that they want? Why should I do what they want? What legitimacy have they got to tell me what to do?

I bet half of these tossers didnt even vote.

Macca

The people who hijack these protests essentially would protest about anything at all so long as it involved a day out from Middle / Upper Class England to be a bit naughty. Posh football hooligans essentially.

chiefdave

This protest was, or at least started out, as a protest for electoral reform on the basis that less than 25% of the population voted for those who are now in power. As with many things a handful of idiots have taken the focus off the main message.

bigfatronssba

One thing I don't understand with people crying foul of the voting system, more people have voted for the PM in this election than any other since 1997.

Why were there no protests in 2001, 2005 & 2010?

skybluetony176

This protest was, or at least started out, as a protest for electoral reform on the basis that less than 25% of the population voted for those who are now in power. As with many things a handful of idiots have taken the focus off the main message.

Is that 25% of the population or 25% of registered voters? 25% of the population probably isn't that bad when you consider how many people can't vote down to age or not being a UK citizen etc. Even if it's 25% of registered voters you still have to consider what percentage it is of the turnout.

chiefdave

One thing I don't understand with people crying foul of the voting system, more people have voted for the PM in this election than any other since 1997.

Why were there no protests in 2001, 2005 & 2010?

There has for a long team been a growing movement seeking electoral reform. I think the thing that has brought it into the spotlight in this particular election is the SNP and UKIP / Green vote. It gives an easily understandable example of the problem with FPTP.

chiefdave

Is that 25% of the population or 25% of registered voters? 25% of the population probably isn't that bad when you consider how many people can't vote down to age or not being a UK citizen etc. Even if it's 25% of registered voters you still have to consider what percentage it is of the turnout.

It's around 24% of registered voters.

Macca

Exactly they wreck every cause they set out to "support"

bigfatronssba

There has for a long team been a growing movement seeking electoral reform. I think the thing that has brought it into the spotlight in this particular election is the SNP and UKIP / Green vote. It gives an easily understandable example of the problem with FPTP.

I have no issue in reforming the voting system (with what I am not sure though as PR also has its problems), but it annoys me how some people are now trying to claim the government has no mandate to carry out its policies because less than 50% voted for them.

Less than 50% of people voted for the creation of the NHS, less than 50% of people voted for devolution, less than 50% of the people voted for the welfare state.

It seems they are fine with the legitimacy of governments with less than 50% of the vote provided they do what they want them to do.

NorthernWisdom

I have no issue in reforming the voting system (with what I am not sure though as PR also has its problems), but it annoys me how some people are now trying to claim the government has no mandate to carry out its policies because less than 50% voted for them.

Less than 50% of people voted for the creation of the NHS, less than 50% of people voted for devolution, less than 50% of the people voted for the welfare state.

It seems they are fine with the legitimacy of governments with less than 50% of the vote provided they do what they want them to do.

Of course the counter-argument is if you end up with a coalition in PR, 0% of people vote for that!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Can't believe people are STILL posting about the bloody election! It's OVER folks!

bigfatronssba

Of course the counter-argument is if you end up with a coalition in PR, 0% of people vote for that!

Exactly, and that is why I have reservations about it.

Not one single person voted for the last government, yet that would be a much more frequent occurrence under pr.

chiefdave

Do you know what percentage it was of of people who actually voted? Surely that's the important figure here?

Conservatives had 37% of the vote, 51% of the seats
Labour had 30% of the vote, 36% of the seats
SNP had 5% of the vote, 9% of the seats
Lib Dem had 8% of the vote, 1% of the seats
UKIP had 13% of the vote, 0% of the seats
Green had 4% of the vote, 0% of the seats

UKIP and Green both won 1 seat which rounds down to 0%

If you're arguing for electoral reform on the basis that the majority of the populations vote counts for nothing then there is an argument that the most important figure is the % that didn't vote. How many people didn't vote or voted for a party other than their first choice?

The theory is that you have stability through continuity and due to the system a more centrist government. Supports of PR would argue the type of coalition you would get under PR would be very different to the recent government.

NorthernWisdom

The theory is that you have stability through continuity and due to the system a more centrist government. Supports of PR would argue the type of coalition you would get under PR would be very different to the recent government.

Theory and practice don't always work though do they - Italy being a case in point. You also get undue influence from minority extreme parties too - imagine a coalition of DUP, UKIP, Greens... not overly central, that.

And if everything moves to the centre regardless of election, is there a point in elections full-stop?

Not against PR as such, but not sure it's the saviour it's made out to be. Our system is certainly not perfect (it elects the wrong PM far too often for my liking ;) ) but there is something to be said for a strong government able to put into action its own manifesto.

Users who are viewing this thread