England at Euros (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Team photo on the plane. Note how Rooney is next to Hodgson. Does this indicate he is sure to start and thus doom England to mediocrity? We need Vardy and Kane up front with Alli behind with Rooney nowhere in sight.
Rooney-and-England.jpg

CJ_covblaze

Probably stood there as he's captain.

Terry Gibson's perm

Of course Rooney will start the worlds highest paid international manager has said he will, injury is the only thing that will keep him out.

Otis

Of course Rooney will start the worlds highest paid international manager has said he will, injury is the only thing that will keep him out.

Think he has scored something like 11 goals in the last 15 games for England. That in itself makes him worthy of his place.

skybluegod

Rooney is still indispensable to England, we need that experience and calm head in there who can create something.
We do have some brilliant young talent but most people are calling for ateam along the lines of:

Hart
Walker-Smalling-Cahill-Rose
------------Dier
------Alli------Wilshere/Henderson
----------Barkley
-------Vardy- Kane

While I realise this is not everybody's team. and there are others such as Sturridge, Sterling, Stones. The point is that only 3 of the above starting line up has real tournament experience (Hart, Cahill and Wilshere/Henderson), it is vital imo that Rooney plays as he is so experienced, and he can lead the team. Especially when you look at the team, and how few caps it has in midfield and up front. Play him as the 10 behind your front two and I think we will do quite well.

Tad

Rooney seems to do best when he just thinks "screw the game plan" and does what he likes I find. Quite funny really.

How do we think they'll do then?

Liquid Gold

If we play Rooney we have to drop one of Kane or vardy, while I'm not necessarily for that we need to ensure we're not forcing players in out of position. Kane playing on the right against Portugal being an example

Otis

If we play Rooney we have to drop one of Kane or vardy, while I'm not necessarily for that we need to ensure we're not forcing players in out of position. Kane playing on the right against Portugal being an example

Well I didn't think Kane and Vardy together worked at all, so that would be an easy split up and Kane is the better player to my mind.

skybluegod

Should be Sturridge and Kane for me up top with Rooney supporting. Vardy to come on with 20 mins to go, to just run in behind a tried defence

Gazolba

Rooney has never performed at any major tournament and I don't expect this one to be any different. We need to pick our best players in their preferred positions. That leaves no room for Rooney except coming on to replace one of our starters as a sub. I think he could be quite valuable as a sub.

CJ_covblaze

Rooney has never performed at any major tournament and I don't expect this one to be any different. We need to pick our best players in their preferred positions. That leaves no room for Rooney except coming on to replace one of our starters as a sub. I think he could be quite valuable as a sub.

What about 2004?

CJ_covblaze

Gotta agree, Wazza was on fire before he sadly got injured, but hasn't really shone since in Tourno's :(

If he hadn't got injured we would've won it. That tournament was there for the taking. Not alone really is he.

vow

If he hadn't got injured we would've won it. That tournament was there for the taking. Not alone really is he.
My thoughts too, we could have won that with him fit. You're right, he wasn't alone, but being our talisman he didn't deliver with all that expectation/pressure on him.

Covstu

It will be Kane and Rooney upfront on Saturday. The formation didn't work against Portugal and you could see the frustration is Roy's face after the game. I hope we don't have one plan as we have many options and he cannot be afraid to change it up. Going back to 96, we changed the formation early in the game against Scotland and it worked but then reverted back to the back four for the Holland game which again worked. We need to stay nimble against the teams in front of us.

Liquid Gold

It will be Kane and Rooney upfront on Saturday. The formation didn't work against Portugal and you could see the frustration is Roy's face after the game. I hope we don't have one plan as we have many options and he cannot be afraid to change it up. Going back to 96, we changed the formation early in the game against Scotland and it worked but then reverted back to the back four for the Holland game which again worked. We need to stay nimble against the teams in front of us.

Agree with this. I just hope we give a good showing this time around. We've seen so many international tournament with terrible games finishing 0-0 or 1-0 either way, with our young squad I don't mind if we don't go really far but it would be good to see us playing without fear having a go at teams. I think Hodgson will definitely loose the support of the public and the FA if we're terrible again.

no_loyalty

Not looked at our possible opponents beyond the group stage, but if we can avoid France and Germany, I think we will progress to at least the semi final

Tad

Germany don't concern me as much now as they're in the middle of a transition in players. Of course, they're still tough, but I'd say France is a bigger concern.

I think England could actually struggle in our group mind. On paper, England look like they have a good chance of finishing top of the group, but for me, the teams they face could lead to some real slip ups. I'm not sure why, but I do think England will lose to Wales due to the way they play.

mark82

I know they're only friendlies but we've beaten both Germany and France in the last year. Spain still bother me slightly but I think this tournament is wide open which gives us every chance. It's the best chance we've had since 2004 IMO.

I don't get all this anti Rooney stuff. He's been England's best player the last 2 years and is our all time record scorer. The position behind the striker(s) suits his style of play. He deserves his place.

ajsccfc

I think he's the last remnant of the 'golden generation' so makes an easy scapegoat. Not that the criticisms are wholly unjustified, 10 years between tournament goals isn't a great stat whatever the reasoning behind it.

Dele Alli shows hints of a short fuse, so he's a Beckham flick away from being the new national villain once Rooney's done. The media needs one at all times.

Covstu

Agree on Ali, he has the potential to be a superstar or a villain. Just needs to be told to calm it down but I suppose you do that then you take the fire out of him which makes him the player he is. I cant wait until Saturday now!!

sbadey

Rooney is still indispensable to England, we need that experience and calm head in there who can create something.
We do have some brilliant young talent but most people are calling for ateam along the lines of:

Hart
Walker-Smalling-Cahill-Rose
------------Dier
------Alli------Wilshere/Henderson
----------Barkley
-------Vardy- Kane

While I realise this is not everybody's team. and there are others such as Sturridge, Sterling, Stones. The point is that only 3 of the above starting line up has real tournament experience (Hart, Cahill and Wilshere/Henderson), it is vital imo that Rooney plays as he is so experienced, and he can lead the team. Especially when you look at the team, and how few caps it has in midfield and up front. Play him as the 10 behind your front two and I think we will do quite well.
???

Sent from my Versus TouchPad 9 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread